Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags WR roles

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 03:26 PM by JagJohn.)

So I was reading this article about WR roles in the draft class (https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/bre...-nfl-roles) and it got me thinking about how the Jags WRs fit into these roles. I also realised I'm not entirely sure on any of these, so it'll be interesting to get the always wise input from the great minds of the mb.

X Receiver ("When you think of X receivers, the image should be that of your traditional “number 1” wide receiver. A player gifted with size and strength, who mostly operated along the boundary and was successful down the field. The prime example in recent memory would be Calvin Johnson. In 2019, think Mike Evans." 

I guess this is the role that Moncrief was cast in last season, with limited success. Looking at the roster now, I imagine Chark is the man to play this role, but I haven't seen enough of him to really guage what type of player he is. He is certainly big and fast. Otherwise, I guess Keelan Cole could be used as an X, possibly. It seems this is the type of receiver we need to aim for in the draft, but of course every team wants a big, strong, downfield threat on their team, so they aren't exactly easy to come by.

Z Receiver ("With the ability to go in motion, the Z receiver’s alignment will vary more than the X. This generally means more routes that break over the middle, and a more diverse route tree. The easiest example of a Z receiver skill set in today’s NFL would be Stefon Diggs.")

This is easier to peg for the Jags, with both Lee and Westbrook being well-suited to the Z role and a more diverse route tree.

Slot Receiver ("One recent evolution seen in the NFL is that of the “slot” receiver. It’s almost as if two roles now occupy the slot, the traditional role and the “Big” slot.")

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that Cole spent most of the time playing out the slot last season for the Jags. You'd imagine that Westbrook and Lee have the ability to play from the slot too, and maybe Chark could be used as a big slot type.

Of course the Jags scheme generally wants WRs who are interchangable and will ask all of them to line up at different positions too.

How do you see the Jags WR roles this year, and what do you think we need to target to improve the unit?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Westbrook excels from the slot (y) but is productive at Z

Lee excels at Z but is good in the slot and OK at X if he’s going vertical

Chark should be ideally be a Z guy because he beats you off the line with finesse, not physicality

Chark sucks until proven otherwise
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 06:09 PM by Brett.)

(03-15-2019, 05:12 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Chark sucks until proven otherwise

Seriously? After one season? I've never understood why fans do this towards any player after one year. Makes no sense to me. I know they are professional athletes but imagine yourself going into a brand new environment, let alone the NFL which is an extremely hard adjustment. Isn't there a slight chance it could take you some time to adjust? It's still early...be patient and give it some time.

(03-15-2019, 06:03 PM)Brett Wrote:

Seriously? After one season? I've never understood why fans do this towards any player after one year. Makes no sense to me. I know they are professional athletes but imagine yourself going into a brand new environment, let alone the NFL which is an extremely hard adjustment. Isn't there a slight chance it could take you some time to adjust?

to be fair he did say until proven otherwise

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 06:13 PM by Brett.)

(03-15-2019, 06:09 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 06:03 PM)Brett Wrote: Seriously? After one season? I've never understood why fans do this towards any player after one year. Makes no sense to me. I know they are professional athletes but imagine yourself going into a brand new environment, let alone the NFL which is an extremely hard adjustment. Isn't there a slight chance it could take you some time to adjust?

to be fair he did say until proven otherwise

I understand, but why not just say he is average then until proven otherwise? To say he sucks is just a little pre-mature, in my opinion. Sorry, I don't mean to argue with anyone. It just has always bothered me.

You can say that about every rookie too

(03-15-2019, 06:10 PM)Brett Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 06:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: to be fair he did say until proven otherwise

I understand, but why not just say he is average then until proven otherwise? To say he sucks is just a little pre-mature, in my opinion. Sorry, I don't mean to argue with anyone. It just has always bothered me.

he hasn't shown average play yet. Yeah its pre-mature to say he sucks , haven't seen anywhere near enough yet.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 06:22 PM by Brett.)

(03-15-2019, 06:17 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 06:10 PM)Brett Wrote: I understand, but why not just say he is average then until proven otherwise? To say he sucks is just a little pre-mature, in my opinion. Sorry, I don't mean to argue with anyone. It just has always bothered me.

he hasn't shown average play yet. Yeah its pre-mature to say he sucks , haven't seen anywhere near enough yet.

I understand he maybe hasn't even shown average play yet but my point being it's only been a year. Give it time before saying he just sucks. He was a rookie.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2019, 07:14 PM by Caldrac.)

We need another receiver or two. Can't count on Lee to finish a season. Cole disappeared and couldn't catch a cold for what seemed like all year after that circus catch at home against the Patriots. Westbrook is really the only consistent player we have at the position. And he's proven he can tick some wicked licks over the middle and not let it phase him on the next play over the middle.

At this point with Tannehill being traded to Miami. I am hoping that Murray or Haskins slip to us at the 7th overall slot and we somehow work out a trade with Miami to take that 13th slot and maybe a 2nd RD pick and possibly next year's 1st or 2nd RD pick.

That would allow us to slip back and grab a guy like D.K Metcalf or T.J Hockenson at TE to help in the receiving game. And then have the 48th overall pick from Miami along with our own 38th overall pick would allow them to do some interesting things. They could maybe grab another receiver like Deebo Samuel or Marquise Brown and take yet another TE like Fant if they wanted to.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-15-2019, 07:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote: We need another receiver or two. Can't count on Lee to finish a season. Cole disappeared and couldn't catch a cold for what seemed like all year after that circus catch at home against the Patriots. Westbrook is really the only consistent player we have at the position. And he's proven he can tick some wicked licks over the middle and not let it phase him on the next play over the middle.

At this point with Tannehill being traded to Miami. I am hoping that Murray or Haskins slip to us at the 7th overall slot and we somehow work out a trade with Miami to take that 13th slot and maybe a 2nd RD pick and possibly next year's 1st or 2nd RD pick.

That would allow us to slip back and grab a guy like D.K Metcalf or T.J Hockenson at TE to help in the receiving game. And then have the 48th overall pick from Miami along with our own 38th overall pick would allow them to do some interesting things. They could maybe grab another receiver like Deebo Samuel or Marquise Brown and take yet another TE like Fant if they wanted to.

I have hope for Cole. It's not that he disappeared, it's that he was banished to the bench because he seemed like he was turning the ball over every time he caught it. But he *was* getting open and making catches in the meantime. If he can get his head right, he can be a decent receiver.  At 100%, Westbrook, Lee, and Cole have the makings of a decent receiver group although I'll admit a clear #1 might still be needed. Don't sleep on Westbrook though for that, he good.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

LOL

he’s flashed more than to be relegated to “sucks” 

If you pay attention - his speed and ability to get open quickly have been displayed — ball tracking skill too — 
His hands are what we’re waiting on

He doesn’t suck. He’s shown promise but not the total package yet.

This board ... sheesh ... OP starts a thread about roles and knuckleheads just go to “so and so sucks” 

Blown away by the football intellect here

(03-15-2019, 08:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

LOL

If you pay attention - his speed and ability to get open quickly have been displayed — ball tracking skill too — 

This board ... sheesh ... OP starts a thread about roles and knuckleheads just go to “so and so sucks” 

It also didn't help there were several occasions where he was WIDE OPEN and Bortles either: scrambled, took a sack, threw to a more covered receiver.

(03-15-2019, 06:22 PM)Brett Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 06:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: he hasn't shown average play yet. Yeah its pre-mature to say he sucks , haven't seen anywhere near enough yet.

I understand he maybe hasn't even shown average play yet but my point being it's only been a year. Give it time before saying he just sucks. He was a rookie.

Yeah I'm agreeing with you

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Two different first year WRs. One is Chark, the other is.....[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]G.  Yds.  Avg.   Long  TD[/font]

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]16  167.  10.4.   26.      0[/font]

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto-Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, HelveticaNeue, sans-serif-light, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]14   174    12.4    38.     0[/font][/font][/font]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2019, 10:53 PM)Hflsprtsgod Wrote: [font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Two different first year WRs. One is Chark, the other is.....[/font][/font]

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]16  167.  10.4.   26.      0[/font]

[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto-Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, HelveticaNeue, sans-serif-light, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]14   174    12.4    38.     0[/font][/font][/font]
A real cliffhanger ... who is the second?
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-15-2019, 10:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif][font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Two different first year WRs. One is Chark, the other is.....[/font][/font]

[Image: giphy.gif]

The second is Chark, first one is Antonio Brown.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2019, 08:47 PM)roycee Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 08:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

It also didn't help there were several occasions where he was WIDE OPEN and Bortles either: scrambled, took a sack, threw to a more covered receiver.

Not to mention the fact that he had a whopping 32 targets as a rookie.  It's not a lot to go on. 

But I like the kid's upside.  He's sneaky at beating his guy at the L.O.S. to get a clean release downfield. It's one of the reasons why he did well as a gunner in several games. And it's also why I think the Z  will be the most dangerous place to line him up since he'll be off the line by a step and won't have to engage in a bunch of hand fighting to get free. 
He tracks the ball in flight well  - and he's got long speed. Could be an interesting deep threat if he and Foles find some chemistry and he gets a little sharper with his hands.

How does Conley fit into this?