Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign LB Jake Ryan, formerly of Packers

(03-19-2019, 02:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 02:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Probably - but I don't know. Telvin got rag-dolled around vs. the run in a number of games last year. 
I think Jack might play that spot better in base downs. 
Kinda' depends on how much they trust Jacobs at SAM I guess. 

(personally, I'm with you on the overblown narrative take.  I think Ryan is more a candidate to play SAM in the short term than to displace Jack at Mike in base or otherwise)

The tackling technique Telvin has at this stage of his career is laughable to be fair and another thought I just had was if we join the dots on Dom Capers being here to design more pressure packages then Jacobs is bar far the best pass rushing LB we have so maybe we see it on the field more? Just spitballing on that.  

Whatever happens , Ryan is a v good pickup

Good points.

And I really like the contract terms, 1.25M against the cap this season (prove it year) and 6.2M in 2020 but with only 250K in dead money if we cut him before next season. Good one.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think our best lineup might actually be:

LDE - Campbell
NT - Abry Jones
DT - Marcell Dareus (3-technique)
RDE - Ngakoue

SLB - Jack (MLB in nickel)
MLB - Ryan
WLB - Telvin

CB - Jalen Ramsey
CB - AJ Bouye
NCB - DJ Hayden
SS - Harrison
FS - Wilson

the safeties are interchangeable, Hayden will probably play way more than Ryan with Jack shifting to MLB in nickel, Taven Bryan will rotate in constantly but having Abry Jones just eat blocks and letting dareus play the 3 technique so he can actually focus on getting upfield to rush like he did in Bufalo, rather than just stuffing the run.

I think we need to add another edge rusher. If Campbell or Ngakoue suffer any kind of injury that forces them to miss time.. we're in trouble. McCray has flashed but idk if he can keep it up for a whole season; Smoot has looked better but not enough to inspire confidence if he were thrust into a front line role for an extended period. The Ryan signing shored up LB, if we have an injury at CB Hayden has shown in Detroit he can be a #2 CB and hold his own. Safety might need some depth though.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...47872?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-26-2019, 02:35 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...47872?s=21

This was my thought at the time of the signing. I think Myles and Telvin get a shot at redemption in 2019 and Ryan gets SAM snaps.

Marrone on Myles Jack/ Ryan situation:

Is the Ryan signing an indication that Jack won't be starting at MIKE?

No...  Myles Jack is an interesting subject...  My perspective on Myles Jack seems to be very different from everyone elses.
paraphrasing:  We're lucky to have a guy that can go play Sam or Will and now Mike. In the beginning - you just have to get experience. Look at how quickly he picked that up.
MJ is not too big that he can't run with receivers on 3rd down, he's not too small that the linemen are blocking him out, struggles to make a tackle.  He's big, he's fast, he's got ball skills.
He's good enough to play any LB spot and be the best at that spot.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!