Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TPC

Do you go to watch it? I have, but in all honesty - even if I have free tickets - I prefer to watch it on TV than go, and it's nearly in my backyard. 

I'm glad I have experienced it live, but a few times was enough. I find it boring and I'm not a fan of crowds. 

But don't get me wrong: I'm glad it's played here and I hope it stays (even though the traffic can be a pain, so we barely go out this week).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2019, 03:23 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Do you go to watch it? I have, but in all honesty - even if I have free tickets - I prefer to watch it on TV than go, and it's nearly in my backyard. 

I'm glad I have experienced it live, but a few times was enough. I find it boring and I'm not a fan of crowds. 

But don't get me wrong: I'm glad it's played here and I hope it stays (even though the traffic can be a pain, so we barely go out this week).

Of course it is going to stay. It's the PGA flagship event and the tour is headquartered out of PV. It will likely be here until the end of time.

I spent all day there today with my son and we thoroughly enjoyed it. 

And my tickets were free.  Tongue

I didn't know how I would feel about it in march but I have to say to say the cooler temp was quite nice. I had benefactor tickets but I spent quite a bit more time than I usually would if it was a scorching may event. Fleetwood has been fun to watch

I go a day or two every year and definitely prefer the move back to March.  Like any major sporting event, there are both attractions and drawbacks to attending.  I like the freedom to watch who and what I want, versus what the broadcast chooses to show.  Traffic, waiting in line for the bathroom and $8 beers all make good reasons to stay home and watch on TV.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019, 12:14 PM by homebiscuit.)

This is my third time visiting and I appreciated the cooler temps. 

I learned that this course was designed to be played in March and anyone who plays golf can see the differences. The balls don't travel as far and the fairways and greens are softer, not to mention the winds which can wreak havoc on drives and approach shots. To me, it just seems a much more challenging course to play this time of year.

Borrrrrrrrriiiiinnngggg

It's been downright chilly the last two days! It's been a good tourney so far.

(03-17-2019, 04:17 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Borrrrrrrrriiiiinnngggg

If that was boring, I'd like to see what you call exciting.

(03-17-2019, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is my third time visiting and I appreciated the cooler temps. 

I learned that this course was designed to be played in March and anyone who plays golf can see the differences. The balls don't travel as far and the fairways and greens are softer, not to mention the winds which can wreak havoc on drives and approach shots. To me, it just seems a much more challenging course to play this time of year.

I agree that the weather made the final round very interesting.   And I did notice, the drives were not going very far at all.  I remember one of the commentators saying Rory McIlroy had crushed a drive, and it went all of 309.   In other tournaments, it's not unusual to see drives go 350.   

I went to the Wednesday practice round.  What I really love is watching the pros hit balls on the driving range.

(03-18-2019, 05:17 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 12:13 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is my third time visiting and I appreciated the cooler temps. 

I agree that the weather made the final round very interesting.   And I did notice, the drives were not going very far at all.  I remember one of the commentators saying Rory McIlroy had crushed a drive, and it went all of 309.   In other tournaments, it's not unusual to see drives go 350.   

I went to the Wednesday practice round.  What I really love is watching the pros hit balls on the driving range.

I was also there on Wednesday.

I like going to the 12th green and watching them try to drive it on from 350 with the water looming on the left.  
Had to work in Charleston yesterday or I'd have gone. 

More of them try it during practice rounds than in the tournament so you get to see lots of guys take shots at the green or find the water. Many of them will hit multiple tee shots there to determine strategy and they'll chip on from several places around the green as well. 

The taco stand in close proximity is a plus too.

My son and I discovered a spot to get pretty close to the players without a big crowd. We even watched Ian Poulter go to the bathroom.

(03-18-2019, 08:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My son and I discovered a spot to get pretty close to the players without a big crowd. We even watched Ian Poulter go to the bathroom.

I...um...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I go every year. Big fan of the event. Went friday and saturday. Always watch the final round on television though. Great tournament this year. Weather was perfect (at least on friday and saturday). Exciting final round. Could argue this tournament has one of the best collection of winners of any of the major events. Adding Rory strengthens that argument.

I went Thursday-Saturday. Would've gone Sunday but caught a cold and the weather wasn't looking to great. This was one of the better tournaments we've had in several years, and I can't help but think moving it back to March was a major factor. All around a huge success for the PGA Tour and The Players with the weather, a stacked leader board full of young superstars, the hometown hero Furyk making a last minute charge, and Rory ultimately winning fighting off a strong field to create major buzz for The Masters in a month.