Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs With L.A. Rams

Does anyone know if there is any offset to the Cap for his signing. If i remember correctly if we cut him there was no offset we take the hit all this year. If we cut him june 1st, it is split in 2 years and there is offset if he is signed. They chose to take the hit this year in case the year fails and there is no dead money next year for a new GM. If some capologist knows for sure it would be appreciated.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-19-2019, 11:25 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Does anyone know if there is any offset to the Cap for his signing. If i remember correctly if we cut him there was no offset we take the hit all this year. If we cut him june 1st, it is split in 2 years and there is offset if he is signed. They chose to take the hit this year in case the year fails and there is no dead money next year for a new GM. If some capologist knows for sure it would be appreciated.

There will be an offset this year for whatever his 2019 salary is. That number is not public just yet.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 01:04 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-19-2019, 11:25 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Does anyone know if there is any offset to the Cap for his signing. If i remember correctly if we cut him there was no offset we take the hit all this year. If we cut him june 1st, it is split in 2 years and there is offset if he is signed. They chose to take the hit this year in case the year fails and there is no dead money next year for a new GM. If some capologist knows for sure it would be appreciated.

As NYC stated, we’re getting an offset.  The only stipulation for it was if he was paid by another team this year.   Didn’t matter at all if he was cut by us.  The offset can be up to his 2019 guarantee amount which is $6.5 million.  If this were a 2 or 3 year deal I’d feel better about things as far as the offset goes, but with a 1 year deal the Rams don’t have to pay him much because the Jags are paying the difference between whatever the Rams are paying him and the $6.5 million guarantee.

I’m expecting his Ram salary to be whatever the minimum is for players of his tenure. Probably something around $1 million. Unless the Rams paid him more than $6.5 million, there’s no reason to pay him more than the minimum.

(03-18-2019, 09:46 PM)surfon Wrote: So what he chose to sit the bench vs competing to start.  To me that's an odd choice.  It better be at least 5 mil.

I would have chose holding a clipboard in beautiful LA too. Also, don't forget he get's to learn under Sean McVay. Probably looking to take a year or two in LA and then go compete for a gig with his newfound knowledge/wisdom from McVay. Things are good for Blake.

(03-19-2019, 11:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

There will be an offset this year for whatever his 2019 salary is. That number is not public just yet.

Offsets are credited in the following year's cap, so we would see a salary cap credit in 2020.

(03-19-2019, 01:16 PM)Gettin\ Jaggy with it Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 11:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There will be an offset this year for whatever his 2019 salary is. That number is not public just yet.

Offsets are credited in the following year's cap, so we would see a salary cap credit in 2020.

right but since there will be no cap hit next year from blake there will be no offset if i was understanding it right. If we cut june 1st some of his cap would be next year and when he got signed the offset would go next year agains the hit. But because we took the full hit this year we wont get the offset. im just trying to figure it out

(03-19-2019, 01:26 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 01:16 PM)Gettin\ Jaggy with it Wrote: Offsets are credited in the following year's cap, so we would see a salary cap credit in 2020.

right but since there will be no cap hit next year from blake there will be no offset if i was understanding it right. If we cut june 1st some of his cap would be next year and when he got signed the offset would go next year agains the hit. But because we took the full hit this year we wont get the offset. im just trying to figure it out

He's on a one year deal in LA.

Whatever he gets paid in 2019  -- the Jags can reduce what they owe by that amount. The offset just doesn't hit our books until 2020.

End of story.  

(2020 salary for Blake is a non-issue as he'll be a FA and the Jags will no longer owe anything.)

(03-19-2019, 12:54 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

As NYC stated, we’re getting an offset.  The only stipulation for it was if he was paid by another team this year.   Didn’t matter at all if he was cut by us.  The offset can be up to his 2019 guarantee amount which is $6.5 million.  If this were a 2 or 3 year deal I’d feel better about things as far as the offset goes, but with a 1 year deal the Rams don’t have to pay him much because the Jags are paying the difference between whatever the Rams are paying him and the $6.5 million guarantee.

I’m expecting his Ram salary to be whatever the minimum is for players of his tenure.  Probably something around $1 million.  Unless the Rams paid him more than $6.5 million, there’s no reason to pay him more than the minimum.

Only reason I can see them paying more than the minimum is because I read somewhere he was also getting interest from Denver and Baltimore.  I'm sure it's not MUCH more than the minimum, but i'd venture to say it's a 2-3 mil a year probably.  To see this, for Blake as a 6th year QB his 1 year vet minimum would be 805K.  That is HELLA cheap for a back up QB.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf.../38961907/

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

There’s no reason to bid any more than the minimum unless his market exceeded $6.5 million which I doubt it did. To Blake, all offers would be equal. He’d just choose which team he wanted to play for most. The Jags are effectively paying him to be the back up in LA this year since it ended up being just a 1 year deal. I’ll hope he got paid more, but I seriously seriously doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-19-2019, 02:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s no reason to bid any more than the minimum unless his market exceeded $6.5 million which I doubt it did.  To Blake, all offers would be equal.  He’d just choose which team he wanted to play for most.  The Jags are effectively paying him to be the back up in LA this year since it ended up being just a 1 year deal.  I’ll hope he got paid more, but I seriously seriously doubt it.

If they indeed stay at or close to the vet minimum it will only save the Jags ~900k in 2020.

I’ll add that if the Rams are paying him more than the minimum, whoever negotiated the deal should be fired. Unless his services were so desired that his salary this year ends up exceeding $6.5 million. There’s absolutely no reason to bid more than the minimum otherwise.

(03-19-2019, 03:20 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I’ll add that if the Rams are paying him more than the minimum, whoever negotiated the deal should be fired.  Unless his services were so desired that his salary this year ends up exceeding $6.5 million.  There’s absolutely no reason to bid more than the minimum otherwise.

Not going to find backups like Blake for that price, so even if you pay 1 million more than minimum its worth it.

(03-19-2019, 02:57 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: There’s no reason to bid any more than the minimum unless his market exceeded $6.5 million which I doubt it did.  To Blake, all offers would be equal.  He’d just choose which team he wanted to play for most.  The Jags are effectively paying him to be the back up in LA this year since it ended up being just a 1 year deal.  I’ll hope he got paid more, but I seriously seriously doubt it.

If another team was in on the bidding, then LA would have to outbid them. 

Regardless of the Jags covering more than the salary being offered,  Blake's agent likely did everything in his power to negotiate above the minimum by pitting offers against one another. 
  I really wouldn't be shocked if that type of scenario makes his 2019 salary north of 2 million.

Some aren’t grasping this situation fully apparently so I’ll explain further. The only thing the Rams or whoever else was bidding was how much of Blake’s $6.5 million guarantee they’d take on from the Jags. Blake was getting $6.5 million this year unless he got a contract for more. If Blake got an offer for the minimum from one team, $2 million from another and $3 million from a 3rd team bidding for him, from his side of the table they’re all 1 year $6.5 million deals. Their offers are meaningless in trying to persuade him to pick them. He’s picking the one of the three he wants to go to for reasons that have nothing to do with money. The only way the above isn’t true is if he’s playing for more than $6.5 million this year. If a team actually offered more than the minimum, they’re morons and should be fired.

(03-19-2019, 03:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Some aren’t grasping this situation fully apparently so I’ll explain further.  The only thing the Rams or whoever else was bidding was how much of Blake’s $6.5 million guarantee they’d take on from the Jags.  Blake was getting $6.5 million this year unless he got a contract for more.  If Blake got an offer for the minimum from one team, $2 million from another and $3 million from a 3rd team bidding for him, from his side of the table they’re all 1 year $6.5 million deals.  Their offers are meaningless in trying to persuade him to pick them.  He’s picking the one of the three he wants to go to for reasons that have nothing to do with money.  The only way the above isn’t true is if he’s playing for more than $6.5 million this year.  If a team actually offered more than the minimum, they’re morons and should be fired.

I get what you're saying. 

But I'm not as certain as you seem to be that his agent wouldn't want to drive that price up anyway. Not only is it possible that he'd see some sort of gain contractually from his client, it's just a basic way of determining different team's interest level in free agency. 

It's possible that Blake went with the staff and situation he preferred regardless of bid, but it's also possible a team would bid more if the agent is floating some sort of indecision to multiple suitors and seeking to inflate his take. 

New situation for me to follow in free agency, so I don't know if what I'm suggesting has any precedent or not. But it makes sense to me  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(03-19-2019, 03:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Some aren’t grasping this situation fully apparently so I’ll explain further.  The only thing the Rams or whoever else was bidding was how much of Blake’s $6.5 million guarantee they’d take on from the Jags.  Blake was getting $6.5 million this year unless he got a contract for more.  If Blake got an offer for the minimum from one team, $2 million from another and $3 million from a 3rd team bidding for him, from his side of the table they’re all 1 year $6.5 million deals.  Their offers are meaningless in trying to persuade him to pick them.  He’s picking the one of the three he wants to go to for reasons that have nothing to do with money.  The only way the above isn’t true is if he’s playing for more than $6.5 million this year.  If a team actually offered more than the minimum, they’re morons and should be fired.

I kind of understand what you are saying, but I kind of think that you're wrong, especially regarding the part in bold.

The way that I see it is that Blake is earning more than this $6.5 million this season regardless of the contract he signed.  That $6.5 million is already paid out to him and in his bank account.  Say for instance he agreed to a 1 year contract for $1 million.  He essentially earns $7.5 million this season that goes to his bank account and the team that gave him the contract "absorbs" the $1 million from the Jaguars' salary cap.  In other words, the Jaguars will get credit for money that they already paid out to him.

At least I think that's the way that it works.  I believe that there is a difference between what Blake puts in his bank account vs. what happens with team's salary cap.  Remember, he wasn't traded he was a free agent.  Whatever team signed him isn't "absorbing" any of the $6.5 million, it's just the amount that the Jaguars will get credited to them on their salary cap numbers.  

I could be wrong about this and if so, please explain it to me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 04:33 PM by JackCity.)

i think Jaguarmeister is right actually. From what I read there the 6.5 is essentially a cap credit to whichever team he plays for this season, so no matter what they pay him he gets 6.5 unless it goes over.

apologies for misunderstanding

(03-19-2019, 04:22 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I kind of understand what you are saying, but I kind of think that you're wrong, especially regarding the part in bold.

The way that I see it is that Blake is earning more than this $6.5 million this season regardless of the contract he signed.  That $6.5 million is already paid out to him and in his bank account.  Say for instance he agreed to a 1 year contract for $1 million.  He essentially earns $7.5 million this season that goes to his bank account and the team that gave him the contract "absorbs" the $1 million from the Jaguars' salary cap.  In other words, the Jaguars will get credit for money that they already paid out to him.

At least I think that's the way that it works.  I believe that there is a difference between what Blake puts in his bank account vs. what happens with team's salary cap.  Remember, he wasn't traded he was a free agent.  Whatever team signed him isn't "absorbing" any of the $6.5 million, it's just the amount that the Jaguars will get credited to them on their salary cap numbers.  

I could be wrong about this and if so, please explain it to me.

You are incorrect. The whole point of offsets is to limit the original team's financial liability. If it were only about cap ramifications, the players would have no issue offsetting all of their guaranteed money. Players prefer to have as little offsets as possible so that they may double-dip their income if they are cut before their guaranteed money expires.

PFT

(03-19-2019, 03:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I get what you're saying. 

But I'm not as certain as you seem to be that his agent wouldn't want to drive that price up anyway. Not only is it possible that he'd see some sort of gain contractually from his client, it's just a basic way of determining different team's interest level in free agency. 

It's possible that Blake went with the staff and situation he preferred regardless of bid, but it's also possible a team would bid more if the agent is floating some sort of indecision to multiple suitors and seeking to inflate his take. 

New situation for me to follow in free agency, so I don't know if what I'm suggesting has any precedent or not. But it makes sense to me  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He said in his interview what QB wouldnt want to be under sean mcvey. seems he is where he chose to be.

(03-19-2019, 04:59 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 03:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I get what you're saying. 

He said in his interview what QB wouldnt want to be under sean mcvey. seems he is where he chose to be.

Not the point I'm making, we're well past that, but thanks I guess.