Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Signs With L.A. Rams

(03-19-2019, 04:22 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 03:43 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Some aren’t grasping this situation fully apparently so I’ll explain further.  The only thing the Rams or whoever else was bidding was how much of Blake’s $6.5 million guarantee they’d take on from the Jags.  Blake was getting $6.5 million this year unless he got a contract for more.  If Blake got an offer for the minimum from one team, $2 million from another and $3 million from a 3rd team bidding for him, from his side of the table they’re all 1 year $6.5 million deals.  Their offers are meaningless in trying to persuade him to pick them.  He’s picking the one of the three he wants to go to for reasons that have nothing to do with money.  The only way the above isn’t true is if he’s playing for more than $6.5 million this year.  If a team actually offered more than the minimum, they’re morons and should be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of understand what you are saying, but I kind of think that you're wrong, especially regarding the part in bold.

The way that I see it is that Blake is earning more than this $6.5 million this season regardless of the contract he signed.  That $6.5 million is already paid out to him and in his bank account.  Say for instance he agreed to a 1 year contract for $1 million.  He essentially earns $7.5 million this season that goes to his bank account and the team that gave him the contract "absorbs" the $1 million from the Jaguars' salary cap.  In other words, the Jaguars will get credit for money that they already paid out to him.

At least I think that's the way that it works.  I believe that there is a difference between what Blake puts in his bank account vs. what happens with team's salary cap.  Remember, he wasn't traded he was a free agent.  Whatever team signed him isn't "absorbing" any of the $6.5 million, it's just the amount that the Jaguars will get credited to them on their salary cap numbers.  

I could be wrong about this and if so, please explain it to me.

Team cap numbers in a given year represent real money that is currently being or has already been paid.  You can’t pay a player money that is never recognized in the cap.  What you’re describing would do exactly that or in this case would temporarily recognize it then wipe it away the following year.  It doesn’t work that way.  If it did, the NFL’s hard cap wouldn’t be all that hard and you’d see offset language in pretty much every contract.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 08:42 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

If the offsets weren’t in his deal with the Jags, I’m pretty sure Blake would get a multi year offer from someone. The fact that this is a one year deal tells me that the deal is likely gonna be sticking it to the Jags.

The only beneficiary for Blake’s agent negotiating a salary greater than the minimum from his new team is the Jags. A team which just cut him. A team that just prior to cutting him signed his successor with great fanfare. I just don’t see him and his agent pushing for anything nor do I see the Rams or anyone offering more knowing the offsets are there.

I mean he might’ve actually turned down a multi year deal for all we know to grab his $6.5 guarantee this year and come back to the negotiating table next year.

(03-19-2019, 08:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the offsets weren’t in his deal with the Jags, I’m pretty sure Blake would get a multi year offer from someone.  The fact that this is a one year deal tells me that the deal is likely gonna be sticking it to the Jags.

The only beneficiary for Blake’s agent negotiating a salary greater than the minimum from his new team is the Jags.  A team which just cut him.  A team that just prior to cutting him signed his successor with great fanfare.

I mean he might’ve actually turned down a multi year deal for all we know to grab his $6.5 guarantee and come back to the table next year.
Gotcha.
Makes sense.

(03-19-2019, 08:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the offsets weren’t in his deal with the Jags, I’m pretty sure Blake would get a multi year offer from someone.  The fact that this is a one year deal tells me that the deal is likely gonna be sticking it to the Jags.

The only beneficiary for Blake’s agent negotiating a salary greater than the minimum from his new team is the Jags.  A team which just cut him.  A team that just prior to cutting him signed his successor with great fanfare.  I just don’t see him and his agent pushing for anything nor do I see the Rams or anyone offering more knowing the offsets are there.  

I mean he might’ve actually turned down a multi year deal for all we know to grab his $6.5 guarantee this year and come back to the negotiating table next year.

I'd say thats more likely than him being petty. Caldwell and Snead are really good friends after all

The Rams MB seem to be quite pleased with this move.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(03-18-2019, 08:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the offsets weren’t in his deal with the Jags, I’m pretty sure Blake would get a multi year offer from someone.  The fact that this is a one year deal tells me that the deal is likely gonna be sticking it to the Jags.

The only beneficiary for Blake’s agent negotiating a salary greater than the minimum from his new team is the Jags.  A team which just cut him.  A team that just prior to cutting him signed his successor with great fanfare.  I just don’t see him and his agent pushing for anything nor do I see the Rams or anyone offering more knowing the offsets are there.  

I think you're spot on here.

And it sounds like the deal the Rams gave to Bortles really was a way to stick it to the Jags.  $1M for an experienced backup is truly a steal, even if the veteran is Bortles.

The savings next year is $1M.  

Rams Talk‏ @TalkRams 2m2 minutes ago
More

[Image: 1f6a8.png]UPDATE[Image: 1f6a8.png] QB Blake Bortles's contract is a 1-year, $1 million contract, according to Field Yates. That's an absolute steal!
0 replies0 retweets1 like

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The FO screwed themselves with that extension last year

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-20-2019, 08:51 AM)jagboss Wrote: The FO screwed themselves with that extension last year

Yeah that much has been clear but I don’t think the offsets should add any fuel to that fire.  If you’re extending a player, you have to put guarantees into year 2.  $6.5 million guaranteed without offsets would have Bortles double dipping right now and the Jags getting nothing in return.  $1 million cap credit in 2020 isn’t much, but it’s still something which is more than nothing.

I think the Jags would look far more foolish without the offsets.

Total cap cost to Jags for Bortles resign: $25.5 million (2018 10 mill cap + 2019 16.5 dead cap - 2020 1 mill offset)
Total cap cost to Jags for Bortles 5th year option: $19 million

7.5 ( 6.5 offset with hindsight) to secure a QB for 2 extra years coming off a good season and playoffs seems reasonable to me. Just didn't work out and thats the amount they were willing to risk. The contract seemed to be setup to reduce the 2018 cap hit from the 5th year option.

I think the bigger mistake was using the 9 million they saved in 2018 by extending Bortles( 19 million franchise tag- 10 million 2018 cap hit) to sign Moncrief instead of using it to build depth.

Blake signs for 1 million

(03-20-2019, 08:31 AM)FBT Wrote:
(03-18-2019, 08:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If the offsets weren’t in his deal with the Jags, I’m pretty sure Blake would get a multi year offer from someone.  The fact that this is a one year deal tells me that the deal is likely gonna be sticking it to the Jags.

I think you're spot on here.

And it sounds like the deal the Rams gave to Bortles really was a way to stick it to the Jags.  $1M for an experienced backup is truly a steal, even if the veteran is Bortles.

More

[Image: 1f6a8.png]UPDATE[Image: 1f6a8.png] QB Blake Bortles's contract is a 1-year, $1 million contract, according to Field Yates. That's an absolute steal!

The narrative that Blake is sticking to to the Jags by signing with the Rams is laughable

(03-20-2019, 11:32 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 08:31 AM)FBT Wrote: I think you're spot on here.

More

The narrative that Blake is sticking to to the Jags by signing with the Rams is laughable

I don’t believe anyone ever suggested where he signed is sticking it to the Jags.  If you think his market value, all things being equal, would have been 1 year $1 million that’s actually laughable.  If you realize his market value should have indeed been more than that, then by definition his new deal is sticking it to the Jags as they are largely paying him to be the back up in LA this year.

Whether he got any satisfaction out of the way the deal was crafted and knowing that he was hanging the majority of his salary this year on his former team is for him to know and not us.  Other than that, I’m not sure where your comments are coming from.

I don't think Blake wanted to "stick it to the Jags." They just paid him millions of dollars after all.

I don't think 1 million is anywhere near his market value - his Jags' contract simply made it easy for a team to get him at such a figure.

He'd likely have gotten between 3-4.5 mil per year for a 2 or 3 years if he'd not been guaranteed 6.5 from the Jags IMO.

(03-20-2019, 11:55 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 11:32 AM)JackCity Wrote: The narrative that Blake is sticking to to the Jags by signing with the Rams is laughable

I don’t believe anyone ever suggested where he signed is sticking it to the Jags.  If you think his market value, all things being equal, would have been 1 year $1 million that’s actually laughable.  If you realize his market value should have indeed been more than that, then by definition his new deal is sticking it to the Jags as they are largely paying him to be the back up in LA this year.

Whether he got any satisfaction out of the way the deal was crafted and knowing that he was hanging the majority of his salary this year on his former team is for him to know and not us.  Other than that, I’m not sure where your comments are coming from.

Not where he signed, how he signed.  

I've already said that's not what his market value would be but as you thoroughly explained with him the offsets he was getting 6.5 regardless , nobody was gonna pay over that for 2019. 

He chose the best fit for him with a contending team he has personal relationships with and also happens to be near where he trains every summer + has a offensive hotshot HC who can develop him (if at all possible). GM of the rams is best pals with David Caldwell too. I don't think any sticking it to the Jags narrative applies

(03-20-2019, 11:32 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 08:31 AM)FBT Wrote: I think you're spot on here.

More

I don't think Blake intentionally did anything. But, it certainly did happen.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 12:58 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-20-2019, 12:07 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 11:55 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don’t believe anyone ever suggested where he signed is sticking it to the Jags.  If you think his market value, all things being equal, would have been 1 year $1 million that’s actually laughable.  If you realize his market value should have indeed been more than that, then by definition his new deal is sticking it to the Jags as they are largely paying him to be the back up in LA this year.

Not where he signed, how he signed.  

I've already said that's not what his market value would be but as you thoroughly explained with him the offsets he was getting 6.5 regardless , nobody was gonna pay over that for 2019. 

He chose the best fit for him with a contending team he has personal relationships with and also happens to be near where he trains every summer + has a offensive hotshot HC who can develop him (if at all possible). GM of the rams is best pals with David Caldwell too. I don't think any sticking it to the Jags narrative applies

He could do what you mention above for the reasons you mention and could have done it under a completely different type of deal.  He’s taking on some risk here with a 1 year deal that he probably didn’t have to take on if he didn’t want to.

I’m not telling you what I think is in his mind, but he did hang us with the bill and decided to shoulder additional risk in the process. At face value, his new deal stuck it to the Jags. No need to speculate on his thinking or whether he was taking any level of personal satisfaction in it which is what I think you’re really arguing against.

(03-20-2019, 12:26 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 12:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: Not where he signed, how he signed.  

He could do what you mention above for the reasons you mention and could have done it under a completely different type of deal.  He’s taking on some risk here with a 1 year deal that he probably didn’t have to take on if he didn’t want to.

I think he liked the situation in LA, and figured a one year contract was a good way for him to separate himself from the stank of his inconsistent career.  He's getting paid this year regardless, so pulling in an extra million to hold a clipboard and learn from one of the young offensive geniuses in the league might turn out to be a great career move for him.  It also gets him closer to his trainers out in SoCal who have been working with him on his mechanics.  Maybe taking the pressure off of his back of being the guy will allow him the chance to fix himself?  We'll see.  I don't think there's much risk for him.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2019, 12:51 PM by JAGFAN88.)

" I just work here"

LA needed the extra money to sign Clay Mathews

(03-20-2019, 12:30 PM)FBT Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 12:26 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He could do what you mention above for the reasons you mention and could have done it under a completely different type of deal.  He’s taking on some risk here with a 1 year deal that he probably didn’t have to take on if he didn’t want to.

I think he liked the situation in LA, and figured a one year contract was a good way for him to separate himself from the stank of his inconsistent career.  He's getting paid this year regardless, so pulling in an extra million to hold a clipboard and learn from one of the young offensive geniuses in the league might turn out to be a great career move for him.  It also gets him closer to his trainers out in SoCal who have been working with him on his mechanics.  Maybe taking the pressure off of his back of being the guy will allow him the chance to fix himself?  We'll see.  I don't think there's much risk for him.

He’s not actually getting an extra million.