Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Isn’t it time to go after a TE

(03-25-2019, 05:08 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 09:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: To be fair, a few of us knew it would turn out the way it did. Same thing with Welker and Decker.

Product of a great QB. 

No way Thomas was coming to Jax putting up those same type of numbers. I think he had like 23 TDs over a 2 year span.

I'll take your word for it. I guess I just don't recall very much criticism when we initially made the move, at least around here. 

I remember being high on the move because I thought we really needed something other than Mercedes at the position as a pass catcher. But like you said, having Blake toss you the rock make it a little more difficult.

Personally, I think Thomas' failure was a combination of breaking his thumb right after he arrived and the fact that he got paid and went into vacation mode. 

Moving from Manning to Bortles was obviously a factor as well, but I think he could have been much more productive in Jax had he not been hurt and continued to worked hard.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-25-2019, 09:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 05:08 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I'll take your word for it. I guess I just don't recall very much criticism when we initially made the move, at least around here. 

I remember being high on the move because I thought we really needed something other than Mercedes at the position as a pass catcher. But like you said, having Blake toss you the rock make it a little more difficult.

Personally, I think Thomas' failure was a combination of breaking his thumb right after he arrived and the fact that he got paid and went into vacation mode. 

Moving from Manning to Bortles was obviously a factor as well, but I think he could have been much more productive in Jax had he not been hurt and continued to worked hard.

Granted breaking the thumb early was a factor but the dude seemed to show no desire to stay in shape.  The first time I saw him on the field in the regular season I couldn't believe how fat the guy looked.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

For a team that likes to run the ball, and use play action in the passing game, Hockenson would be a perfect fit.

(03-25-2019, 09:49 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Personally, I think Thomas' failure was a combination of breaking his thumb right after he arrived and the fact that he got paid and went into vacation mode. 

Granted breaking the thumb early was a factor but the dude seemed to show no desire to stay in shape.  The first time I saw him on the field in the regular season I couldn't believe how fat the guy looked.

Yeah. That's what I meant by "vacation mode."  He probably put on 20 pounds of bad weight from June-September that year. Then he got hurt again in November I think.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-25-2019, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:49 AM)Rico Wrote: Granted breaking the thumb early was a factor but the dude seemed to show no desire to stay in shape.  The first time I saw him on the field in the regular season I couldn't believe how fat the guy looked.

Yeah. That's what I meant by "vacation mode."  He probably put on 20 pounds of bad weight from June-September that year. Then he got hurt again in November I think.

On a side note...who is that blitzing in your signature GIF?  I can't tell, is that Poz?  He gets there fast and it's so unusual to see them blitz with any success like that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-25-2019, 01:52 PM)Rico Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. That's what I meant by "vacation mode."  He probably put on 20 pounds of bad weight from June-September that year. Then he got hurt again in November I think.

On a side note...who is that blitzing in your signature GIF?  I can't tell, is that Poz?  He gets there fast and it's so unusual to see them blitz with any success like that.

That's Poz shot out of a cannon there. They did not use that one often at all, but he clearly forced the underthrow there. 
I can't decide which I like better in that GIF.  The pressure/hit or the INT.

Fant is Ebron. Stone hands. No thanks.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(03-25-2019, 04:31 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Fant is Ebron. Stone hands. No thanks.

I'll take those 66 grabs for 750 yards and 13TD "stone hands"  all day long compared to what we've got at TE.

(03-25-2019, 07:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'll take those 66 grabs for 750 yards and 13TD "stone hands"  all day long compared to what we've got at TE.

I wouldnt if it took him the 5th year to do so because he would probably be on another team. This is the wrong year to say anything negative about Ebron though

I have read no fewer than six different scouting reports, and none of which describe Fant as having "stone hands."

The one source that had anything negative to say about Fant's hands was walterfootball.com, who said he "is not a natural catcher," and that was based solely on the combine, not from the games.

How did you arrive at that assessment of his hands?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-25-2019, 02:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 01:52 PM)Rico Wrote: On a side note...who is that blitzing in your signature GIF?  I can't tell, is that Poz?  He gets there fast and it's so unusual to see them blitz with any success like that.

That's Poz shot out of a cannon there. They did not use that one often at all, but he clearly forced the underthrow there. 
I can't decide which I like better in that GIF.  The pressure/hit or the INT.

"That it's the Steelers" gets my vote.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-25-2019, 09:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I have read no fewer than six different scouting reports, and none of which describe Fant as having "stone hands."

The one source that had anything negative to say about Fant's hands was walterfootball.com, who said he "is not a natural catcher," and that was based solely on the combine, not from the games.

How did you arrive at that assessment of his hands?

random taek generator, based on posting history.

(03-25-2019, 09:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: How did you arrive at that assessment of his hands?

That's a shockingly high drop rate.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/111...3102794752

(03-26-2019, 03:47 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote: How did you arrive at that assessment of his hands?

That's a shockingly high drop rate.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/111...3102794752

Taking these figures at face value, I would still have no problem with a first round selection of Fant.

1.  There was another guy who had problems with drops, especially early in his career:  Terrell Owens.  This isn't to suggest Fant is necessarily a T.O. caliber player, but...

2.  I think what's even more impressive is the FOUR (4) "contested catches" in 92 targets.  That means he is getting a TON of separation and is running wide open.

If you presume the drops are due to concentration lapses, improved concentration with a similar degree of wide open targets vs. contested targets will result in more catches.  Considering he still caught 19 TDs in his career sharing the load with Kittle and Hockenson, it speaks volumes.

Fant will be fine, unless he is hurt or otherwise has off field issues.  (Note:  on this last point, Walterfootball makes some reference to off field concerns with Fant, but I haven't seen any other reference to off field stuff with him yet-though I am still looking).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I'm still a big fan of Fant too, but I do think it's fair to say that his hands are his weakest link as of now.

I knew he cant break tackles but that's all we need is a guy with a high drop rate to the team with the most drops. My head is spinning right now.