Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Isn’t it time to go after a TE

I’ve been low key wanting a proven TE, or a speedster that will create a mismatch for defenses.

Wouldn’t you think they would final address this position somehow this year. Look at what Ebron did up in Indy. I didn’t even think he was that good, but every weekend it seemed like he was catching chunk plays against teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Low key??   LOL

We've been in dire need of a tight end for years on end.

They already signed a decent value guy in free agency, now they'll choose from the several good TE's in the draft. 

[Image: ScreenShot2019-03-19at5.16.07PM.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019, 06:59 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I think we should at least look at some decent free agents, because I have a feeling we might run some 2 TE sets with who ever we draft. I know we signed some guy named Swaim, but to be honest, I've never heard of him, so he can't be that good. I'd love Jared Cook, but he'll cost too much. I'd look at Lance Kendricks, Maxx Williams and Richard Rodgers. They should be pretty cheap.

(03-19-2019, 06:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think we should at least look at some decent free agents, because I have a feeling we might run some 2 TE sets with who ever we draft. I know we signed some guy named Swaim, but to be honest, I've never heard of him, so he can't be that good. I'd love Jared Cook, but he'll cost too much. I'd look at Lance Kendricks, Maxx Williams and Richard Rodgers. They should be pretty cheap.

They can't afford another free agent TE -- at least not one that you've heard who that can still play in the NFL.

It's likely going to be whoever survives camp between the following:

Rookie (early pick)
Swaim
Koyack
McKever
UDFA or late rounder
Scrap heap camp cut from another team

Give me Irv Smith all day long, especially if we can move down 10 spots and still get him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-19-2019, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 06:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think we should at least look at some decent free agents, because I have a feeling we might run some 2 TE sets with who ever we draft. I know we signed some guy named Swaim, but to be honest, I've never heard of him, so he can't be that good. I'd love Jared Cook, but he'll cost too much. I'd look at Lance Kendricks, Maxx Williams and Richard Rodgers. They should be pretty cheap.

They can't afford another free agent TE -- at least not one that you've heard who that can still play in the NFL.

Rookie (early pick)
Swaim
Koyack
McKever
UDFA or late rounder

I guess we'll be running 1 TE then. Currently we have less talent at TE than we had last year. Who ever we draft, should have an easy time winning the starting position.

So he can't be good because you never heard of him? Best analysis ever! Laughing
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-20-2019, 08:46 AM)Dimson Wrote:

So he can't be good because you never heard of him? Best analysis ever! Laughing

If this were college no. I don't know tons of players in college, but this is the NFL. If he were good, every NFL fan would know him. I checked out his NFL stats. The guy only has 35 receptions since 2015, where he was with the Cowboys, a team that has needed a TE for a long time. If he were good, the Cowboys would've given him every chance in the world to succeed. According to some analysis I read, he is a blocking TE, so I don't expect much of him, if anything.

(03-20-2019, 01:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-19-2019, 07:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They can't afford another free agent TE -- at least not one that you've heard who that can still play in the NFL.

Rookie (early pick)
Swaim
Koyack
McKever
UDFA or late rounder

I guess we'll be running 1 TE then. Currently we have less talent at TE than we had last year. Who ever we draft, should have an easy time winning the starting position.

Eh. 

You should probably actually see Swaim play before you make these assumptions. 
He might be a solid #2 TE when this all shakes out. 

He's better than O'Shaugnessy/Koyack/Bell for sure. 

Just because Linehan and Prescott didn't get the most out of him doesn't mean Foles/Flip can't do more with him.

(03-20-2019, 10:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 01:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I guess we'll be running 1 TE then. Currently we have less talent at TE than we had last year. Who ever we draft, should have an easy time winning the starting position.

Eh. 

You should probably actually see Swaim play before you make these assumptions. 
He might be a solid #2 TE when this all shakes out. 

He's better than O'Shaugnessy/Koyack/Bell for sure. 

Just because Linehan and Prescott didn't get the most out of him doesn't mean Foles/Flip can't do more with him.

I just would've liked to get a more "proven" guy. At this point, I would even consider re-signing ASJ. I can see us possibly doubling up on TE in the draft. One with our first pick and maybe another in the 7th or even bringing in some high priority UDFA's. I just really think we need to add some more competition though behind our top TE, (which will probably be who ever we draft in the first or second round.)

(03-19-2019, 11:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Give me Irv Smith all day long, especially if we can move down 10 spots and still get him.

Baby Irv would be the last TE I'd want out of the top 10 TEs. Give me Moreau, I think he could wind up being a great value pick.

With our lack of big play receivers, we could really use an explosive player at TE.

In defense of the front office, both Thomas and Safarian-Jenkins were legit attempts to get a TE1 via free agency. It just didn't work out.

(03-20-2019, 10:12 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: In defense of the front office, both Thomas and Safarian-Jenkins were legit attempts to get a TE1 via free agency.  It just didn't work out.

In all fairness I don't think anyone saw thomas playing out the way it did. He had a great season and everyone was high on him. Turns out, it was all because Peyton was slinging him the ball.

(03-21-2019, 03:34 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(03-20-2019, 10:12 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: In defense of the front office, both Thomas and Safarian-Jenkins were legit attempts to get a TE1 via free agency.  It just didn't work out.

In all fairness I don't think anyone saw thomas playing out the way it did. He had a great season and everyone was high on him. Turns out, it was all because Peyton was slinging him the ball.

Well, that and he got lazy and fat.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-21-2019, 07:18 AM)Rico Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 03:34 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: In all fairness I don't think anyone saw thomas playing out the way it did. He had a great season and everyone was high on him. Turns out, it was all because Peyton was slinging him the ball.

Well, that and he got lazy and fat.

He must have taken a page out of the Eddie Lacy diet book.

Hockenson

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2019, 09:45 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(03-21-2019, 03:34 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:

To be fair, a few of us knew it would turn out the way it did. Same thing with Welker and Decker.

Product of a great QB. 

No way Thomas was coming to Jax putting up those same type of numbers. I think he had like 23 TDs over a 2 year span.

(03-19-2019, 05:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Low key??   LOL

We've been in dire need of a tight end for years on end.

They already signed a decent value guy in free agency, now they'll choose from the several good TE's in the draft. 

[Image: ScreenShot2019-03-19at5.16.07PM.png]

I like Fant now as that “speedster” instead of Hock (blocker type) to complement Swaim. I do think Hock can do both tho. He’s also a workhorse and go getter so that makes it hard to move on from him. Swaim was pretty darn good when he was in games as a blocker and even gave me some low salary cap reward in fantasy a week or two, lol. I literally get antsy thinking on this for more than 5 mins. I just know whichever we don’t pick is gonna be a monster somewhere else. I know Foles didn’t utilize the very very good TE’s he had as much as ole Walk it To Em did. Which makes me wonder if a big physical hitter wouldn’t be better to have in most of the time to chip block and add more stability to that right side of the line while Foles uses 3 wr sets. Plus... Conley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(03-21-2019, 09:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 03:34 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: In all fairness I don't think anyone saw thomas playing out the way it did. He had a great season and everyone was high on him. Turns out, it was all because Peyton was slinging him the ball.

To be fair, a few of us knew it would turn out the way it did. Same thing with Welker and Decker.

Product of a great QB. 

No way Thomas was coming to Jax putting up those same type of numbers. I think he had like 23 TDs over a 2 year span.

I'll take your word for it. I guess I just don't recall very much criticism when we initially made the move, at least around here. 

I remember being high on the move because I thought we really needed something other than Mercedes at the position as a pass catcher. But like you said, having Blake toss you the rock make it a little more difficult.