Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags 1st round picks

1995 - Boselli, OT - One of the best ever Jags' picks of all time.  Sure fire Hall of Famer if he had more longevity; career shortened by injuries, but one of the best LT's in the NFL as a Jag.

1996 - Hardy, LB - A solid LB, if not spectacular. Did record career high 10.5 sacks in 1999. Avg. about 73 tackles a season. 

1997 - Wynn, DE - Only remained a Jag for 5 seasons, avg. about 2.8 sacks a season. 

1998 - Taylor, RB - Very solid pick. Timing was such, that a few other RBs got the limelight in his days, but he was a very good draft pick. 

1999 - Bryant, CB - Not terrible, but not worthy of a 1st round pick.  Less than 2 ints a season. 

2000 - Soward, WR - an unmitigated disaster.  Following the Rams' SB win, Jags tried to add a 3rd potent WR, but it failed. RJ's last memorable act was telling police officers they couldn't arrest him because he was "from California" as he walked with his pants down. He wasn't even worth a 7th round pick. 

2001 - Stroud, DT - Solid pick. Had a good amount of top level years.

2002 - Henderson, DT - Paired with Stroud, formed on of the best interior D lines in entire NFL. Big as a house. 

2003 - Leftwich, QB - Heart was there, but wind up release too much to overcome. A missed pick. 

2004 - Williams, WR - a bust. Big but slow.

2005 - Jones, WR - complete and utter waste of time. 

2006 - Lewis, TE - Had a long career, but not a lot of production for a 1st rounder. Avg. only 350 yards a season. 

2007 - Nelson, S - Very long career (12), mostly not as a Jag (only 3 years). Not physical, but had some ball hawk skills. 

2008 - Harvey, DE - Another Jag reacch for a Gator. 8 sacks in 4 seasons. A miss. 

2009 - Monroe, OT - Was supposed to be a blue chip, top rung LT. Never really got there, but not worthless.

2010 - Alualu, DL - Raised eyebrows when drafted. Not a bad player, but not worthy of a 1st round. 

2011 - Gabbert, QB - A horrific pick. One of the worst 1st round QBs I have ever watched play. 

2012 - Blackmon, WR - An immense waste. One of the worst 1st round picks of all time.

2013 - Joeckel, OT - Just never panned out, for such a high pick.

2014 - Bortles, QB - Not worthy of a 1st round, more of a backup level talent. 

2015 - Fowler, LB - Another Jag reach for a Gator. Bounced after only 3 years. Rams seem to like him more than Jags, just resigned. 

2016 - Ramsey, CB - Supremely talented, needs to get his emotions in check. Could still be a gold standard pick.

2017 - 4net, RB - Too early to say. 

2018 - Bryan, DT - Too early, but I thought it was a reach at the time he was drafted. 

Best picks - Boselli, Taylor, Stroud, Ramsey. 

Worst - Gabbert, Jones, Blackmon, Soward, Williams, Bortels.

It is very hard to field a playoff team if you don't hit on the majority of 1st round picks. The Jags' woes have a multitude of causes, but missing on 1st round picks is definitely a portion of the blame. I think it is critical Jags get it right this draft - maybe one of the stud TE's from IA. or a blue chip O lineman.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 03:46 PM by imtheblkranger.)

Edited.

Our first round picks suck. We know it, it's tough to look at in a full list.

Who cares?

(03-23-2019, 03:44 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Edited.

I like your original post better.

What? Nelson not physical? Uhh... lol. The Eraser says Hi.

Bad drafting is why the jaguars have been so bad for so long. Looking at the list they took guys that weren't worth the slot they were drafted in about 75% of the time. That's what "need drafting" gets you, you end up repeatedly taking worse players and never really filling needs. Always take the great players and fill in needs in low price free agency.

(03-23-2019, 09:30 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Bad drafting is why the jaguars have been so bad for so long.  Looking at the list they took guys that weren't worth the slot they were drafted in about 75% of the time. That's what "need drafting" gets you, you end up repeatedly taking worse players and never really filling needs. Always take the great players and fill in needs in low price free agency.

It's a wonder more teams don't try your method of drafting great players. If it were me I'd do it every year!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 02:11 AM by PAJag.)

I feel your undercutting this. Bosseli, hardy, Taylor, stroud, Henderson, Ramsey were GREAT picks probably hall of famers on big market teams and allot of the others were serviceable players although not what you’d like out of a first round some early first but no team hits on every one also Blackmon was a stud just had a problem staying sober we’ll never know what could of been unfortunately. Notice though that from my list of great picks only Ramsey wasn’t drafted by coughlin. That dude does have a great eye for d line talent even think about NY with umenyiora tuck and JPP. He also drafted brackens. That’s why I haven’t given up on smoot or Bryan they’ve both flashed they just need more playing now that they’ve got their feet wet to see what they’re about. Smoot reminds me of tuck.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 02:32 AM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

(03-23-2019, 09:30 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Bad drafting is why the jaguars have been so bad for so long.  Looking at the list they took guys that weren't worth the slot they were drafted in about 75% of the time. That's what "need drafting" gets you, you end up repeatedly taking worse players and never really filling needs. Always take the great players and fill in needs in low price free agency.

The reason the Jaguars have been so bad for so long is because every first round quarterback ever drafted by this organization has been a bust. You could go through a list like this with two thirds of the league and overall most teams hit and miss at about the same rate. The teams who have hit at the QB position are the teams who have success. The ones who  haven’t don’t.

(03-23-2019, 09:00 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 03:44 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Edited.

I like your original post better.

Same.

(03-24-2019, 02:32 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:

The reason the Jaguars have been so bad for so long is because every first round quarterback ever drafted by this organization has been a bust. You could go through a list like this with two thirds of the league and overall most teams hit and miss at about the same rate. The teams who have hit at the QB position are the teams who have success. The ones who  haven’t don’t.
I Concur...

NH3...
"AZANE"

While most are harping on our deficiencies of our first round draft picks, we seem to forget that we had a serious stretch of success picking in the second through the fourth rounds. The success of your first round picks are only an percentage of successful yearly drafting. Teams that hit on one draft w/respect to selecting multiple productive players are the real winners as been proven.

NH3...
"AZANE"

You forgot Donovan Darius in 1998....
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM by Steelers Beaches.)

(03-23-2019, 04:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Who cares?

Who cares? That would be like saying "Who cares if we are any good or a contender?" I'm not saying you can't feel that way, but that certainly isn't the mindset of the vast majority of fans: They do care. Drafts are critically important to a team's quality, especially the first round. You simply can't afford bad 1st round picks and expect to be a contender.

(03-24-2019, 06:43 AM)NH3 Wrote: While most are harping on our deficiencies of our first round draft picks, we seem to forget that we had a serious stretch of success picking in the second through the fourth rounds. The success of your first round picks are only an percentage of successful yearly drafting. Teams that hit on one draft w/respect to selecting multiple productive players are the real winners as been proven.

NH3...

All of it matters. Football is the most collective sport there is, in so many ways. Of course the other rounds matter too, but if you botch the 1st round, it just puts you behind the 8 ball, so to speak, making it that much harder to field a contender.

(03-24-2019, 02:32 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:

Valid point, and MOSTLY true. But obviously, a QB needs talent around him too. Ben Roethlisberger does make up for weaknesses on the team, including a pretty bad O line where he won a Super Bowl in 2005. But I agree: a lot of the Jags' woes are caused from drafting bad QBs, mostly in the 1st round. Leftwich, Gabbert, Bortles - all those picks set the team back for years and years. The team's best QB of all time, Brunell, was not even a Jags' draft pick.  Hopefully Foles can be the next solid Jags QB brought in by a trade or FA.

You make an excellent point. But even teams who swear they take the "best player available" still do draft for need to some degree. You have to consider need to some degree - you have to. But when you make big reaches for need, and leave superior players not taken, it leads to what you are suggesting, and it appears the Jags may reach too often. I have seen the Steelers fail on it: They took Troy Edwards at WR in the 1st round and he was hot garbage.

(03-24-2019, 12:40 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Who cares?

Who cares? That would be like saying "Who cares if we are any good or a contender?" I'm not saying you can't feel that way, but that certainly isn't the mindset of the vast majority of fans: They do care. Drafts are critically important to a team's quality, especially the first round. You simply can't afford bad 1st round picks and expect to be a contender.

(03-24-2019, 06:43 AM)NH3 Wrote: While most are harping on our deficiencies of our first round draft picks, we seem to forget that we had a serious stretch of success picking in the second through the fourth rounds. The success of your first round picks are only an percentage of successful yearly drafting. Teams that hit on one draft w/respect to selecting multiple productive players are the real winners as been proven.

NH3...

All of it matters. Football is the most collective sport there is, in so many ways. Of course the other rounds matter too, but if you botch the 1st round, it just puts you behind the 8 ball, so to speak, making it that much harder to field a contender.
I don’t care about how bad the picks were.

They’re in the past. No reason to bring it up unless you’re trying to be a Richard.

Blackmon was a good draft. Talent on field was high level. Off the field though.... Sad

(03-24-2019, 03:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 12:40 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: Who cares? That would be like saying "Who cares if we are any good or a contender?" I'm not saying you can't feel that way, but that certainly isn't the mindset of the vast majority of fans: They do care. Drafts are critically important to a team's quality, especially the first round. You simply can't afford bad 1st round picks and expect to be a contender.

I don’t care about how bad the picks were.

They’re in the past. No reason to bring it up unless you’re trying to be a Richard.

"Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it."

And if you don't discuss the past, why even bother being a fan?

(03-24-2019, 04:23 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 03:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don’t care about how bad the picks were.

"Those who don't study history are bound to repeat it."

And if you don't discuss the past, why even bother being a fan
Do you think that there haven’t already been a score of threads about this bit of Jags history prior to this one?
Most of us have already hashed it out thoroughly.
Some of us several times over.

You're just late to the party.