Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags 1st round picks

(03-26-2019, 03:00 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 10:51 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: I often question what Bortles could have been if not for the Gus Bradley regime.  He has everything you want physically...if he'd had someone to craft and sculpt him and hadn't been thrown in the fire right away (sound familiar?) he definitely could have been better.  But that's water under the bridge.  Let's get it, Foles!

A lot of failed QBs are physically talented enough to excel. But you can't fix the hard wiring in the brain. Hell. Blaine Gabbert was physically gifted enough to succeed; what happened there? Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rob Johnson, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Mark Malone, Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Rick Mirer, and so on. All had physical talent, but it wasn't enough. As as soon as Jville drafted Bortles, I didn't like the pick. I was at Sneakers in Jax Beach at the time. Bortles biggest kudos was he "looked like" Big Ben. Not good enough. Ben has the intangibles that BB will never have. 

By the way, here are the players Jags passed on to draft Leftwich, Gabbert and Bortles. 

Jordan Gross
Terrell Suggs
Ty Warren
Troy Polamalu (sure fire hall of famer)
Calvin Pace
Larry Johnson
JJ Watt
Nate Solder
Cameron Jordan
Mark Ingram
Cameron Heyward
Khalil Mack
Mike Evans
OBJ
Aaron Donald
Zack Martin

Just imagine what the Jags could be with a JJ Watt, Mack, Donald, etc?

And by selecting Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers missed out on Stephen Jackson, Vince Wilfork, and Will Smith.
Nobody ever looks at that because the Roethlisberger pick worked out.
But what other rookie quarterback had talent like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle-El to catch his passes from day one?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019, 01:31 PM by Steelers Beaches.)

(03-30-2019, 10:28 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 03:00 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: A lot of failed QBs are physically talented enough to excel. But you can't fix the hard wiring in the brain. Hell. Blaine Gabbert was physically gifted enough to succeed; what happened there? Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Rob Johnson, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Leinart, Mark Malone, Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Rick Mirer, and so on. All had physical talent, but it wasn't enough. As as soon as Jville drafted Bortles, I didn't like the pick. I was at Sneakers in Jax Beach at the time. Bortles biggest kudos was he "looked like" Big Ben. Not good enough. Ben has the intangibles that BB will never have. 

By the way, here are the players Jags passed on to draft Leftwich, Gabbert and Bortles. 

Jordan Gross
Terrell Suggs
Ty Warren
Troy Polamalu (sure fire hall of famer)
Calvin Pace
Larry Johnson
JJ Watt
Nate Solder
Cameron Jordan
Mark Ingram
Cameron Heyward
Khalil Mack
Mike Evans
OBJ
Aaron Donald
Zack Martin

Just imagine what the Jags could be with a JJ Watt, Mack, Donald, etc?

And by selecting Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers missed out on Stephen Jackson, Vince Wilfork, and Will Smith.
Nobody ever looks at that because the Roethlisberger pick worked out.
But what other rookie quarterback had talent like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle-El to catch his passes from day one?

Ummmm, well, let's see, Ben won Super bowls with Hines and Randle El, but then won another with Ward and Holmes, and later made players out of Brown, Ju Ju, Bryant, etc. 

So, who is it? The WRs making Ben or Ben making the WRs?

Also, the point of who Jville passed isn't similar at all. Ben became a Hall of Fame QB, so NO ONE was considered a missed opportunity from drafting Ben. The Jags' QBs were not successful/good so those missed players are more significant. It's really not even comparable.

And if they took Stephen Jackson, Vince Wilfork, or Will Smith over Ben, we'd have 2 less rings and 3 less Super Bowl appearances, so, I'm OK with it.