Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Latest Rule Change to Stop the Patriots Gets Voted Down. For Now.

(04-06-2019, 08:26 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 02:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nope, OT is intended to end the game as quickly as reasonable. If you don't want to lose then stop the other team from scoring, defense is supposed to matter.

Meh, I respect that point. Also doesn't hurt that we support a team with a very high caliber defense. But if I'm being objective about this, I sway more to the other side.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Agree. It just bugs me when they want rules changes because the offense just didnt get enough chances in the first hour of play.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The league is already tilted to the offense significantly. We don’t need and many don’t want another rule in favor of focusing on offense. The current rules are a perfect balance of offense and defense, it also has elements of sudden death and it removes the cheapness of winning the toss and getting to just within field goal range and kicking to win.

The “each team gets a possession” isn’t sudden death. We will have just played 60 minutes of the most grueling, most injury riddled sport to get to a non sudden death overtime. What was the point of the prior 60 minutes? They’ll have a game or games that go to triple or quadruple overtime or worse and some known commodity will suffer serious injury and we’ll be back rather quickly to debating that we need sudden death.

I mean good grief. You are at home in the AFC championship in OT. Just stop them from getting the TD. Make them settle for a FG. If you can’t do that with so much on the line, you got what you deserved and there’s nothing in the rules that screwed you or was unfair. Play some D.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2019, 07:01 PM by mikesez.)

NCAA rules barely even work for the NCAA. Didn't a game go to seven over times last year or the year before?
I think the NFL rule works great in the playoffs. The only thing I would change is maybe eliminating the coin toss and letting them do an auction for starting field position. The coach that agrees to start further back gets the ball first. Replace chance with strategy.
Or you could decide to not stop play at all. If the 4th quarter clock goes to 00:00 in the playoffs with the score tied, you could just decide to treat that like the break between the third and fourth quarters. Switch sides and pick up where you left off, except next score wins.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Bring back sudden death.

I can't stand college overtime. A 20-20 tie shouldn't end up being a 41-40 final. I typically change the channel when college games hit overtime.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!