Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Latest Rule Change to Stop the Patriots Gets Voted Down. For Now.

The Latest Rule Change to Stop the Patriots Gets Voted Down. For Now.

PFTNFL owners voted to table the Chiefs’ overtime proposal, Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports. It allows more time for study and discussion before the May meetings.

The Chiefs proposed that both teams possess the ball at least once in overtime. It came after New England scored a touchdown on the first drive of overtime in the AFC Championship Game, keeping Patrick Mahomes on the sideline and sending the Patriots to the Super Bowl.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/th...SizUs0jOhc
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am perfectly fine with regular season games ending with a tie (and no OT), and sudden death in the playoffs. If this ever passes, I hope multiple teams beat KC on second possession scores in OT.

If the league is serious about player safety (as is the NFLPA), why are they ok with extending games?

AAF Rules

(03-29-2019, 11:51 AM)Mikey Wrote: I am perfectly fine with regular season games ending with a tie (and no OT), and sudden death in the playoffs. If this ever passes, I hope multiple teams beat KC on second possession scores in OT.

If the league is serious about player safety (as is the NFLPA), why are they ok with extending games?

Does Defense not exist in the nfl anymore? like i'm sorry but the current rules are fine. If you can't stop your opponent from driving down the field and crossing the goalline.... you don't deserve to win the game. This isn't basketball on grass. Maybe Kansas City should focus on improving its 32nd ranked defense rather than try and tweak the rules towards their one dimensional offensive team.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-29-2019, 11:51 AM)Mikey Wrote: I am perfectly fine with regular season games ending with a tie (and no OT), and sudden death in the playoffs. If this ever passes, I hope multiple teams beat KC on second possession scores in OT.

I agree 100%.
The generation that said "a tie is like kissing your sister" is in the retirement home now.
The people who buy tickets and watch beer commercials now understand soccer games and have no problem with a hard-fought tie in the regular season.
By the way baseball should get this memo too.
They don't even have enough pitchers on the roster to do the rotation the way they want to do it into extra innings.
Baseball playoffs don't even need extra innings. They were going to play the next day anyway. Just let today's game end in a tie and see where the chips lay at the end of the scheduled games. They already do this for rain delays in the playoffs.
The only time you need to extend the game because of a tie is if you're doing a single elimination tournament. NBA playoffs don't need overtime. The NCAA tournament and NFL playoffs do. That's it.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Games should not end in ties. Sudden Death OT was fine and should be brought back.

My lawn, off.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Just start at the 5 and give the team an infinite amount of tries to score. The one that does it in the least amount of downs wins. If they tie, repeat.

Alternatively, but less satisfying, do a kick-off. Each kicker starts at the 50 and they kick until someone misses. Kickers already decide the fate of the game most times anyways, but I think the option above would be more exciting.

(03-30-2019, 01:37 PM)Last42min Wrote: Just start at the 5 and give the team an infinite amount of tries to score. The one that does it in the least amount of downs wins. If they tie, repeat.

Alternatively, but less satisfying, do a kick-off. Each kicker starts at the 50 and they kick until someone misses. Kickers already decide the fate of the game most times anyways, but I think the option above would be more exciting.

This isn't soccer, we should play the game until it's over.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-30-2019, 11:05 AM)mikesez Wrote:

I agree 100%.
The generation that said "a tie is like kissing your sister" is in the retirement home now.
The people who buy tickets and watch beer commercials now understand soccer games and have no problem with a hard-fought tie in the regular season.
By the way baseball should get this memo too.
They don't even have enough pitchers on the roster to do the rotation the way they want to do it into extra innings.
Baseball playoffs don't even need extra innings. They were going to play the next day anyway. Just let today's game end in a tie and see where the chips lay at the end of the scheduled games. They already do this for rain delays in the playoffs.
The only time you need to extend the game because of a tie is if you're doing a single elimination tournament. NBA playoffs don't need overtime. The NCAA tournament and NFL playoffs do. That's it.

I agree, regular season games that end in a tie after 4 quarters should just be a tie. No overtime except for postseason. The NFL used to do it this way without any problem.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-29-2019, 05:43 PM)Firesky Wrote: Does Defense not exist in the nfl anymore? like i'm sorry but the current rules are fine. If you can't stop your opponent from driving down the field and crossing the goalline.... you don't deserve to win the game. This isn't basketball on grass. Maybe Kansas City should focus on improving its 32nd ranked defense rather than try and tweak the rules towards their one dimensional offensive team.

The argument is that the possibility of a sudden death victory gives a huge advantage to whichever team wins the coin toss, especially with high scoring teams like the Patriots and Chiefs.  Giving both teams equal opportunity to possess the ball eliminates that element of chance.  Luck will always exist to some degree in sports, but the rules should seek to minimize it.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

As stated above, removing OT during the regular season is the way to go. Play calling in the 4th quarter will adjust for teams that don't want or can't afford a tie depending on where we are in the season and what their record currently looks like. 4th quarters will be generally more exciting and most games won't be extended unnecessarily which will help player safety which the league purports to be focused on.

The current OT rules are just fine for post season play. It takes the cheapness away of winning the toss and just getting into field goal range and winning the game and also allows the opportunity for both teams to possess the ball if the first team on defense can actually play defense.

Get outta here with that both teams automatically get a possession nonsense. We're gonna play 60 minutes to a tie to get to another period of non-sudden death before we actually get to sudden death? Get outta here. Andy Reid proposing this makes me lose respect for him.

(03-30-2019, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 01:37 PM)Last42min Wrote: Just start at the 5 and give the team an infinite amount of tries to score. The one that does it in the least amount of downs wins. If they tie, repeat.

This isn't soccer, we should play the game until it's over.

The kick-off idea is close to PKs, but what do you mean play until it's over? Just infinite 10 minute overtimes until there's a winner? Sudden death isn't going to work in an era of high-powered scoring. The NFL has slanted the field so much in favor of the offense that it means winning a coin flip is starting to decide the winner of a football game (this wasn't true historically). There has to be some kind of way to mitigate that. You're going to need to find some way to have a clear winner in a short amount of time. I prefer the infinite downs scenario. Sooner or later, a team will score or turn the ball over.

(03-31-2019, 04:52 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 02:13 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This isn't soccer, we should play the game until it's over.

The kick-off idea is close to PKs, but what do you mean play until it's over? Just infinite 10 minute overtimes until there's a winner? Sudden death isn't going to work in an era of high-powered scoring. The NFL has slanted the field so much in favor of the offense that it means winning a coin flip is starting to decide the winner of a football game (this wasn't true historically). There has to be some kind of way to mitigate that. You're going to need to find some way to have a clear winner in a short amount of time. I prefer the infinite downs scenario. Sooner or later, a team will score or turn the ball over.

I don't like the idea that to win the game you end up playing a different game. The old way of Sudden Death was the best way.

(03-31-2019, 01:22 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 05:43 PM)Firesky Wrote: Does Defense not exist in the nfl anymore? like i'm sorry but the current rules are fine. If you can't stop your opponent from driving down the field and crossing the goalline.... you don't deserve to win the game. This isn't basketball on grass. Maybe Kansas City should focus on improving its 32nd ranked defense rather than try and tweak the rules towards their one dimensional offensive team.

The argument is that the possibility of a sudden death victory gives a huge advantage to whichever team wins the coin toss, especially with high scoring teams like the Patriots and Chiefs.  Giving both teams equal opportunity to possess the ball eliminates that element of chance.  Luck will always exist to some degree in sports, but the rules should seek to minimize it.

This becomes a slippery slope, though.

If both teams are guaranteed possession, you will see every coin-toss winner defer, because then they know exactly what they must do to win. Then, the losing teams will campaign that if OT is so exciting, why stop at two possessions, let's play the whole quarter out for more drama (and ad revenue).

you had sixty minutes to outscore the opposing team. your defense had the opportunity to stop the offense in OT. if neither one of those worked out, should you really be crowned the victor?

I don't have an issue with the way it is now. But I also think the college format is definitely an improvement. I also don't mind if they remove the OT in the regular season. I think that it will skew records a little bit from what we are accustomed to currently. But I think we will get used to it.

I don't agree with flsprtsgod that the old sudden death way is the best. Like was said before, it puts way to much influence and severity in a coin toss which should never be the case in professional sports IMO.

(04-01-2019, 02:02 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I don't have an issue with the way it is now. But I also think the college format is definitely an improvement. I also don't mind if they remove the OT in the regular season. I think that it will skew records a little bit from what we are accustomed to currently. But I think we will get used to it.

I don't agree with flsprtsgod that the old sudden death way is the best. Like was said before, it puts way to much influence and severity  in a coin toss which should never be the case in professional sports IMO.

Nope, OT is intended to end the game as quickly as reasonable. If you don't want to lose then stop the other team from scoring, defense is supposed to matter.

if you aren't able to stop your opponent on a do or die drive then you are a deserved L-O-S-E-R.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 03:12 PM by Caldrac.)

I would be fine with it. The refs are going to miss calls or make calls that [BLEEP] a game up throughout the course of it (which we're all personally familiar with from 2018's AFCC loss to the Patriots). Teams should be given an opportunity to make up for said officiating crew's [BLEEP] up's.

They should go the NCAA route though. Where each team has a possession starting at their opponent's 25 yard line. They score a TD. You get a chance to tie it. If they score a FG. You get a chance to tie it or win it. This would make it more exciting and challenging. And it will save time IMHO at this level.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-01-2019, 03:12 PM)Caldrac Wrote:  

They should go the NCAA route though. Where each team has a possession starting at their opponent's 25 yard line. They score a TD. You get a chance to tie it. If they score a FG. You get a chance to tie it or win it. This would make it more exciting and challenging. And it will save time IMHO at this level.

I think this is absolutely the way to go.  It eliminates the luck of the coin toss and adds an additional element of coaching.  The touchdown/fieldgoal and fieldgoal/punt decisions become a lot more interesting.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-01-2019, 02:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 02:02 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: I don't have an issue with the way it is now. But I also think the college format is definitely an improvement. I also don't mind if they remove the OT in the regular season. I think that it will skew records a little bit from what we are accustomed to currently. But I think we will get used to it.

I don't agree with flsprtsgod that the old sudden death way is the best. Like was said before, it puts way to much influence and severity  in a coin toss which should never be the case in professional sports IMO.

Nope, OT is intended to end the game as quickly as reasonable. If you don't want to lose then stop the other team from scoring, defense is supposed to matter.

Meh, I respect that point. Also doesn't hurt that we support a team with a very high caliber defense. But if I'm being objective about this, I sway more to the other side.

Agree to disagree I suppose.