Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Masters Tournament

(04-18-2019, 09:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 02:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: According to Oxford, the definition of a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

That makes golf an actual sport.

If both golfers teed off at the same time, played their second shot, no matter the lie, at the same time... yes, it'd be a sport.

But because the times and conditions are different for each competitor it means each individual is only competing against himself and his individual conditions and elements at that time... which could be completely different for the next golfer 2 hours later.

It's a game.

Why is this an important distinction to you?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-19-2019, 01:11 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 12:49 PM)Rico Wrote: Pretty dumb.

So who is a golfer competing against?

It's just himself versus himself

Himself and 100 other golfers.

(04-19-2019, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 09:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: If both golfers teed off at the same time, played their second shot, no matter the lie, at the same time... yes, it'd be a sport.

But because the times and conditions are different for each competitor it means each individual is only competing against himself and his individual conditions and elements at that time... which could be completely different for the next golfer 2 hours later.

It's a game.

Why is this an important distinction to you?

Meh, it's really not. But I'm enjoying the debate.

Golf is just as boring as the day is long. So to say this is a greatest sports anything is a bit insulting to real athletes.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 09:17 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

(04-23-2019, 08:26 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 01:15 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why is this an important distinction to you?

Meh, it's really not. But I'm enjoying the debate.

Golf is just as boring as the day is long. So to say this is a greatest sports anything is a bit insulting to real athletes.

Nobody said its the greatest sport. I said it was the greatest moment in sports history.

I think baseball is boring and based on your logic, one could argue they aren't real athletes, but I still respect the game and the skill required to play it at a high level.

Also, there is a reason that 90% of professional athletes thrive to be better at golf.

(04-23-2019, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 08:26 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Meh, it's really not. But I'm enjoying the debate.

Nobody said its the greatest sport. I said it was the greatest moment in sports history.

I think baseball is boring and based on your logic, one could argue they aren't real athletes, but I still respect the game and the skill required to play it at a high level.

Also, there is a reason that 90% of professional athletes thrive to be better at golf.

Because they erroneously think it makes them part of the creme de la creme of society.

(04-23-2019, 09:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Nobody said its the greatest sport. I said it was the greatest moment in sports history.

Because they erroneously think it makes them part of the creme de la creme of society.

That, or its one of the most difficult sports on earth to master.

(04-23-2019, 09:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:13 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Nobody said its the greatest sport. I said it was the greatest moment in sports history.

They do? Which one told you that?

(04-23-2019, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:20 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Because they erroneously think it makes them part of the creme de la creme of society.

That, or its one of the most difficult sports on earth to master.

It's putting a ball in a hole with a stick while drinking.

Weeeeeeeeee

(04-23-2019, 11:41 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: That, or its one of the most difficult sports on earth to master.

It's putting a ball in a hole with a stick while drinking.

Weeeeeeeeee

You should give that a try one weekend and see if you can do it in 67 shots. It would be an impressive feat while drinking.

(04-23-2019, 11:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 11:41 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It's putting a ball in a hole with a stick while drinking.

Weeeeeeeeee

You should give that a try one weekend and see if you can do it in 67 shots. It would be an impressive feat while drinking.

I don't have three to five hours to waste playing a game.

My whole issue is:

a clutch throw in the playoffs outranks this - because it's harder to accomplish that against other human beings trying to kill you.
a clutch fade away jumper in the playoffs at the last second beats this

Basically any awesome thing in any real sport is automatically better because golf is just golf.

Is it the best moment in golf history? hell yes. is it amazing? god yes. My entire issue is calling it the greatest sports moment.

(04-23-2019, 11:48 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 11:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: You should give that a try one weekend and see if you can do it in 67 shots. It would be an impressive feat while drinking.

I don't have three to five hours to waste playing a game.

My whole issue is:

a clutch throw in the playoffs outranks this - because it's harder to accomplish that against other human beings trying to kill you.
a clutch fade away jumper in the playoffs at the last second beats this

Basically any awesome thing in any real sport is automatically better because golf is just golf.

Is it the best moment in golf history? hell yes. is it amazing? god yes. My entire issue is calling it the greatest sports moment.

Sorry, but you don't have a clue.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-18-2019, 10:05 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 12:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Ok, as are basketball, football, and hockey. What is the difference between a game and a sport in your opinion?

Direct physical competition.

Makes Tennis an actual sport versus Golf which is just a game played in turns with different conditions because it's time and turn based. It's a game.

(04-17-2019, 02:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote: You attend a football/baseball/basketball game, right? 

You are losing this argument. Badly.

You're an expert in nothing so your opinion means exactly that.

Nothing.

I'm no expert in the English language, but I understand it enough to know golf is no more or less of a game than any sport you hold dear. 

As for my opinion, it means as much as yours. That's the nature of opinions.

I'd be interested in knowing what your expertise is when it comes to opinions.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]