Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Masters Tournament

I want to see Tony Finau put this away. I've been watching him since his Web.com days. A super nice guy and a heck of a golfer. He's old school. Him and his brother used to travel to Vegas and hustle games. He echoed Lee Trevino (an ex hustler himself who helped promote Tony in his early days) that you don't know pressure until you're putting for money you don't have.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Greatest moment in sports history. Any sport.

(04-14-2019, 02:39 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Greatest moment in sports history. Any sport.

I would have to agree. When has any athlete come back from likely career-ending injuries and risen to the top like Tiger. Like Mohammed Ali, not everybody loves him but his greatness cannot be questioned. I can't remember watching a sporting event that was as exciting as this and the reaction of the Augusta crowd will be unforgettable. 

Now if the Jags can not blow the draft in 11 days we can all be happy!

I don't know if it was the greatest moment in sports history, but it ranks up there. I'd put Jesse Owens in the 1936 Berlin Olympics at the top of my list, but that was special in ways other than sports.

Good for Tiger, and great for golf. There can be redemption.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Notah Begay, who is Tiger's very long closest friend and a golf analyst for the Golf Channel, regaled a weekend visit at Wood's home a couple of years ago. Tiger invited Begay to watch him chip balls onto the practice green behind his house. Begay says out of 6 balls he attempted to chip onto the green from 10 yards away, 2 landed well short and 2 were skulled across the green. He was in that bad of shape.

(04-14-2019, 08:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Notah Begay, who is Tiger's very long closest friend and a golf analyst for the Golf Channel, regaled a weekend visit at Wood's home a couple of years ago. Tiger invited Begay to watch him chip balls onto the practice green behind his house. Begay says out of 6 balls he attempted to chip onto the green from 10 yards away, 2 landed well short and 2 were skulled across the green. He was in that bad of shape.

Yep. He also said there was a time in 2017 when Tiger couldn't walk on his own and had to recline the car seat so he wasn't in pain. This same guy won the freaking Masters 2 years later. That is absolutely unbelievable.

There are also reports where tiger himself thought he would never play again, think about that. This is by far one of the most historic comeback stories I've ever witnessed.

There are two aspects that are a little bitter sweet though. 1.) While the last spinal fusion that gave him his renewed mobility is close to miraculous Father time is undefeated. On 9 he missed an iron shot with the ball below his feet from the fairway. The announce pointed out that its a symptom of his back still having limitations to certain forms of strain. He is still going to take on a lighter playing load this year, and he will have to be careful when and when not to push himself. 2.) The comeback aspect will be forgotten in about 48 hours and the sports world is going to turn their attention to jacks record and Beth Page Black (the PGA Championship). Its a completely unfair ask of a 43 year old golfer who is still overcoming back issues facing the deepest field of golfers in our lifetimes (Koepka Speith Jonshon Reed Macilroy) but its the nature of sports.

I still think the Miracle on Ice is the greatest moment in sports history but boy this is pretty incredible. Tiger captivates the TV more than any other athlete in sports history. My wife couldn't care less about golf but she was hooked to the screen yesterday.

(04-15-2019, 09:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I still think the Miracle on Ice is the greatest moment in sports history but boy this is pretty incredible. Tiger captivates the TV more than any other athlete in sports history. My wife couldn't care less about golf but she was hooked to the screen yesterday.

Yea, I don't think you can rank anything that happens in Golf as greatest sports anything.

Golf is a hobby not a sport.

(04-16-2019, 02:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I still think the Miracle on Ice is the greatest moment in sports history but boy this is pretty incredible. Tiger captivates the TV more than any other athlete in sports history. My wife couldn't care less about golf but she was hooked to the screen yesterday.

Yea, I don't think you can rank anything that happens in Golf as greatest sports anything.

Checkers is a hobby. Golf is a sport.

(04-16-2019, 02:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 02:13 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, I don't think you can rank anything that happens in Golf as greatest sports anything.

Checkers is a hobby. Golf is a sport.

Checkers is a game. Same as Golf.

Thanks for playing.

(04-17-2019, 12:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 02:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Checkers is a hobby. Golf is a sport.

Thanks for playing.

Ok, as are basketball, football, and hockey. What is the difference between a game and a sport in your opinion?

Tiger's fifth Masters win is one of the best comeback stories in all of sports. No doubt.

I was ecstatic for him. It's a great thing for the game and it's a hell of an underdog story after the injuries, rehab and swing revisions he had to go through. Seeing him out there besting the greatest young golfers in the world with fused vertebrae in his back is just astounding.

(04-17-2019, 12:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 02:18 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Checkers is a hobby. Golf is a sport.

Thanks for playing.

You attend a football/baseball/basketball game, right? 

You are losing this argument. Badly.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I'd say Secretariat winning the Belmont.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019, 10:07 AM by TrivialPursuit.)

(04-17-2019, 12:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 12:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Checkers is a game. Same as Golf.

Thanks for playing.

Ok, as are basketball, football, and hockey. What is the difference between a game and a sport in your opinion?

Direct physical competition.

Makes Tennis an actual sport versus Golf which is just a game played in turns with different conditions because it's time and turn based. It's a game.

(04-17-2019, 02:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 12:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Checkers is a game. Same as Golf.

Thanks for playing.

You attend a football/baseball/basketball game, right? 

You're an expert in nothing so your opinion means exactly that.

Nothing.

(04-18-2019, 10:05 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 12:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Ok, as are basketball, football, and hockey. What is the difference between a game and a sport in your opinion?

Direct physical competition.

Makes Tennis an actual sport versus Golf which is just a game played in turns with different conditions because it's time and turn based. It's a game.

(04-17-2019, 02:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote: You attend a football/baseball/basketball game, right? 

Nothing.

According to Oxford, the definition of a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

That makes golf an actual sport.

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019, 09:57 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(04-18-2019, 02:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 10:05 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Direct physical competition.

Nothing.

According to Oxford, the definition of a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

If both golfers teed off at the same time, played their second shot, no matter the lie, at the same time... yes, it'd be a sport.

But because the times and conditions are different for each competitor it means each individual is only competing against himself and his individual conditions and elements at that time... which could be completely different for the next golfer 2 hours later.

It's a game.

(04-18-2019, 09:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 02:01 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: According to Oxford, the definition of a sport is: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment".

If both golfers teed off at the same time, played their second shot, no matter the lie, at the same time... yes, it'd be a sport.

But because the times and conditions are different for each competitor it means each individual is only competing against himself and his individual conditions and elements at that time... which could be completely different for the next golfer 2 hours later.

It's a game.

Pretty dumb.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-19-2019, 12:49 PM)Rico Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 09:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: If both golfers teed off at the same time, played their second shot, no matter the lie, at the same time... yes, it'd be a sport.

It's a game.

Pretty dumb.

So who is a golfer competing against?

It's just himself versus himself