Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Programming Alert

For the gluttons of punishment among us, NFL Network is currently showing the first round from the 2012 draft.

I still shake my head over that Blackmon pick.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I still shake my head over that Blackmon pick.

Yeah, but that's retrospectively, though right? Granted, he had trouble with DUIs in college, but at least he was talented. He absolutely belonged on an NFL field, talent wise. What I really shake my head at more are the picks that are completely terrible talent wise. Like leaving a JJ Watt to pick a Gabbert. 

That Blackmon pick can be forgiven, to a degree, because they probably thought they could get him through his alcohol troubles and they at least picked a good player. And that pick always makes me chuckle in a way when I think of ole Gene. I remember he used to get blasted for picking character guys over good players with troubled pasts. He finally capitulated only to have it bite him in his rear. Cruel fate he suffered there, though few could argue that he didn't deserve it.

(04-15-2019, 09:51 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I still shake my head over that Blackmon pick.

Yeah, but that's retrospectively, though right? Granted, he had trouble with DUIs in college, but at least he was talented. He absolutely belonged on an NFL field, talent wise. What I really shake my head at more are the picks that are completely terrible talent wise. Like leaving a JJ Watt to pick a Gabbert. 

That Blackmon pick can be forgiven, to a degree, because they probably thought they could get him through his alcohol troubles and they at least picked a good player. And that pick always makes me chuckle in a way when I think of ole Gene. I remember he used to get blasted for picking character guys over good players with troubled pasts. He finally capitulated only to have it bite him in his rear. Cruel fate he suffered there, though few could argue that he didn't deserve it.
Agreed completely.

From a talent perspective, Gene absolutely got the pick right.

But either they got deceived as to the extent of his alcohol problem, or they overestimated their ability to cope with it, or Gene was just that desperate for a hit, he didn't care.

Hopefully for Blackmon, he is happy and has conquered his substance dependence problem.  But from my selfish bastard Jaguars fan perspective, Blackmon represents the biggest waste of a draft pick in team history.  It's one thing to miss on his talent.  It's another to correctly evaluate a guy as a top five talent and still miss on the pick.

Blackmon, my God.... what a freaking waste... he has to have had some mental issues. He could have been a great one..
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-15-2019, 10:04 PM)Ronster Wrote: Blackmon, my God.... what a freaking waste... he has to have had some mental issues. He could have been a great one..

We could have used a clean and sober Blackmon in that AFCCG a couple of years ago, to say nothing of games against the tacks and Texans.

I’m just glad we’re past the multiple off-seasons wondering if Blackmon had applied for reinstatement with the league...
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(04-16-2019, 06:07 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: I’m just glad we’re past the multiple off-seasons wondering if Blackmon had applied for reinstatement with the league...

This is the year, I know he was just waiting for a real QB to work with on the field!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019, 09:08 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: For the gluttons of punishment among us, NFL Network is currently showing the first round from the 2012 draft.

At the time, most of us thought it was a great pick.

The weird thing was the way he just sort of gave up on football after he had those off field issues.   What would cause a person to do that?   Lack of self-esteem?   Did he just give up on himself?   It's tragic when you think about it.   Does he ever look back and say, "If I had just had a little more fortitude, if I had just fought a little harder, I could have been a great NFL player."   It's sad to think about, for his sake.

(04-16-2019, 09:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-15-2019, 09:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: For the gluttons of punishment among us, NFL Network is currently showing the first round from the 2012 draft.

The weird thing was the way he just sort of gave up on football after he had those off field issues.   What would cause a person to do that?   Lack of self-esteem?   Did he just give up on himself?   It's tragic when you think about it.   Does he ever look back and say, "If I had just had a little more fortitude, if I had just fought a little harder, I could have been a great NFL player."   It's sad to think about, for his sake.

"I got 8 million dollars in the bank. Let's go get a drink."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

"I'm not a...uniform."

I'm not upset with the Blackmon pick because he was an elite talent projecting to be one of the best WRs in the league. Now, I do have huge issues with his subsequent abuse of alcohol, etc, that led to his departure, however, if that part were mitigated as one might expect upon drafting him, Blackmon would be touted much like Ramsey is today as one of our best picks.
'02

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019, 02:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Blackmon had HOF potential and was the guy I wanted.

I liked Ashlon Jeffrey that year too.

Drugs and alcohol do that to most, zero drive or work ethic. There is a reason the term 'functional alcoholic' exists.

I remember the story that Tampa had sent one of their scouts to Blackmon's college town and just asked him to sit in a bar all week and report back on how many times Blackmon came in. After that week they took him off their board completely.

Wish we'd done that.

I'll never forget the crowd response at the Town Center when the pick was announced.  I can't recall any Jaguars pick-outside of maybe Boselli-getting that much nearly universal initial celebration from Jaguars fans.  I've repeatedly stated that given how much people here love the passing game and how long the Jaguars had been without a viable WR, he could have owned this town had he not had substance dependence issues.