Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is TE the need we think it is?

(04-23-2019, 10:20 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 09:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It seems like you are just now figuring this out.  

Yep and so was almost every other 1st round pick over the last 15 years.  Taking Matt Jones over A Rod was a horrible pick.  Shocking news

No, its been mentioned quite a bit by myself over the years, especially vs BAP drafting truthers.  

Ok good we're getting somewhere now. So what do you think was the flaw that led them to the failed Fournette pick, in your opinion?

Thinking we were a player away. I don;t think anybody would deny that at the time of that darft, RB was a glaring need to be filled. The absolute worst thing to happen was Zeke going the year (?) prior and lighting it up. At that point, GMs could again justify taking RB early, especially if you had a team that was going to lean on the run game. The front office probably added priority to someone like fournette because of the position he played, pushing other more talented guys down the board.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just finally spent several hours today looking at some highlight reels of offensive skill position players mostly for dynasty fantasy purposes, but also to have some idea about the guys that will be drafted over the weekend. Earlier in this thread I kinda got away from Hockenson at 7 being that he's a TE and the position is apparently deep this draft. Let me just say that I'm 100% ok if the pick is Hockenson at 7 after watching what I watched today. From a purely receiving view (fantasy points), I think he's significantly better than Fant or any other TE coming out though I do like Fant and Sternberger a lot as well. I'm not going to evaluate his blocking ability. I'll just defer to the general consensus that he is a very good blocker as well and the best total package TE coming out. If that is indeed true, his presence on the field should dramatically affect all aspects of the offense.

You can argue that there's better overall value in getting D-line or O-line in the 1st and picking up a TE later, but on a purely 1st round only view I'm completely fine if we go this direction because I think he's going to be a top 5 receiving TE in this league within the next few years if not immediately.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

People here seem to be undervaluing a go to target. Its been a long time since we've had a franchise TE that could be an every down guy. If we do anything else we better think he's a HoF type blocker or rusher. Our TE depth is atrocious as is. Foles is going to hate his time here. We've been burned so many times taking DL and OL in the first round I don't even want to think about it. I will be one salty Hawkeye if we do this again.
No pain, no gain.

(04-19-2019, 01:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Major need.

Doesn’t have to be at #7, but not drafting one with one of those first four picks would be unwise given the apparent role of the position in DeFilippo’s anticipated offense.

I'm glad the Jags brass were thinking the same way here ^

The more I watch Oliver's highlights and cut-ups, the more I think he'll be a big benefit to Foles and the new playbook.  There's tape of him lined up all over the place and getting open from each spot, his hands are good, and his speed is above average for the position. 

I can see him being active in the quick hit game frequently and occasionally being sent down the seam for a shot down field. 

Obviously the blocking will need to improve, but what he offers as a receiver will have immediate impact IMO.