Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AFCS Round one Draft Thoughts

(05-01-2019, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 12:10 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Nope..

I'm just glad that they invested upfront, now I hope for the best.  Kahale Warring does intrigue me though, if he develops with more football experience.

I think Howard will be a good tackle. Maybe really good.

Will he be good in 2019?  Ehhh, probably not. Raw prospect to say the least.

As I've said before, i think going against Watt, Mercilus and Clowney on a daily basis can speed his development-if it doesn't first destroy his confidence.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-01-2019, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 12:10 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: Nope..

I'm just glad that they invested upfront, now I hope for the best.  Kahale Warring does intrigue me though, if he develops with more football experience.

I think Howard will be a good tackle. Maybe really good.

That's fine.. Duane Brown had to split snaps his rookie season with Ephraim Salaam until his stamina was up to snuff for the next level.. we'll see how they bring Howard along.

(05-01-2019, 08:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 03:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think Howard will be a good tackle. Maybe really good.

As I've said before, i think going against Watt, Mercilus and Clowney on a daily basis can speed his development-if it doesn't first destroy his confidence.

Same for Jawaan Taylor for going against Allen, Yannick, and Campbell

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2019, 07:20 AM by Bullseye.)

(05-02-2019, 06:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 08:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: As I've said before, i think going against Watt, Mercilus and Clowney on a daily basis can speed his development-if it doesn't first destroy his confidence.

Same for Jawaan Taylor for going against Allen, Yannick, and Campbell

Absolutely-assuming Yannick will be in training camp that is.

Three different styles of pass rush,  three different body types, all with a variety of moves.  Jawaan Taylor showed a good work ethic losing the weight and keeping it under control at UF.  Hopefully that work ethic will carry over and improve in the NFL.  Hopefully he is or will become an avid film junkie and learns from his own o-linemen and the D-L.

Some rather scattershot thoughts on the AFCS draft from NFL.com/Dan Parr

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...maneuvered

My thought is that there should only be 2 draft days. Separating round 1 from round 2 and 3 is ridiculous.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(05-05-2019, 03:25 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: My thought is that there should only be 2 draft days. Separating round 1 from round 2 and 3 is ridiculous.

They had the perfect setup a few years back when the draft was on Saturday and Sunday.

You could plan your whole weekend around it and in most cases, didn't have to go to bed early for work.

(05-05-2019, 04:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 03:25 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: My thought is that there should only be 2 draft days. Separating round 1 from round 2 and 3 is ridiculous.

They had the perfect setup a few years back when the draft was on Saturday and Sunday.

You could plan your whole weekend around it and in most cases, didn't have to go to bed early for work.

I completely agree with this. I liked it when it was on the weekend.

It's all about the Benjamins...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-06-2019, 07:06 AM)Rico Wrote: It's all about the Benjamins...

absolutely.

Thursday is a primetime viewing boon, and people will pay attention to that round even as casual fans. Day 2 is great for the more avid fan, less so for the casual observers. Day 3 is for big names to get a mention, and only appeals to the most serious folks who know prospects beyond a few big-school or big-name guys.

I think the format is absolutely fine.   It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked last year, having to wait till nearly midnight for a pick, but I couldn't imagine rds 1-3 in one day. that would be 7 hours minimum to commit to viewing, based on this year's broadcasts, and there are VERY few events anyone will sit down for that length of time to view. 

Plus, with darft one done on Thursday, we have all day Friday to discuss who got picked, who shoulda got picked, and who we want our teams to pick while chillin' at the water cooler.

(05-06-2019, 12:17 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 07:06 AM)Rico Wrote: It's all about the Benjamins...

absolutely.

Thursday is a primetime viewing boon, and people will pay attention to that round even as casual fans. Day 2 is great for the more avid fan, less so for the casual observers. Day 3 is for big names to get a mention, and only appeals to the most serious folks who know prospects beyond a few big-school or big-name guys.

I think the format is absolutely fine.   It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked last year, having to wait till nearly midnight for a pick, but I couldn't imagine rds 1-3 in one day. that would be 7 hours minimum to commit to viewing, based on this year's broadcasts, and there are VERY few events anyone will sit down for that length of time to view. 

Plus, with darft one done on Thursday, we have all day Friday to discuss who got picked, who shoulda got picked, and who we want our teams to pick while chillin' at the water cooler.
As far as I'm concerned, Goodell did two things right when it comes to the draft.

1.  reducing the maximum time allotted for draft picks.  Teams used to have 15 minutes on the clock to make their pick in the first round, ten in the 2nd, and 7 from the 3rd round forth.  now, it's 10. 7. and 5.  That makes for a faster moving draft and an easier watch.  That reduction in the time should have enabled the league to keep the Saturday-Sunday format.

2.  Moving the draft from city to city and having former players announce the picks.  The smack laid down by Drew Pearson, Akers, and Reggie Wayne and the punter adds a whole new level of entertainment.

i'm feeling another #SweepSweep coming on...

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 11:11 AM by JaG4LyFe.)

(05-08-2019, 02:14 PM)VondyP Wrote: i'm feeling another #SweepSweep coming on...

Sweep your tooth with some toothpaste.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(05-09-2019, 11:10 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 02:14 PM)VondyP Wrote: i'm feeling another #SweepSweep coming on...

Sweep your tooth with some toothpaste.

Then get on to sweeping up that single wide you're squatting in with your cousin-bride.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2019, 07:25 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-27-2019, 11:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: How does not adressing your biggest need not help your team?

This draft wasn't about "win immediately".. It was "protect the QB/Franchise's future so we don't have another Carr situation on our hands!"  There is absolutely no way in Hades Watson survives another season like last year. If you want to call those two picks, need picks.. so be it, because they are, so be it.

As far as the TE we drafted.. well, that was not a need pick at all.  He was drafted for his incredible athletic ability and upside. If he pans out him, Jordan Thomas and him are going to be a load to deal with down by the goal line. Especially if Watson has a cleaner pocket and more time to throw. That kid is going be a complete mismatch and a nice safety blanket.

(Emphasis added)

I don't want to be the grammar police, and I am not trolling you (promise), but the double negative changes the meaning of the opening question-significantly.

If you removed the first "not," the question then makes the most sense from a Texans fan perspective.  Accordingly, I will answer this inquiry per my proposed edit.

I think you can endeavor to address a need and still not help your team if you do not adequately do so.  For years, the Jaguars have needed QBs.  We have tried to address the position in the draft but to no avail.  We snuck ahead of the Vikings who passed, enabling us to draft Leftwich in 2003.  We traded up in 2011 for Blaine Gabbert (bypassing J.J. freaking Watt).  In 2014, we took Bortles 3rd overall.  While the investments represented noble attempts to address the position, none of those attempts could be deemed successful.  Similarly, the Texans have tried to address offensive line over the years.  Just last year, you brought in Seantrel Henderson to fill a hole at RT, and you saw what happened.  I think while Howard and Scharping represent attempts to fill needs along the OL, I don't think they will be successful.  At minimum, they will be seen as reaches a couple of seasons from now, just as the majority view seems to view them that way not.  While they likely give you improved depth at those positions, ultimately, I don't think you have the answer at LT on your roster.

I have no problems with the Warring pick.

(04-28-2019, 12:28 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 11:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yall needed a LT and a RT.  Yall should of taken the best overall tackle in Taylor.  Although he is a RT, he was the best player

Well not on their board.. Just like the 2008 draft when the draft experts trashed the Texans for reaching for TE convert Duane Brown.  Obviously they didn't give a flying flip about Taylor.

Yeah, the Texans were right about drafting Duane Brown and I doubted the pick. 

But IIRC you had a different front office then.

TBH, it sucks for you guys you weren't able to work that out.  Smith brought in some good players for you guys.