Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
U.S Economy Grows 3.2% in Q1 of 2019

Once again, crushing expectations. Go Trump!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cue the "numbers don't mean what the numbers say they mean" crowd.

OR

"this is Obama's policies finally coming to fruition!"

That's with a govt. Shut down....

I work for architects and this seems to correlate to a spike in work we saw 12 to 24 months ago. We are getting fewer chances to bid on stuff now, and a lot of it is smaller and more tentative. I can't say for sure how soon that will correlate to a slowdown in GDP, but I have to think it will be in the next 12 months.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-26-2019, 01:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: I work for architects and this seems to correlate to a spike in work we saw 12 to 24 months ago.  We are getting fewer chances to bid on stuff now, and a lot of it is smaller and more tentative.  I can't say for sure how soon that will correlate to a slowdown in GDP, but I have to think it will be in the next 12 months.

The momentum of the Obama era can only last so long.

(04-26-2019, 01:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 01:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: I work for architects and this seems to correlate to a spike in work we saw 12 to 24 months ago.  We are getting fewer chances to bid on stuff now, and a lot of it is smaller and more tentative.  I can't say for sure how soon that will correlate to a slowdown in GDP, but I have to think it will be in the next 12 months.

Typically 4-8 years depending on circumstances.

(04-26-2019, 01:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

It's foolish to blame anyone in the government for any of this kind of stuff.
Trump's tax cut made the growth phase we were in a little more intense in the short term, but every business cycle runs out of ideas and enthusiasm eventually.  Hopefully the downturn will be gentle with relatively low unemployment.

The government should be building a safety net such that people don't starve or get forced to live in their cars when the downturn hits.  But it shouldn't get blamed for the downs of the business cycle, nor should it get credit for the ups.

(04-26-2019, 02:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 01:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The momentum of the Obama era can only last so long.

Trump's tax cut made the growth phase we were in a little more intense in the short term, but every business cycle runs out of ideas and enthusiasm eventually.  Hopefully the downturn will be gentle with relatively low unemployment.

The government should be building a safety net such that people don't starve or get forced to live in their cars when the downturn hits.  But it shouldn't get blamed for the downs of the business cycle, nor should it get credit for the ups.

Don't forget massive Obama era deregulation to remove the choke-hold from the throat of businesses, allowing them to thrive again.

So, the government should be using tax dollars to build a safety net for people capable of building their own safety net with the additional income they are receiving from the current economy? What does the government need to do in addition to what is is already doing?

(04-26-2019, 02:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 02:11 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's foolish to blame anyone in the government for any of this kind of stuff.

Don't forget massive Obama era deregulation to remove the choke-hold from the throat of businesses, allowing them to thrive again.

So, the government should be using tax dollars to build a safety net for people capable of building their own safety net with the additional income they are receiving from the current economy? What does the government need to do in addition to what is is already doing?

We just need to make more government policy responsive to high levels of unemployment.  Our government already has a few elegant policies that ramp up as unemployment increases.
Of course unemployment insurance is one. then there is the EITC and Medicaid and Chip.  
Just make more policies responsive like these.  Perhaps an automatic cut to payroll taxes.  Perhaps an automatic delay in new work visas. Perhaps an automatic increase in military recruitment quotas. Maybe the number of weeks that unemployment benefits last gets longer when unemployment is high, and shorter when it is low. I think Vox had an article about it.

(04-26-2019, 02:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 02:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Don't forget massive Obama era deregulation to remove the choke-hold from the throat of businesses, allowing them to thrive again.

We just need to make more government policy responsive to high levels of unemployment.  Our government already has a few elegant policies that ramp up as unemployment increases.
Of course unemployment insurance is one. then there is the EITC and Medicaid and Chip.  
Just make more policies responsive like these.  Perhaps an automatic cut to payroll taxes.  Perhaps an automatic delay in new work visas. Perhaps an automatic increase in military recruitment quotas. Maybe the number of weeks that unemployment benefits last gets longer when unemployment is high, and shorter when it is low. I think Vox had an article about it.

So more government, more tax and spend, more regulation to throttle the economy. Brilliant!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-26-2019, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 02:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: We just need to make more government policy responsive to high levels of unemployment.  Our government already has a few elegant policies that ramp up as unemployment increases.

So more government, more tax and spend, more regulation to throttle the economy. Brilliant!

I don't see where I said any of that but you're going to read what you want anyway.

(04-26-2019, 08:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So more government, more tax and spend, more regulation to throttle the economy. Brilliant!

I don't see where I said any of that but you're going to read what you want anyway.

You propose more government on every line you wrote. You dont get what you want without also getting what I said.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-26-2019, 08:32 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 06:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So more government, more tax and spend, more regulation to throttle the economy. Brilliant!

Come on now. Huh Maybe give Vox a rest.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-26-2019, 10:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 08:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: I don't see where I said any of that but you're going to read what you want anyway.

You propose more government on every line you wrote. You dont get what you want without also getting what I said.

You see any change or tweak as "more".

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 03:38 PM by jj82284.)

(04-26-2019, 02:11 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 01:52 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The momentum of the Obama era can only last so long.

Just shaking my head...

(04-26-2019, 02:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 02:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Don't forget massive Obama era deregulation to remove the choke-hold from the throat of businesses, allowing them to thrive again.

...  Yeh.  Maybe the school board in Chicago or the managing directors of the VA should get right on that!

Most massive economic interventions lead to the two slowest recoveries from state generated recessions. But hey, it's just a little tweak.