Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Disappointed with Allen over Hockenson?

(10-31-2022, 04:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 04:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: At that time? Yes. That front office was looking to potentially start grooming a replacement for Campbell and/or Ngakoue in 2019.

They had a 3rd RD pick from 2016 looking for a new deal entering his 4th year and being apart of Campbell's abilities off the edge as well from 2017 entering his third year on his deal.

Same reason they drafted Taven Bryan over a QB to replace Malik Jackson the year prior.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
TE was a bigger need than DE at the time.  You never draft a guy just to fill a need or replace someone.  You take the guy you feel is the best player.  The reasons you gave doesn’t make it the right pick at the time
No. In fairness. Josh Allen was highly rated. Much more highly rated than T.J Hockenson.

People felt he wouldn't have made it past the Raiders or Jets. He fell into our laps and nobody expected that.

2018 was an odd season though. Was a big let down from 2017 and 2019 saw an introduction of Foles and a surprising Minshew show up. Who went 6 - 6 with Foles going 0 - 4.

I dont think TE was the biggest need. I think that current regime was looking to replicate 2017's defensive success and resist the value of Allen there with more of a long term fix potentially.

Hockenson has been "Ok" in Detroit. I wouldnt say he's really done anything note worthy up there. I honestly forgot about him.

For what its worth. I was hyping up Mark Andrews in 2018. This team should have drafted him.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 04:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: TE was a bigger need than DE at the time.  You never draft a guy just to fill a need or replace someone.  You take the guy you feel is the best player.  The reasons you gave doesn’t make it the right pick at the time
No. In fairness. Josh Allen was highly rated. Much more highly rated than T.J Hockenson.

People felt he wouldn't have made it past the Raiders or Jets. He fell into our laps and nobody expected that.

2018 was an odd season though. Was a big let down from 2017 and 2019 saw an introduction of Foles and a surprising Minshew show up. Who went 6 - 6 with Foles going 0 - 4.

I dont think TE was the biggest need. I think that current regime was looking to replicate 2017's defensive success and resist the value of Allen there with more of a long term fix potentially.

Hockenson has been "Ok" in Detroit. I wouldnt say he's really done anything note worthy up there. I honestly forgot about him.

For what its worth. I was hyping up Mark Andrews in 2018. This team should have drafted him.

By who?  Mock drafts? lol  Hockenson was an elite prospect as well and it showed when he went 1 pick after Allen, he was almost always mocked top 10  He could of easily went to us.  A lot wanted Hockenson and some where upset that we took Allen over Hock.  Look at the tread title.  I was back and forth over the idea but would of been very pleased with Hockenson and it was a huge need.  Hock has been a very good TE and is a good blocker an pass catcher.  He had a Pro Bowl season a couple years ago and last year missed some games due to injury.  He had almost 200 yards and 2 TDs a few weeks back, he would be very good in a Doug Pederson offense.  I wanted Mark Andrew too, he was amazing in college and fell in the draft because of diabetes.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2022, 07:55 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-31-2022, 07:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: No. In fairness. Josh Allen was highly rated. Much more highly rated than T.J Hockenson.

By who?  Mock drafts? lol  Hockenson was an elite prospect as well and it showed when he went 1 pick after Allen, he was almost always mocked top 10  He could of easily went to us.  A lot wanted Hockenson and some where upset that we took Allen over Hock.  Look at the tread title.  I was back and forth over the idea but would of been very pleased with Hockenson and it was a huge need.  Hock has been a very good TE and is a good blocker an pass catcher.  He had a Pro Bowl season a couple years ago and last year missed some games due to injury.  He had almost 200 yards and 2 TDs a few weeks back, he would be very good in a Doug Pederson offense.  I wanted Mark Andrew too, he was amazing in college and fell in the draft because of diabetes.
No, man. Try every major scouting website and talking head in the mainstream media.

Josh Allen was highly touted and considered top three to five on most big boards.

He was in good company with guys like Nick Bosa and Devin White overall. Had some great things to like coming out of Kentucky.

That's why I am hard on him in the trade rumor thread. I had higher expectations for him and rightfully so. He delivered 10.5 sacks his rookie year.

Go look at his stats, highlights and film breakdowns from his days at Kentucky. He was probably one of the best cover linebackers and edge rushers that year in general.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2022, 09:42 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-31-2022, 07:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 07:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: By who?  Mock drafts? lol  Hockenson was an elite prospect as well and it showed when he went 1 pick after Allen, he was almost always mocked top 10  He could of easily went to us.  A lot wanted Hockenson and some where upset that we took Allen over Hock.  Look at the tread title.  I was back and forth over the idea but would of been very pleased with Hockenson and it was a huge need.  Hock has been a very good TE and is a good blocker an pass catcher.  He had a Pro Bowl season a couple years ago and last year missed some games due to injury.  He had almost 200 yards and 2 TDs a few weeks back, he would be very good in a Doug Pederson offense.  I wanted Mark Andrew too, he was amazing in college and fell in the draft because of diabetes.
No, man. Try every major scouting website and talking head in the mainstream media.

Josh Allen was highly touted and considered top three to five on most big boards.

He was in good company with guys like Nick Bosa and Devin White overall.  Had some great things to like coming out of Kentucky.

That's why I am hard on him in the trade rumor thread. I had higher expectations for him and rightfully so. He delivered 10.5 sacks his rookie year.

Go look at his stats, highlights and film breakdowns from his days at Kentucky. He was probably one of the best cover linebackers and edge rushers that year in general.

You cant go by those boards man lol.  They dont match teams boards which is all that mattters. They might be close at times but you cant go by those websites and mock drafts.  I dont need to watch his highlights or stats, i seen him throughout his college career but Allen fell to us at 7 so its clear they were wrong on him.  Allen was not in company with Bosa as great as he was in college.  Bosa was a diffferent animal and Hock was one of the elite prospects in that draft right with Allen.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 11:00 AM by Mikey.)

(10-31-2022, 03:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did we draft the right guy?

If we darfted Hock, Urbz might not have given Teebs a workout, and we might not have gone on a downward spiral of bad choices that eventually led to his firing.

Good gravy Allen might have been the best pick in franchise history

(10-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 04:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: TE was a bigger need than DE at the time.  You never draft a guy just to fill a need or replace someone.  You take the guy you feel is the best player.  The reasons you gave doesn’t make it the right pick at the time

This.

The NYG taking Daniel Jones was an "OMG they left Josh Allen in our laps" reaction. Sprint to the podium type of prospect.

Hock hasn't radically changed anything in DET, I don't see that he'd have done any different for us.

(11-01-2022, 10:58 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 03:32 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did we draft the right guy?

If we darfted Hock, Urbz might not have given Teebs a workout, and we might not have gone on a downward spiral of bad choices that eventually led to his firing.

(10-31-2022, 06:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote: No. In fairness. Josh Allen was highly rated. Much more highly rated than T.J Hockenson.

This.

The NYG taking Daniel Jones was an "OMG they left Josh Allen in our laps" reaction. Sprint to the podium type of prospect.

Hock hasn't radically changed anything in DET, I don't see that he'd have done any different for us.

What has Allen radically changed here?  What be nice to have a Pro Bowl TE like Hock.

Hahahaha Hock is so good he was just traded for a 2nd rounder

(11-01-2022, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahahaha Hock is so good he was just traded for a 2nd rounder

2nd and 3rd.  Damn good move for the Vikings.  The missing piece for that offense.

(11-01-2022, 11:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 10:58 AM)Mikey Wrote: If we darfted Hock, Urbz might not have given Teebs a workout, and we might not have gone on a downward spiral of bad choices that eventually led to his firing.

This.

What has Allen radically changed here?  What be nice to have a Pro Bowl TE like Hock.

your mind is set, not gonna bother.

(11-01-2022, 12:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hahahaha Hock is so good he was just traded for a 2nd rounder

And to a Divisional opponent as well, which we don't see often. Shows they aren't worried about playing against him twice a year.

(11-01-2022, 05:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

And to a Divisional opponent as well, which we don't see often. Shows they aren't worried about playing against him twice a year.

Vikings and lions seem to have a rapport going as far as trading in division. I believe it was the vikings who traded the lions the pick they used to get jameson williams.