Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
6th round pick : QB Gardner Minshew

(05-09-2019, 12:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Guess he's the official back up already. Kessler is out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He still has 2 other guys to beat out. But he should be the favorite.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

So let's talk about Minshew's competition for the backup spot: McGough and Tanner Lee. Did anyone see enough progress from Lee to think he has a shot at #2? And what about McGough? I seem to remember a few people here were excited when we signed him.

(05-09-2019, 12:37 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So let's talk about Minshew's competition for the backup spot: McGough and Tanner Lee.  Did anyone see enough progress from Lee to think he has a shot at #2?  And what about McGough? I seem to remember a few people here were excited when we signed him.

Lee had one good preseason performance last year after a few ugly ones, and that's about it. I found the good one encouraging, but the fact they brought in two more QBs the way they did tells me the staff hasn't been loving Lee's development since then. 

McGough keeps getting minor hype from Oehser and others close to the team, so I'd guess that's the more probable competition in camp.  McGough vs Minshew.

Two guys with Washington roots. If I recall, we once had a QB from Washington that was pretty good.

(05-09-2019, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:37 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So let's talk about Minshew's competition for the backup spot: McGough and Tanner Lee.  Did anyone see enough progress from Lee to think he has a shot at #2?  And what about McGough? I seem to remember a few people here were excited when we signed him.

Lee had one good preseason performance last year after a few ugly ones, and that's about it. I found the good one encouraging, but the fact they brought in two more QBs the way they did tells me the staff hasn't been loving Lee's development since then. 

McGough keeps getting minor hype from Oehser and others close to the team, so I'd guess that's the more probable competition in camp.  McGough vs Minshew.

I have a feeling they carry three this year.  Foles, Minshew, and whoever looks the best out of the rest of the group.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-09-2019, 01:21 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee had one good preseason performance last year after a few ugly ones, and that's about it. I found the good one encouraging, but the fact they brought in two more QBs the way they did tells me the staff hasn't been loving Lee's development since then. 

I have a feeling they carry three this year.  Foles, Minshew, and whoever looks the best out of the rest of the group.
Best case scenario is we are able to trade one of them during or immediately after the preseason.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-09-2019, 01:21 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lee had one good preseason performance last year after a few ugly ones, and that's about it. I found the good one encouraging, but the fact they brought in two more QBs the way they did tells me the staff hasn't been loving Lee's development since then. 

Unless McGough lights it up in preseason to the extent that we can't stash him on the PS. I think that we have 2 Rostered: Foles as starter, Minshew as backup, and McGough will man the scout team on the PS.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I'm thinking the only real battle is McGough vs Lee for the PS scouting team QB.

Here are some highlights of McGough from last year's Preseason with the Seahawks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3knJcSbiIU
'02

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

Not sure if posted already, but I really like this guys podcasts and the way he delivers his analysis (on other videos as well). Also, I think he says some really good stuff about Minshew actually having a really good feel for the game, a high IQ and being good teammate (but his arm strength being pretty bad). Its not like his form is broken though, if he can learn how to use his legs, he could turn out to be one of the better BU QBs in the League because he seems like a guy you want to have in your film room. Im actually liking this pick and Im rooting for Minshew to stick around.

Not sure he will ever be good if mechanics. We have been thru that before. I am rooting for him though.

If he throws another pick six during practice they should be able to shave off his goofy stache. That aught to motivate him.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-28-2019, 08:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If he throws another pick six during practice they should be able to shave off his goofy stache. That aught to motivate him.

I'm rooting for all of these guys. Doesn't matter which one steps up to me...

...but I was massively underwhelmed by Minshew's velocity in all of the cut-ups I watched pre-draft. He seems smart with his reads, but I still wonder if that's enough to make up for the weak delivery.

(05-28-2019, 09:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 08:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: If he throws another pick six during practice they should be able to shave off his goofy stache. That aught to motivate him.

I'm rooting for all of these guys. Doesn't matter which one steps up to me...

...but I was massively underwhelmed by Minshew's velocity in all of the cut-ups I watched pre-draft. He seems smart with his reads, but I still wonder if that's enough to make up for the weak delivery.

I recall Jay Fiedler had a very slow delivery, and it worked out ok for him. Not that he ever attained great heights, but he had five somewhat productive seasons with the Dolphins after he left Jacksonville. Fiedler slowers passes were easily catchable for the Dolphins younger WRs, and with his accuracy he avoided INTs.

That said, Minshew is a scrambler as the above video points out. That Minshew compares to Kyler Murray on his feet is extremely exciting as far as potential as I don't recall Fiedler running around all that much. Moreover, it looks like the issue is more about his throwing mechanics, so it might be possible for him to develop there.
'02

I guess you just never know. Tom Brady was the 199th pick in his draft class. This is what the hometown newspaper had to say about him........

“Brady pick hard to figure” said the headline in The Boston Herald. “What’s with that?” the paper went on to say. “Why another quarterback? The Patriots already have their franchise starter in Drew Bledsoe, a proven veteran backup in John Friesz, and a young developmental player in Michael Bishop.”

(04-28-2019, 07:28 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Not sure why we went minshew instead of tyree Jackson. We got a guy whose ceiling is essentially what Kessler is now. Why not roll the dice on a guy with an elite arm and good mobility?
 Tyree Jackson completion percentage average about 56% that is why.  2016  53%  2017 60%  2018 55%  that is not an elite arm.

(05-29-2019, 12:34 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 07:28 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Not sure why we went minshew instead of tyree Jackson. We got a guy whose ceiling is essentially what Kessler is now. Why not roll the dice on a guy with an elite arm and good mobility?
 Tyree Jackson completion percentage average about 56% that is why.  2016  53%  2017 60%  2018 55%  that is not an elite arm.

There was a color-coded chart looking at several stats among the QBs this year, and Jackson's stat-line was full of red. He's going to take a few years before he'll ever be able to step on a field. No other QB in the class had anywhere near as much red as Jackson, and many of the stats showed him dead last by far.  I'm doubting we ever hear his name again moving forward. 
'02