Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offseason evaluation

(05-26-2019, 11:20 AM)Upper Wrote: We need instant super bowl caliber play from three rookies to have a shot. Our defense sans Telvin, Malik, and Gipson is still quality but has a razor thin margin for error as far as drop offs or health go. One of the major reasons 2017 worked out so well is because we had insane luck in the injury department, we're going to need that again.

I think we are probably about the same team talent wise w/ the rookie additions and veteran losses, so it'll come down to Foles. Does he improve on Blake by enough to leap the rest of the division which is much, much stronger now than in 2017?

If it came down to how much better Foles is than Bortles, I think we’ll be ok.  I’m not sure of Foles stats on footballs bouncing off the o-line or interceptions that bounce off receivers feet while trying to ground it, but I’m pretty sure Bortles has a pair of each.  

Being a little more serious, Foles is definitely more accurate and consistent than Blake.  I also don’t think teams will just stack the box and dare Foles to make a play.  Because he’s already proven himself.  I think teams will have a bit more respect for the offense.  I’ll keep expectations to a minimum but am hoping for some good improvement offensively.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-26-2019, 01:10 PM)Jags Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 11:20 AM)Upper Wrote: ...

...so it'll come down to Foles. Does he improve on Blake by enough to leap the rest of the division which is much, much stronger now than in 2017?

If it came down to how much better Foles is than Bortles, I think we’ll be ok.  I’m not sure of Foles stats on footballs bouncing off the o-line or interceptions that bounce off receivers feet while trying to ground it, but I’m pretty sure Bortles has a pair of each.  

Being a little more serious, Foles is definitely more accurate and consistent than Blake.  I also don’t think teams will just stack the box and dare Foles to make a play.  Because he’s already proven himself.  I think teams will have a bit more respect for the offense.  I’ll keep expectations to a minimum but am hoping for some good improvement offensively.

The bolded is going to spark a very positive change IMO. 

Instead of the offense telegraphing run on first down 70% of the time, DeFilippo will likely present run looks that can easily turn into a quick pass to a receiver, back or TE. Combine that with a QB that can get the ball there accurately and on time, and that old defensive strategy of loading the box and waiting on a Blake mistake is out the window for our opponents. 

I hope it actually comes together that way.

(05-26-2019, 01:10 PM)Jags Wrote: I also don’t think teams will just stack the box and dare Foles to make a play.  

As always, that will come down to offensive formations, not offensive personnel. If we're constantly lining up with 2 TE/FB and only 1 or 2 WR then the box will be stacked. That's true whether it's Bortles, Foles, or Tom Brady under center (Mike Gillislee led the NFL in stacked box % a year ago for the Pats).

(05-26-2019, 02:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 01:10 PM)Jags Wrote: I also don’t think teams will just stack the box and dare Foles to make a play.  

As always, that will come down to offensive formations, not offensive personnel. If we're constantly lining up with 2 TE/FB and only 1 or 2 WR then the box will be stacked. That's true whether it's Bortles, Foles, or Tom Brady under center (Mike Gillislee led the NFL in stacked box % a year ago for the Pats).

I think the reliance on that limited formation and the result of its frequent use is the primary reason Hackett was fired. 

Wouldn't make much sense to bring in a new play-caller and playbook to simply revert to what didn't work the last time around, would it?

(05-26-2019, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-26-2019, 02:23 PM)Upper Wrote: As always, that will come down to offensive formations, not offensive personnel. If we're constantly lining up with 2 TE/FB and only 1 or 2 WR then the box will be stacked. That's true whether it's Bortles, Foles, or Tom Brady under center (Mike Gillislee led the NFL in stacked box % a year ago for the Pats).
I think the reliance on that limited formation and the result of its frequent use is the primary reason Hackett was fired. 

Wouldn't make much sense to bring in a new play-caller and playbook to simply revert to what didn't work the last time around, would it?

Couldn't agree more and I believe Foles and the RPO will not allow defences to pin their ears back come hard. Foles can make the reads quickly, but more importantly ACCURATELY than BB5 could ever hope to which also will keep defences honest.
"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!