Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2019 WR/TE discussion (merged)

(04-28-2019, 05:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 05:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: Their confidence in who we have at WR is pretty questionable imo....
I'd have been quite happy about a WR addition with the 5th or 6th round picks, but I have much more confidence that the current corps will produce just fine in a new offense with a competent QB.

To this I Concur. Especially that NF7 is more accurate/consistent than BB5.

NH3.
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Actually we are even worse because Moncreif is gone. Lee will be coming back from an injury so who knows what we will get from him. 

Westbrook should be primed for a breakout season but he’s not a WR1.

Chark is a guy that I don’t know what to think. Huge value in last years draft but didn’t really get many plays his way. And to Ben honest he dropped some balls.

Maybe our TE will be our passing focal point like Ertz up in Philly.

Idk

Tyre Brady has good size...we'll see I guess
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(04-30-2019, 02:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Actually we are even worse because Moncreif is gone. Lee will be coming back from an injury so who knows what we will get from him. 

Westbrook should be primed for a breakout season but he’s not a WR1.

Chark is a guy that I don’t know what to think. Huge value in last years draft but didn’t really get many plays his way. And to Ben honest he dropped some balls.

Maybe our TE will be our passing focal point like Ertz up in Philly.

Idk
  • It's not the same as last year (as your merged thread title suggested)
  • Lee is back - should be full go by week 3 or 4
  • Chark will be in year two and only had about 30 targets from bad QBs behind a bad line last year. Don't focus on a couple of drops. We really haven't seen him play yet. 
  • Conley has 4.3 speed and is probably better than Moncrief when all is said and done
  • Yes, the TEs and RBs will be used heavily in the passing game, so you don't have to expect 1000 yard seasons from these receivers
  • If Westbrook/Lee/Chark combine for about 2000 yards, the TEs and backs will likely cover another 1500 combined. That's do-able. 
  • and finally - THERE IS A MUCH BETTER QB THROWING THE BALL TO THESE RECEIVERS NOW

I'm thinking Chark and Westbrook on the outside, Lee in the slot, Conley ready to take over when Lee gets hurt, the Cole and a UDFA/waiver claim claiming the sixth spot. Westbrook is a likely candidate for returning punts, and I do expect a John DeFilippo offense to have 6 WRs on board.

TE is a little tougher because there really isn't a sure-fire player in the bunch. I think Swaim gets the first shot at the starting job, with Oliver given a chance to steal it in camp. If he doesn't start, Oliver will be a key rotational player with the limitation that he's primarily a receiver. Behind them, who knows? If O'Shaugnessey or Koyack are starting, we're in trouble. I wouldn't be too surprised if Koyack lost his job to a UDFA/waiver claim.

I would have liked the Jags to have signed Demaryius Thomas instead of the Patriots. The rich get richer it seems

(04-30-2019, 02:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm thinking Chark and Westbrook on the outside, Lee in the slot, Conley ready to take over when Lee gets hurt, the Cole and a UDFA/waiver claim claiming the sixth spot. Westbrook is a likely candidate for returning punts, and I do expect a John DeFilippo offense to have 6 WRs on board.

TE is a little tougher because there really isn't a sure-fire player in the bunch. I think Swaim gets the first shot at the starting job, with Oliver given a chance to steal it in camp. If he doesn't start, Oliver will be a key rotational player with the limitation that he's primarily a receiver. Behind them, who knows? If O'Shaugnessey or Koyack are starting, we're in trouble. I wouldn't be too surprised if Koyack lost his job to a UDFA/waiver claim.

Caldwell has mentioned Westbrook in the slot multiple times, but I'm certain they'll mix things up and not pigeonhole them. Lee can play slot or Z effectively - as can Westbrook, so they'll probably interchange IMO. 

Oliver will be a move TE that lines up all over the formation (based on what he did in college and what DeFilippo has said post draft) -  while Swaim will probably be be the "in line" guy most of the time. Available to block or leak out as a receiver. 

Agreed on the depth TE situation/probability.

I agree with Jack, ita definitely a bottom 10 unit as of right now. My hope is rhat Chark takes q big step forward, I belive he has the tools to be a number 1 if he develops properly. But I truly believe we will be kicking ourselves in a few years for not taking butler over Quincy.

(04-30-2019, 02:56 PM)cincyjacket Wrote: I would have liked the Jags to have signed Demaryius Thomas instead of the Patriots. The rich get richer it seems

Don't beat yourself up over Thomas. The Broncos saw that he was done and hoodwinked the Texans into giving them a 4th for him last year. Then he tore his achilles tendon (a killer injury for WR's for sure) and was released by the Texans. I'm not sure why the Patriots are even bringing him in.

Then there's this:

Former Denver Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas was arrested is in custody for vehicular assault related to a rollover crash earlier this month.Thomas was involved in a single-vehicle crash early in the morning of Feb. 16, his car rolling and coming to a stop in a grassy median.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...badd1a3ab1 
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(04-30-2019, 03:35 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I agree with Jack, ita definitely a bottom 10 unit as of right now. My hope is rhat Chark takes q big step forward, I belive he has the tools to be a number 1 if he develops properly. But I truly believe we will be kicking ourselves in a few years for not taking butler over Quincy.

It's obvious that this season is going to be about playing strong Defense and running the football again (just like 2017). All they want Foles to do is be a game manager and not turn the ball over/lose games. 

While I would have liked to see a WR added in the draft, I'm not all too worried about it because I don't think they plan on having them be too much of a focus anyways. A true pass catching TE was a much bigger need over WR. If this Offense is having to throw the ball 30+ times a game anyways, that'll be a bad sign.

(05-02-2019, 11:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1123931899775389698?s=19

If your pass hits the back of your right guard's helmet, does that count as a drop? A.J. Cann's head was one of Blake's favorite targets.

We didn't get to see much of him this past season, just 14 catches on like 25 targets, but here's a quick video of some of the stuff Chark did this season, to get a refresher. I remember that he showed good ability to track the football in the air, but I forgot how hard he runs with the ball in his hands. Definitely looking forward to see how his development is coming along this season.

https://twitter.com/SergeJAGS/status/112...2153835521

Watching those Chark highlights is encouraging. It's generally thought he's going to be out wide at the split-end spot possibly sharing time with Conley out there, so it was good to see that over half his reps in these clips came from the "x" position. I keep thinking about how much we can really use a dynamic #1 WR to take over this spot, but part of me is hopeful that Chark will eventually be that guy proving himself to be just as "dynamic" (a word Caldwell likes to use) as any other WR out there. 
'02

(05-07-2019, 12:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Watching those Chark highlights is encouraging. It's generally thought he's going to be out wide at the split-end spot possibly sharing time with Conley out there, so it was good to see that over half his reps in these clips came from the "x" position. I keep thinking about how much we can really use a dynamic #1 WR to take over this spot, but part of me is hopeful that Chark will eventually be that guy proving himself to be just as "dynamic" (a word Caldwell likes to use) as any other WR out there. 

The number of people writing him off has been silly to me. We saw so little of him and folks are somehow convinced he's just a guy. 

I think he's going to be a factor, and if Lee gets healthy and stays that way, I really think this whole receiving corps is going to prove a lot of haters wrong. 

A couple of the local radio guys have been herp derping on and on about it being possibly the worst WR group in the league. 
I think that's just stupid. What the group has is some question marks. (development and health) 
That shouldn't earn the group some "worst ranking" in May. 

I think it's a mid tier group that may not have a stud #1, but has good potential for very solid production. 
I tried to float this ^ theory to dozens of folks around here pre-draft that said we had to take a receiver early...  We see how that part of it went down. If I'm wrong about it, then this front office clearly is too. 

Westbrook/Lee/Chark/Conley/ looks pretty solid to me. They just have to figure out if Cole can get back to form and try to mine some depth from Board, Brady, and the other UDFA and invites. Would have liked a higher priority placed on this depth, but we've seen Caldwell find Allen Hurns and Cole this way, so...

(05-07-2019, 12:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 12:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Watching those Chark highlights is encouraging. It's generally thought he's going to be out wide at the split-end spot possibly sharing time with Conley out there, so it was good to see that over half his reps in these clips came from the "x" position. I keep thinking about how much we can really use a dynamic #1 WR to take over this spot, but part of me is hopeful that Chark will eventually be that guy proving himself to be just as "dynamic" (a word Caldwell likes to use) as any other WR out there. 

The number of people writing him off has been silly to me. We saw so little of him and folks are somehow convinced he's just a guy. 

I think he's going to be a factor, and if Lee gets healthy and stays that way, I really think this whole receiving corps is going to prove a lot of haters wrong. 

A couple of the local radio guys have been herp derping on and on about it being possibly the worst WR group in the league. 
I think that's just stupid. What the group has is some question marks. (development and health) 
That shouldn't earn the group some "worst ranking" in May. 

I think it's a mid tier group that may not have a stud #1, but has good potential for very solid production. 
I tried to float this ^ theory to dozens of folks around here pre-draft that said we had to take a receiver early...  We see how that part of it went down. If I'm wrong about it, then this front office clearly is too. 

Westbrook/Lee/Chark/Conley/ looks pretty solid to me. They just have to figure out if Cole can get back to form and try to mine some depth from Board, Brady, and the other UDFA and invites. Would have liked a higher priority placed on this depth, but we've seen Caldwell find Allen Hurns and Cole this way, so...

I don't see how anything could be based off of last year since the quarterbacks were so bad.  As much as I am/was against the Foles signing, he should automatically increase the WR production at least some.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-07-2019, 01:09 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 12:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The number of people writing him off has been silly to me. We saw so little of him and folks are somehow convinced he's just a guy. 

I don't see how anything could be based off of last year since the quarterbacks were so bad.  As much as I am/was against the Foles signing, he should automatically increase the WR production at least some.

I've been saying this ^ since the Foles signing, but it's still not being widely accepted. 

Regardless - I think the best case scenario for this group is:
  •  Chark proving he can take the majority of the snaps from the X position.
  • Westbrook moving between Y and Z getting lots of snaps and targets
  • Cole earning snaps while Lee gets back to 100% early on - returning to 2017 form sharing Y/Z duties w/ Dede

That's the best case, IMO.  It's not an impossible scenario and it still leaves Lee able to line up anywhere when he's ready and Conley able to relieve Chark at the X.

Doug Baldwin just got released. Sign him today.

(05-11-2019, 07:06 PM)Trunt8728 Wrote: Doug Baldwin just got released. Sign him today.

Sign him to what? The IR list?

He got released because he couldn't pass a physical..

His body is broken. The reports of him possibly retiring due to injuries is real.

(05-11-2019, 07:06 PM)Trunt8728 Wrote: Doug Baldwin just got released. Sign him today.
Hahahaha

He's retiring dude. He's broken.