Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2019 WR/TE discussion (merged)

While I wouldn't rule out a vet coming in off the waiver wire, I think those wanting help at WR are probably stuck rooting for Conley and the competition between Cole and the undrafted guys. (Brady, Walker, Snelson)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-30-2019, 02:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Actually we are even worse because Moncreif is gone. Lee will be coming back from an injury so who knows what we will get from him. 

Westbrook should be primed for a breakout season but he’s not a WR1.

Chark is a guy that I don’t know what to think. Huge value in last years draft but didn’t really get many plays his way. And to Ben honest he dropped some balls.

Maybe our TE will be our passing focal point like Ertz up in Philly.

Idk

I was really disappointed in Moncrief last season.   While his overall numbers weren't horrible (48-668-3), I had hoped for much better.  Between his poor route running, lack of hustle and no desire to go up and fight for the ball, I'd say that we're better without him.  I'm not sure who steps up to be our go-to receiver (Westbrook seems like the best candidate), but it certainly wasn't Moncrief last year.

(05-13-2019, 10:48 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 02:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Actually we are even worse because Moncreif is gone. Lee will be coming back from an injury so who knows what we will get from him. 

Westbrook should be primed for a breakout season but he’s not a WR1.

Chark is a guy that I don’t know what to think. Huge value in last years draft but didn’t really get many plays his way. And to Ben honest he dropped some balls.

Maybe our TE will be our passing focal point like Ertz up in Philly.

Idk

I was really disappointed in Moncrief last season.   While his overall numbers weren't horrible (48-668-3), I had hoped for much better.  Between his poor route running, lack of hustle and no desire to go up and fight for the ball, I'd say that we're better without him.  I'm not sure who steps up to be our go-to receiver (Westbrook seems like the best candidate), but it certainly wasn't Moncrief last year.

Moncrief's route running was fine. He constantly got open which is why Bortles threw to him so much. It was his constant drops that were the problem.
'02

(05-14-2019, 06:06 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 10:48 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote: I was really disappointed in Moncrief last season.   While his overall numbers weren't horrible (48-668-3), I had hoped for much better.  Between his poor route running, lack of hustle and no desire to go up and fight for the ball, I'd say that we're better without him.  I'm not sure who steps up to be our go-to receiver (Westbrook seems like the best candidate), but it certainly wasn't Moncrief last year.

Moncrief's route running was fine. He constantly got open which is why Bortles threw to him so much. It was his constant drops that were the problem.

Constant drops?  I think you need to check the statistics.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-14-2019, 06:17 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 06:06 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Moncrief's route running was fine. He constantly got open which is why Bortles threw to him so much. It was his constant drops that were the problem.

Constant drops?  I think you need to check the statistics.

Let's see...

Targets: 90 (ranks #40)
Catchable Targets: 66
Receptions: 48 (ranks #49)
True catch rate: 72.7% (ranks #99)
'02

(05-14-2019, 06:51 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 06:17 AM)Rico Wrote: Constant drops?  I think you need to check the statistics.

Let's see...

4 drops.  Less than any Jaguars wide receiver.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Moncrief was an awful signing last year.

Really wish the Jags had kept ARob. (Incoming message from someone about ARobs stats that don’t truly reflect how good he is)

In all my years as a football fan, I have never gotten the impression that a receiver quit on routes the way I did when I watched Moncrief play.

It may not be fair for me to have that impression of him, but I do.

He has talent but has never seemed to put it all together.

While I want to wish him success I can't do so as long as he's a Steeler.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I reviewed LOTS of all 22 footage on Moncrief's incompletions last season.

Yeah. He gave up on routes.

Most of them were clearly uncatchable.
You'd like to see every receiver run those out anyway, and there were a small handful of plays when he gave up on catchable balls. (not good)
There were also a half dozen or so where he wasn't looking to get the ball.
(not good)
The vast majority of them however, were routine craptastic throws from Bortles and Moncrief saw it. While the beef with him is legitimate, it is WAY overblown in terms of the number of makeable catches he left out there.

He didn't relish contact on routes at all, if he got bumped early you could see him slow down and lose focus.

Probably a big reason why someone as athletic and explosive as him has never really put it together

(05-14-2019, 10:29 AM)JackCity Wrote: He didn't relish contact on routes at all, if he got bumped early you could see him slow down and lose focus.  

Probably a big reason why someone as athletic and explosive as him has never really put it together

Yeah. There were times he played through contact quite well, and plenty of others when he never regained his route and lost speed. 

All in all - they paid way too much for what they got, even if he did suffer a high number of errant throws.

(05-14-2019, 10:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 10:29 AM)JackCity Wrote: He didn't relish contact on routes at all, if he got bumped early you could see him slow down and lose focus.  

Yeah. There were times he played through contact quite well, and plenty of others when he never regained his route and lost speed. 

All in all - they paid way too much for what they got, even if he did suffer a high number of errant throws.

He's still amazingly only 25 years old, feels like he's been around forever

(05-14-2019, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 10:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. There were times he played through contact quite well, and plenty of others when he never regained his route and lost speed. 

He's still amazingly only 25 years old, feels like he's been around forever
He’s like those college basketball players who step on the court and you say “wait.... he’s still in college?!”

It's not easy to track the deep ball while running at full speed.  Moncrief was terrible at it.  And if you're a deep-speed receiver that can't track a long pass, you're pretty useless.
Can't wait to see the Steelers and Big Ben have to deal with it.

(05-14-2019, 10:55 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote: He's still amazingly only 25 years old, feels like he's been around forever
He’s like those college basketball players who step on the court and you say “wait.... he’s still in college?!”

That is how I felt about McNabb and Watson. They seemed like they were in college forever.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-11-2019, 07:06 PM)Trunt8728 Wrote: Doug Baldwin just got released. Sign him today.

He was released because he retired after multiple injuries. Spending time pursuing him seems...dumb.

(05-14-2019, 07:57 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 06:51 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Let's see...

4 drops.  Less than any Jaguars wide receiver.

It depends on how you define a drop. I'm seeing 5 drops by his name, so I'm not so sure where you got your stat, but drops in the stats only count if it was like in your hands and you just totally whiffed. If you were define a drop as a failure to receive a catchable pass, then he had 18. I noticed several passes that should have been caught that just had me shaking my head, and usually he was well open on those plays.
'02

(05-14-2019, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 07:57 AM)Rico Wrote: 4 drops.  Less than any Jaguars wide receiver.

It depends on how you define a drop. I'm seeing 5 drops by his name, so I'm not so sure where you got your stat, but drops in the stats only count if it was like in your hands and you just totally whiffed. If you were define a drop as a failure to receive a catchable pass, then he had 18. I noticed several passes that should have been caught that just had me shaking my head, and usually he was well open on those plays.

Where did you find your "catchable targets" stat? 

That's interesting. Never seen that before.

(05-14-2019, 10:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I reviewed LOTS of all 22 footage on Moncrief's incompletions last season.

Yeah. He gave up on routes.

Most of them were clearly uncatchable.
You'd like to see every receiver run those out anyway, and there were a  small handful of plays when he gave up on catchable balls. (not good)
There were also a half dozen or so where he wasn't looking to get the ball.
(not good)
The vast majority of them however, were routine craptastic throws from Bortles and Moncrief saw it. While the beef with him is legitimate, it is WAY overblown in terms of the number of makeable catches he left out there.

I'm showing 42 incompletions broken up as follows...
  • 24 targets that were errant passes
  • 13 catchable passes that he failed to come down with
  • 5 blatant drops

(05-14-2019, 04:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It depends on how you define a drop. I'm seeing 5 drops by his name, so I'm not so sure where you got your stat, but drops in the stats only count if it was like in your hands and you just totally whiffed. If you were define a drop as a failure to receive a catchable pass, then he had 18. I noticed several passes that should have been caught that just had me shaking my head, and usually he was well open on those plays.

I'll have to do some digging through my history. Hang on...
'02

(05-14-2019, 04:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 04:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It depends on how you define a drop. I'm seeing 5 drops by his name, so I'm not so sure where you got your stat, but drops in the stats only count if it was like in your hands and you just totally whiffed. If you were define a drop as a failure to receive a catchable pass, then he had 18. I noticed several passes that should have been caught that just had me shaking my head, and usually he was well open on those plays.

Look at the "catchable target rate" under "EFFICIENCY"...

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/donte-moncrief/
'02