Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue has been absent from offseason workouts

(05-02-2019, 01:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:30 PM)JNev Wrote: Getting Dareus, Campbell, and Lee off the books next year will be so critical to keeping Jalen, Yan, and Myles. Between the 3 of them is $40 million in cap savings. Yan and Jalen should get $20 mil each and the cap will go up each year too

If we pay Ramsey 5 mil more than the highest paid corner we will be in cap hell.  We could just franchise him

I don't think you know how the cap works if you think that would put us in cap hell

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 02:41 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-02-2019, 02:32 PM)JNev Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Just pay him?  The highest paid corner in the league is making 15 mil a year and we should just pay him 20 mil a year because hes worth it?  God no, that's how you get in cap hell, and no he isn't worth 20 mil a year.  He isn't prime, Champ, or Revis in their prime and last year he wasn't even a top 5 corner but we should pay him. 5 mil more than the highest paid corner? Oh boy.

Ah yes, the ol' "He's not a Top 3 CB in NFL history after THREE seasons, just let him go" argument. Maybe $20 million is a little much, but it'll be over $15m/year... The cap is steadily increasing and with it so should salaries.

How quickly we forget the days of Davon House, Derek Cox, and Dwayne Gratz
Well if you want to pay him 5 mil more than the highest paid corner in the league then he should be on par with those guys.   

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, "should be over 15 mil."   Is a lot different than just pay the guy 5 mil more than the highest paid corner after he has a down year.  

Im all for making him the highest paid corner in the league if he plays like it.  You dont do that just because one has potential.  If he plays like he did in 2017 then make him the highest paid but if he plays closer to like he did in 2018 then you franchise him and see what he can do the next year.   Gotta be smarter than that with the cap

(05-02-2019, 02:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If we pay Ramsey 5 mil more than the highest paid corner we will be in cap hell.  We could just franchise him

I don't think you know how the cap works if you think that would put us in cap hell

I know exactly how it works.   If you just pay players 5 mil more than the highest at their position when they havent earned it you will be in cap trouble much faster than you think

(05-02-2019, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:32 PM)JNev Wrote: Ah yes, the ol' "He's not a Top 3 CB in NFL history after THREE seasons, just let him go" argument. Maybe $20 million is a little much, but it'll be over $15m/year... The cap is steadily increasing and with it so should salaries.

How quickly we forget the days of Davon House, Derek Cox, and Dwayne Gratz
Well if you want to pay him 5 mil more than the highest paid corner in the league then he should be on par with those guys.   

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, "should be over 15 mil."   Is a lot different than just pay the guy 5 mil more than the highest paid corner after he has a down year.  

Im all for making him the highest paid corner in the league if he plays like it.  You dont do that just because one has potential.  If he plays like he did in 2017 then make him the highest paid but if he plays closer to like he did in 2018 then you franchise him and see what he can do the next year.   Gotta be smarter than that with the cap

(05-02-2019, 02:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: I don't think you know how the cap works if you think that would put us in cap hell

I know exactly how it works.   If you just pay players 5 mil more than the highest at their position when they havent earned it you will be in cap trouble much faster than you think

Name a team that went into cap hell solely due to setting the market on one of their young quality players..

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-02-2019, 02:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Ramsey should get a few mil less than 20M, Yannick should get a bit more than 20M. 40M combined is a fair estimate.

I think Ramsey ends up getting tagged. That said it really all depends on the type of year he has. He could ball out and earn the highest paid corner contract

Now that the draft is over....Florio has to talk about something...
Move along....nothing to see here.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Pay him now

(05-02-2019, 02:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Well if you want to pay him 5 mil more than the highest paid corner in the league then he should be on par with those guys.   

Name a team that went into cap hell solely due to setting the market on one of their young quality players..

Do teams even get into cap hell anymore?
Weren't the 2000 jaguars like the worst case ever?
Seems like the cap increases more year over year and teams are never as far behind as the Jags got.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-02-2019, 04:43 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 02:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: Name a team that went into cap hell solely due to setting the market on one of their young quality players..

Do teams even get into cap hell anymore?
Seems like the cap increases more year over year and teams are never as far behind as the Jags got.

nope, the cap is so malleable its pretty easy to move money around now. Nobody will end up like that Jags team again with how the system is now.

Yan does not deserve 20 mil a year. I'd call his bluff.

(05-02-2019, 05:29 PM)rocdee Wrote: Yan does not deserve 20 mil a year. I'd call his bluff.

Yannick does deserve 20 mil

Yannick needs to get PAID
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(05-02-2019, 05:29 PM)rocdee Wrote: Yan does not deserve 20 mil a year. I'd call his bluff.

He will easily get a contract atleast on par with Frank Clark.

(05-02-2019, 05:22 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 04:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: Do teams even get into cap hell anymore?

nope, the cap is so malleable its pretty easy to move money around now. Nobody will end up like that Jags team again with how the system is now.

Keep an eye on the Saints, they've been pushing money out like crazy for the last few years in the hope of extending their Brees window... It'll be fascinating to see what happens to them, if they don't have big problems then I think we can officially declare the concept of cap hell is dead.

This thread is Gold. Good, healthy debate in here. This should be pinned for review down the road. There's some cold hard truth's in here. And a lot of diehard fans not willing to accept it. And then there's the "Yo... it's v-o-l-u-n-t-a-r-y."

I am leaning in that direction. Relax. It's May. Not August. Not September. It'll be all good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-02-2019, 06:43 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 05:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: nope, the cap is so malleable its pretty easy to move money around now. Nobody will end up like that Jags team again with how the system is now.

Keep an eye on the Saints, they've been pushing money out like crazy for the last few years in the hope of extending their Brees window... It'll be fascinating to see what happens to them, if they don't have big problems then I think we can officially declare the concept of cap hell is dead.
The Saints main problem is drafting too many good players....

(05-02-2019, 01:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:30 PM)JNev Wrote: Getting Dareus, Campbell, and Lee off the books next year will be so critical to keeping Jalen, Yan, and Myles. Between the 3 of them is $40 million in cap savings. Yan and Jalen should get $20 mil each and the cap will go up each year too

If we pay Ramsey 5 mil more than the highest paid corner we will be in cap hell.  We could just franchise him

That's what you do with a player you don't want to keep around long-term. Ramsey is a generational talent (when he's actually allowed to play man), and you find ways to keep those.

(05-02-2019, 06:43 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Yep.

I'd be all good with Ngakoue getting a contract in line with Clark's tomorrow.  (if they could afford to do it)

(05-02-2019, 06:43 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

Oh my. Clark's cap hit next year is over $28 mil.
'02

(05-02-2019, 08:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 06:43 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: He will easily get a contract atleast on par with Frank Clark.

Yep.

I'd be all good with Ngakoue getting a contract in line with that Clark's tomorrow.  (if they could afford to do it)

Yup, Clark and Lawrence's contracts set the market. They wanted to wait to pay Ngakoue and now they have to pony up.. The longer they continue to wait to pay him, the more it's going to cost. Get the deal done already.

(05-02-2019, 08:59 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 06:43 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: He will easily get a contract atleast on par with Frank Clark.

Oh my. Clark's cap hit next year is over $28 mil.

And its $5 million this year. You can make it how you want it