Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do you guys feel about the FS position?

(06-15-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 06:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: It was one of Wash's last two media sessions (I'm thinking his last one), and Oesher was rather emphatic about saying he's reported all along that he expects Harrison to play FS. Oesher is not the type to expect something with good reason.

Wash talked about Harrison playing well near the line against the run. I never heard him say anything about him playing there “most of the time”

I went back and actually transcribed his last interview regarding Ronnie whom he starts out talking about. He doesn't actually say Ronnie has been in the box all the time like I was thinking, but it's real close to that. Here you go...

Quote:Wash: He’s done a very nice job for us. You can see he’s already more familiar with the package going into his second year, so we’re very encouraged [for] not only what he’s doing now, but [for] what his future is with the Jaguars.

Reporter: It seems like he’s been around the ball a lot. Are you seeing that when you evaluate [him]. Does he have the ability to be that kind of game changing playmaker for you back there?

Wash: We think he does. Obviously, he’ll continue to improve once we gets pads on and stuff like that, but he’s made a lot of plays on the ball; [he’s] got his hands on a lot of balls in the passing game. What he really does a nice job at is to fit out the run game. Obviously we’ve got a safety in the box most of the time. He’s got great instincts down there [and] can fit the run, so we’re very very excited about Ronnie.

Reporter: Was it a point of emphasis for him to get bigger, or was that just sort of natural with him? He [does] look a little stronger.

Wash: We have weights for him and stuff like that, but I think he’s just maturing too. There’s a couple of our young DBs who are about five pounds heavier than they ever have been, and I think it’s just ‘cause they’re maturing as men, so we’re not concerned. He’s moving well. That’s the most important thing as long as he can keep his movement. We can add twenty pounds to him and he could be a WILL backer maybe. <laughter>

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-05-2019, 01:31 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 07:11 AM)NH3 Wrote: Again, I see you but, I raise you. 

If Wilson is better than Harrison @ SS, how will the youngsters outplay Wilson @ FS? Are they that good?

I'm asking for my friends. Me, Myself and I. LMBO.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Your question confuses me.

My thinking is that Ronnie Harrison is the starting FS because they've idenfied that as the role they want him in. They know they want Harrison starting, and they've decided on FS for him. It's that simple in my mind.

So, in turn, that leaves Wilson pencilled in at SS with two UDFAs challenging him for the spot.

Knowing this, what's your question again?

Also, keep in mind that Z Woods runs something crazy fast. He'd blow Wilson away in a race, and I keep hearing a lot of good things about him. Almost as many good things as I've heard about "Thor."

I do see the point that you're making w/respect to Harrison being the FS. I'm just intrigued at the thought of an UDFA out performing Wilson for the SS position this early. Actually he was an UDFA as well but it took him a couple of years to mature.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-16-2019, 03:37 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wash talked about Harrison playing well near the line against the run. I never heard him say anything about him playing there “most of the time”

I went back and actually transcribed his last interview regarding Ronnie whom he starts out talking about. He doesn't actually say Ronnie has been in the box all the time like I was thinking, but it's real close to that. Here you go...

Quote:Wash: He’s done a very nice job for us. You can see he’s already more familiar with the package going into his second year, so we’re very encouraged [for] not only what he’s doing now, but [for] what his future is with the Jaguars.

Reporter: It seems like he’s been around the ball a lot. Are you seeing that when you evaluate [him]. Does he have the ability to be that kind of game changing playmaker for you back there?

Wash: We think he does. Obviously, he’ll continue to improve once we gets pads on and stuff like that, but he’s made a lot of plays on the ball; [he’s] got his hands on a lot of balls in the passing game. What he really does a nice job at is to fit out the run game. Obviously we’ve got a safety in the box most of the time. He’s got great instincts down there [and] can fit the run, so we’re very very excited about Ronnie.

Reporter: Was it a point of emphasis for him to get bigger, or was that just sort of natural with him? He [does] look a little stronger.

Wash: We have weights for him and stuff like that, but I think he’s just maturing too. There’s a couple of our young DBs who are about five pounds heavier than they ever have been, and I think it’s just ‘cause they’re maturing as men, so we’re not concerned. He’s moving well. That’s the most important thing as long as he can keep his movement. We can add twenty pounds to him and he could be a WILL backer maybe. <laughter>

Thanks for transcribing that. 

I had a different takeaway than you. 

I felt that Wash speaking about his playmaking ability in pass coverage and also then talking up his ability near the line speaks to Wash's intentions to use the safeties interchangeably. (though I don't claim that to be a certainty)

I really don't believe he was implying that Harrison would be in the box most of the time. Merely that the Jags scheme has one of the safeties there frequently.

Will be interesting to watch what happens there. I really hope we see them mix it up and keep QBs guessing at the safeties roles/assignments a bit.  I was also impressed with Harrison's coverage ability last year, so I don't really share much trepidation about him playing a little single high here and there.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019, 05:51 PM by JackCity.)

Read up on Wilson's play at Michigan a few weeks ago, although he went undrafted there was a lot of respect from his teammates and staff as the QB of the defense and making sure everyone was in the right spot.

So even though this is his 1st year starting, he may well be one of the most knowledgeable players on the entire defense about what we are trying to do.

(06-16-2019, 05:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: Read up on Wilson's play at Michigan a few weeks ago, although he went undrafted there was a lot of respect from his teammates and staff as the QB of the defense and making sure everyone was in the right spot.

So even though this is his 1st year starting, he may well be one of the most knowledgeable players on the entire defense about what we are trying to do.

I read a few scouting reports on him recently too. 

Seems like bad angles was the big gripe on him coming out, and it would appear he's benefitted from some NFL coaching in that regard since those reports. 

Having played nickel CB, SS, and FS at Michigan also lends some credence to the notion that they'll mix up responsibilities with he and Harrison.

The combination of Harrison and Wilson at the safety positions just may be lethal. I have that feeling and it's a good one. I will pay close attention to their communication or the lack of within the pre-season. My expectations are high for these gentlemen.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-16-2019, 05:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 05:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: Read up on Wilson's play at Michigan a few weeks ago, although he went undrafted there was a lot of respect from his teammates and staff as the QB of the defense and making sure everyone was in the right spot.

I read a few scouting reports on him recently too. 

Seems like bad angles was the big gripe on him coming out, and it would appear he's benefitted from some NFL coaching in that regard since those reports. 

Having played nickel CB, SS, and FS at Michigan also lends some credence to the notion that they'll mix up responsibilities with he and Harrison.

They probably figured Wilson can give us 70% of what Gip offers on the mental side of things. I mean he doesn't have crazy measurables or anything ,his brain is likely the #1 reason he is where he is right now. 

We should expect more blown coverages and miscommunications on the back end this year but that's to be expected. 

Still odd that Tre Boston is a FA

If he’s gonna blow coverages due to lack of talent, then I’d rather stick a dummy back there and let him do his thing with his talent alone.

(06-17-2019, 07:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If he’s gonna blow coverages due to lack of talent, then I’d rather stick a dummy back there and let him do his thing with his talent alone.

If...

You are talking about one poster's opinion.

The Jags clearly don't anticipate blown coverages from this duo or they wouldn't have entered minicamp last week with Harrison and Wilson at the top of the safety depth chart.  

It's equally possible that Harrison/Wilson turn out to be an upgrade to T-Gip/Church.