Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cody Kessler released

(05-09-2019, 01:49 PM)ATLjag Wrote: McGough, Lee, and Minshew....these look more like QB3 development types for 2019, instead of ones fighting to be the backup or QB2.   I am hoping they are able to pick up a better backup alternative somewhere down the line.  Maybe Minshew turns out better than I anticipate.

I rather an up and comer be the back up over a low ceiling veteran.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The team had an extended interview with Kessler, and they opted to part ways with him before they've had a glimpse of what Minshew will be capable of.

It would not shock me one bit to see them grab a veteran QB later, and let Minshew and Lee battle for the developmental title. Lee never rose to the level where he got on the field no matter how badly Kessler and Bortles played, so I think he's really more of a camp arm now as they allow Minshew to earn his spot. If he's really impressive, then they don't bother going after a vet. If he shows at least an aptitude for picking up the playbook and read an NFL defense, they may roll with him knowing that if anything happens to our new starter, he can hand the ball off as well as the next guy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The Front Office are making the correct moves we expect them to make! We are moving forward people!
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

Meh

I saw this coming and I Concur due to his lack of everything. I'm hoping that McGough will beat out Minshew and Lee for the back up position and Minshew is placed on the practice squad to be groomed.

NH3...
"AZANE"

After an abysmal 2018 season, the writing was on the wall. Kessler was destined to be the first QB cut of the ones we had left, post-draft.

(05-09-2019, 04:32 PM)NH3 Wrote: I saw this coming and I Concur due to his lack of everything. I'm hoping that McGough will beat out Minshew and Lee for the back up position and Minshew is placed on the practice squad to be groomed.

NH3...

I can't see Minshew lasting on the practice squad.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-09-2019, 12:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm slightly surprised they didn't carry Kessler into training camp, however, the second Minshew was drafted I was very confident he'd ultimately beat out Kessler. 

Yeah, this immediately seemed to be one of those courtesy moves, allow him to sign elsewhere, learn the playbook and use the preseason to earn a spot on someone's roster.

The FO is generally good about these kinds of moves, never hurts to tip the karma scales in your favor.

(05-09-2019, 02:14 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:49 PM)ATLjag Wrote: McGough, Lee, and Minshew....these look more like QB3 development types for 2019, instead of ones fighting to be the backup or QB2.   I am hoping they are able to pick up a better backup alternative somewhere down the line.  Maybe Minshew turns out better than I anticipate.

I rather an up and comer be the back up over a low ceiling veteran.

Agreed.  There's many ways to do the backup position, and with our record of striking out at veteran backup, might as well try it the other way.

(05-09-2019, 12:57 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:56 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: That's two draft picks wasted. The Cleveland Browns thank you for doing business with them.

The Browns off all teams. The flippin Browns, lol.

Dorsey is probably the best GM in football right now. He took advantage of Gettelman, even though they are supposedly good friends with Gettlelman probably thinking he got the better of the Beckham deal. He's also drafted well so far. Getting Greedy Williams in the second was excellent value this year, and of course selecting Mayfield looks brilliant. He's already head and shoulders above Darnold, Rosen, Allen, et al. I was a Browns fan in the '80s before my parents are from Cleveland. I wish they or the Jags were in the NFC so I wouldn't have a conflict of rooting interest.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Here's the thing, man (to quote "The Dude")... if Foles goes down for more than one game or two, the season is lost. There just isn't any veteran QB out there waiting patiently on his tractor to save the day. Thus, it's better to tank for Tua in that scenario.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-11-2019, 10:57 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

Here's the thing, man (to quote "The Dude")... if Foles goes down for more than one game or two, the season is lost. There just isn't any veteran QB out there waiting patiently on his tractor to save the day. Thus, it's better to tank for Tua in that scenario.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a loss. After all, we still have what should be an elite defense and a power running game as long as Minshew can manage the offense.
'02

(05-11-2019, 11:17 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 10:57 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Here's the thing, man (to quote "The Dude")... if Foles goes down for more than one game or two, the season is lost. There just isn't any veteran QB out there waiting patiently on his tractor to save the day. Thus, it's better to tank for Tua in that scenario.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a loss. After all, we still have what should be an elite defense and a power running game as long as Minshew can manage the offense.
Managing the offense is a lot of ask of a 6th round rookie.

(05-11-2019, 04:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 11:17 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I wouldn't necessarily say it's a loss. After all, we still have what should be an elite defense and a power running game as long as Minshew can manage the offense.
Managing the offense is a lot of ask of a 6th round rookie.

True, but with the Jaguars run game he mostly just has to hand off.
'02

(05-11-2019, 04:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Managing the offense is a lot of ask of a 6th round rookie.

Had to chuckle, remembering the fate of a certain 6th round rookie.

Anyway, the Jags have had no-names like Rob Johnson, Jay Fiedler, and David Garrard step in when their starting QBs went down, and it seemed to work out better than when they asked veterans to do the heavy lifting (except for that Brunell guy).  6th round is a bit late, but if he wins the job, why the hell not?

But I thought Kessler throws a lovely spiral and that's all that was missing from the offence?

People trying to spin the win against Colts as good play by Kessler was probably the low point in desperation on this board

(05-12-2019, 04:31 AM)lastonealive Wrote: But I thought Kessler throws a lovely spiral and that's all that was missing from the offence?

People trying to spin the win against Colts as good play by Kessler was probably the low point in desperation on this board
Still missing the point I see.

(05-12-2019, 04:31 AM)lastonealive Wrote: But I thought Kessler throws a lovely spiral and that's all that was missing from the offence

Yeah.
No one ever said that. 

People wanted to see anything but the struggling starter. 
Happens to a number of teams every single season. 
Certainly not a new concept to jags fans.

And the search continues...
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2019, 02:33 PM by AmeliaFL.)

Hi, Jaguars fans. Twitter is trending that while the Jaguars already have Nick Foles, Cody Kessler signed a free agent contract with Foles former team, the Eagles, to compete at their training camp for the backup QB role behind first-stringer and incumbent Carson Wentz.