Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

(05-14-2019, 01:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So you wouldnt take millions of dollars a year to play a season in the NFL.  You at least get your signing bonus guaranteed.  I'll take 9 million and play until injury stops me from ever playing again.  I mean, maybe this is why ppl complain about Sports salaries because i think ANYone who likes said sport will step on that field asap for millions of dollars a year.  One season with a brain for non sports money making and you're set.
You're completely missing the point.

I never said I wouldn't trade places with the guy because we all know playing a sport for a job is pretty sweet. However this is about empathy for someone. You're trying to treat this guy like he's not a human being. Do athletes suffer from depression? Have they committed suicide even though they have millions and millions of dollars? Have they had their families broken up through divorce? Of course they have and there's a human side to this that people are neglecting. I don't know what I would do in Telvins situation BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON. 

And you think if you played one season of football you would be set? hahaha look up the average practice squad players salary. The majority of these guys break their bodies for 3 seasons, making 100 or 200K (before taxes) and then they sit pretty up in their mansions? No.

I am never going to complain about professional sports salaries because they are doing something only a small percentage of humans can do. Sometimes they should be paid even more. Do you know how much the NFL makes? How about how much college basketball and football make? Do you think they're getting a fair share of the profits?

Condemning this man by saying "What a loser. I would play football for that kind of money no matter what was going on in my life" is just wrong. No one knows the facts of this situation but sure are quick to make judgements.

Exactly.

Losing your brother mid season must be awful and he kept playing. How do you guys think his mother is doing since losing one of her kids? and you expect Telvin to not give a s...? He already has a ton of money, I think most people would do the same Telvin is doing if they already have good money.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He did look kinda lean in that video he posted (also maybe 420).

At this point it no longer matters. He made his decision. The team will eventually make their decision. They possibly already have by drafting Josh Allen & Quincy Williams along with all of the players they picked up at the LB position in general this off season.

I hope the best for Telvin. Whether that's here. On another team. Or if he decides to never come back and play again.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(05-14-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So you wouldnt take millions of dollars a year to play a season in the NFL.  You at least get your signing bonus guaranteed.  I'll take 9 million and play until injury stops me from ever playing again.  I mean, maybe this is why ppl complain about Sports salaries because i think ANYone who likes said sport will step on that field asap for millions of dollars a year.  One season with a brain for non sports money making and you're set.

I never said I wouldn't trade places with the guy because we all know playing a sport for a job is pretty sweet. However this is about empathy for someone. You're trying to treat this guy like he's not a human being. Do athletes suffer from depression? Have they committed suicide even though they have millions and millions of dollars? Have they had their families broken up through divorce? Of course they have and there's a human side to this that people are neglecting. I don't know what I would do in Telvins situation BECAUSE NO ONE KNOWS WHAT'S GOING ON. 

And you think if you played one season of football you would be set? hahaha look up the average practice squad players salary. The majority of these guys break their bodies for 3 seasons, making 100 or 200K (before taxes) and then they sit pretty up in their mansions? No.

I am never going to complain about professional sports salaries because they are doing something only a small percentage of humans can do. Sometimes they should be paid even more. Do you know how much the NFL makes? How about how much college basketball and football make? Do you think they're getting a fair share of the profits?

Condemning this man by saying "What a loser. I would play football for that kind of money no matter what was going on in my life" is just wrong. No one knows the facts of this situation but sure are quick to make judgements.
To answer your question about compensation, players definitely deserve to be paid more according to what the overall league is bringing in as a whole.  If he is going through personal issues then cool.  I can empathize with him being unsure about his future and needing to take some time.  What i cant agree with is him not notifying his employer of his thoughts and final decision until a post on social media said as much.  I have family that have played professionally and i know it takes a toll on them but we are all people.  Not telling your employer that can help you and that also pays you to be able to have the life you live is wrong.  You can take it how you want but thats my opinion.  

To the practice squad comment FBT, hilarious.  I play QB and dont think practice would be hard at all, if im in shape and eating right, working out.  Point is, If i was paid the money HE is right now, i would still think its wrong to just walk out last minute and not say anything beforehand.  Thats actually how horrible things happen to people with mental issues like depression if we are truly concerned for his well being.  Not seeking help, doing things in secret when there are plenty of others that can offer help is definitely a horrible decision unless its not even that serious to begin with.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(05-14-2019, 07:39 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-13-2019, 01:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: My source is telling me Telvin is done with football.

My source is telling me that Telvin was done with football when he decided it was a good idea to weigh as much as a wide receiver.

(05-14-2019, 02:27 PM)uthill Wrote: He did look kinda lean in that video he posted (also maybe 420).

I thought the same thing. No way he can play at his current weight.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

/Applauds

Very well said.

(05-14-2019, 02:04 PM)FBT Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 12:06 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Hopefully the organization can get some compensation for this. He just got a long-term deal. I think the team itself will be fine without him for the season. The player on the field took a noticeable step back last season. Still a solid starter but not anything irreplaceable. I hope someone can step up.

I'm assuming that if he's not receiving a game check, the team, at a minimum, retains that cap hit for his salary.  They can also go after a portion of the guaranteed money he has received.   The team will get some cap relief from this as long as he doesn't change his mind and decide to play.

It's a tricky situation. If a player opts to retire early the team can certainly go after a portion of the guaranteed money, however, if he merely takes a year off allowing the future years of his contract to forward one year, then that's an entirely different situation because there's still an intent to play out the contract.

I'm not sure the years forward, in this case, should he go on NFI as it may be they can recoup his base salary for games missed... but I'm thinking the remaining contract years forward if he's out the entire year because that's what happens when a player is suspended an entire year.
'02

(05-14-2019, 04:53 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 02:04 PM)FBT Wrote: I'm assuming that if he's not receiving a game check, the team, at a minimum, retains that cap hit for his salary.  They can also go after a portion of the guaranteed money he has received.   The team will get some cap relief from this as long as he doesn't change his mind and decide to play.

It's a tricky situation. If a player opts to retire early the team can certainly go after a portion of the guaranteed money, however, if he merely takes a year off allowing the future years of his contract to forward one year, then that's an entirely different situation because there's still an intent to play out the contract.

I'm not sure the years forward, in this case, should he go on NFI as it may be they can recoup his base salary for games missed... but I'm thinking the remaining contract years forward if he's out the entire year because that's what happens when a player is suspended an entire year.

if he chooses not to play this year it voids the remaining guarantees no?

(05-15-2019, 02:55 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-14-2019, 04:53 PM)Jags02 Wrote: It's a tricky situation. If a player opts to retire early the team can certainly go after a portion of the guaranteed money, however, if he merely takes a year off allowing the future years of his contract to forward one year, then that's an entirely different situation because there's still an intent to play out the contract.

if he chooses not to play this year it voids the remaining guarantees no?
[Image: newreply.phpfavicon.ico]

The last of his guaranteed money is $5 mil of his base salary this year should he remain on the roster as of March 17th, which he did. If his years forward like they would if suspended for the year, then the money would be freed up against the cap this year and would instead count next year. If they don't forward, however, and it becomes a matter of recouping money for the season, they should then be able to recoup non-guaranteed salary for games he misses, but that $5 mil might still have to be paid. This is an interesting question for someone more in the know than I.

Keep in mind that if he goes on NFI, the rules are the exact same as PUP aside from one key difference. The difference is that NFI allows teams to hold back salary for weeks missed while on NFI whereas players on PUP get their full pay.
'02

(05-15-2019, 04:30 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 02:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: if he chooses not to play this year it voids the remaining guarantees no?
[Image: newreply.phpfavicon.ico]

The last of his guaranteed money is $5 of his base salary this year should he remain on the roster as of March 17th, which he did. If his years forward like they would if suspended for the year, then the money would be freed up against the cap this year and would instead count next year. If they don't forward, however, and it becomes a matter of recouping money for the season, they should then be able to recoup non-guaranteed salary for games he misses, but that $5 mil might still have to be paid. This is an interesting question for someone more in the know than I.

Keep in mind that if he goes on NFI, the rules are the exact same as PUP aside from one key difference. The difference is that NFI allows teams to hold back salary for weeks missed while on NFI whereas players on PUP get their full pay.

The $5 million guaranteed on 3/17 made this whole ordeal very intriguing to me.  You have to assume employers paying that kind of money would have language in the deal that if the employee opts not to perform, then he forfeits the guarantees.  If that language isn’t standard in nfl contracts it needs to be.  If it is standard and our front office opted not to put it in there, someone should be fired for it.  I do think NFL media would have reported by now on if the above worst case scenario we’re actually the case, so I’ll assume it isn’t.

Does anyone know if Telvin is actually going through something or we just assuming it?

(05-16-2019, 09:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Does anyone know if Telvin is actually going through something or we just assuming it?

It's 2019. People love making excuses for quitters.

(05-16-2019, 09:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Does anyone know if Telvin is actually going through something or we just assuming it?

Considering he would have made almost 10 mil if he played this year, I think it is safe to say he is going through something.

What he is going through we can only assume, but people don't walk away from 10 mil over nothing.

(05-16-2019, 11:41 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

You’re a piece of work dude.

Who’s making excuses for him?

(05-16-2019, 11:41 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

So if anything comes out down the road that he or his family is dealing with a major problem, you'll be the first to rescind your negativity, right?  RIGHT?

Telvin is not the reason anyone (exception maybe his parents) bought season tix. The team isn't going 0-16 because Telvin needs to address whatever is going on without the distraction of practice, training, gameday, travel, or whatever else led him to this decision. Why the vitriol?

(05-17-2019, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 11:41 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It's 2019. People love making excuses for quitters.

So if anything comes out down the road that he or his family is dealing with a major problem, you'll be the first to rescind your negativity, right?  RIGHT?

Telvin is not the reason anyone (exception maybe his parents) bought season tix. The team isn't going 0-16 because Telvin needs to address whatever is going on without the distraction of practice, training, gameday, travel, or whatever else led him to this decision. Why the vitriol?
I can give you one guess but it would most likely move this thread to a different forum.....

(05-17-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 08:54 AM)Mikey Wrote: So if anything comes out down the road that he or his family is dealing with a major problem, you'll be the first to rescind your negativity, right?  RIGHT?

I can give you one guess but it would most likely move this thread to a different forum.....

And what is your guess? Since you mentioned a "different forum", I assume you are somehow implying I am a racist based solely on the point that I question the legitimacy of Telvin Smith's "problems". 

Talk about vitriol.

the team isn't going 0-16 nor will they go 16-0 either. Jags already have toughest schedule in nfl as usal. at this time i see 4-12,again i reserve my rights to change that prediction after the 3rd pre-season game is played. teams will run all over our defense though for sure. even with telvin in last season we couldn't stop the run espaissley againest a top star RB like tittians hennry. Maybe i'll be wrong,and we end up stopping the run this year,im not counting on it though. we will see.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 01:50 PM by Cleatwood.)

(05-18-2019, 07:57 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I can give you one guess but it would most likely move this thread to a different forum.....

And what is your guess? Since you mentioned a "different forum", I assume you are somehow implying I am a racist based solely on the point that I question the legitimacy of Telvin Smith's "problems". 

Talk about vitriol.
Hahahaha a racist?! How did you jump to that conclusion? 

Have mercy.

Telvin taking time off for personal reasons is no issue.

But the way it has been addressed or handled certainly raises some eyebrows.

Why wait until after that gtd money hit? Why wait until after the draft to tell anyone? Why wasn't he in contact with the team.

Yadda yadda.

To us, it shouldn't really matter that much. We watch. We don't pay. We don't play.
But anyone should be free to have their opinion on how he handled it or whether he should or shouldn't be "stepping away".

I kinda think he got paid, and quit.

Time will tell if I'm being an [BLEEP] about it. But seems like he got his payday, and losing isn't fun.
Also... fans are critical, and he didn't like it. He seemed to have a certain arrogance in the media last season... IDK what's going on with him, but he should just be an afterthought for us fans. We should be worried about who is here and the guys that want to be here.

Best wishes to him... we're on to the Jaguars season. And as far as I'm concerned, he ain't a Jag this year.