Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Probable Camp Battles

Bored again and battling a cold, so here's a guess at roster spots that are up for grabs to the best camp performers. 

Obviously the roster will continue to evolve in the 2 months between now and mid July when Training Camp officially begins. But based on what we know now...

#5 Receiver 
Don't know if they keep 5 or 6 and how comfortable they are using starters in return duty. But if we assume Lee, Westbrook, Chark and Conley are locks, then our battle looks to be between:
Keelan Cole, Tyre Brady, Michael Walker, Dedrick Snelson and Raphael Leonard.

9th OL
Again, not sure exactly how many they keep, but the seemingly final spot looks to be shaping up as a battle between:
Jordan Agasiva, Bunchy Stallings, Donelle Greene, McDermott, Ogbuehi, Brandon Thomas

4th TE  (maybe 5th in an H-Back role)
This one is weird because it seems DeFilippo has been trying to bring in guys that can play a FB/H-Back hybrid role, so maybe that's the fourth spot, or maybe they keep 5. 
Leading candidate for the H-Back spot seems to be the undrafted Charles Jones II if they go that route. 
Others fighting behind the assumed 3 locks (Oliver, Swaim, O'Shaugnessy) are: McKever, Colubiale and Koyack

QB #2 
 Tanner Lee, Alex McGough, Gardner Minshew

RB#3 and #4
 Cunningham, Blue, Rawls, and I expect a waiver wire addition or two eventually 

defense

DE depth
Drafting Allen didn't leave much room here.  I imagine Smoot, McCray and Bouman will fight for one spot.

DT depth
 Assuming Dareus , Bryan and Jones are locks, we'll see these guys vying for a spot:
Ankou, Russell, Clark, Hughes, Young, Andrew Williams 

LB
 This one is a mess until we know how they are approaching Myles Jack (mike or will?)
Lots of bodies and probably not enough of them that are startable at will for comfort unless the 3rd rounder gets ready fast
Not going to list them all until we see a clearer picture

#4 and #5 CB
Meeks and Herndon should have some competition from: 
Saivion Smith, Marquez Sanford, Picasso Nelson, Brandon Watson, Breon Borders , Jocquez Kalili and Tae Hayes

Safety depth
 After Harrison and Wilson, it looks pretty open for:
Reavis, Davis, Wingard, Woods and Moon to battle for two spots

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-12-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bored again and battling a cold, so here's a guess at roster spots that are up for grabs to the best camp performers. 

Obviously the roster will continue to evolve in the 2 months between now and mid July when Training Camp officially begins. But based on what we know now...

#5 Receiver 
Don't know if they keep 5 or 6 and how comfortable they are using starters in return duty. But if we assume Lee, Westbrook, Chark and Conley are locks, then our battle looks to be between:

9th OL
Again, not sure exactly how many they keep, but the seemingly final spot looks to be shaping up as a battle between:
Jordan Agasiva, Bunchy Stallings, Donelle Greene, McDermott, Ogbuehi, Brandon Thomas

This one is weird because it seems DeFilippo has been trying to bring in guys that can play a FB/H-Back hybrid role, so maybe that's the fourth spot, or maybe they keep 5. 
Leading candidate for the H-Back spot seems to be the undrafted Charles Jones II if they go that route. 
Others fighting behind the assumed 3 locks (Oliver, Swaim, O'Shaugnessy) are: McKever and Koyack

QB #2 

RB#3 and #4

defense

DE depth
Drafting Allen didn't leave much room here.  I imagine Smoot, McCray and Bouman will fight for one spot.

DT depth
 Assuming Dareus , Bryan and Jones are locks, we'll see these guys vying for a spot:

LB
 This one is a mess until we know how they are approaching Myles Jack (mike or will?)
Lots of bodies and probably not enough of them that are startable at will for comfort unless the 3rd rounder gets ready fast

#4 and #5 CB
Saivion Smith, Marquez Sanford, Picasso Nelson, Brandon Watson, Breon Borders , Jocquez Kalili and Tae Hayes

Safety depth

First off, feel better.  Warm weather colds suck.

5th WR?  I think Lee starts the season on PUP.  The two favorites are Cole and Walker.  Cole because he has experience and has produced at a good level before.  Walker has a chance to stick because of punt return ability.

9th OL-To me the two favorites are Greene and Stallings.  Greene because he can provide cheap and quality depth at T, and Stallings because of his run blocking and ability to pull.  I believe we will employ more screen passes this year, and the ability to get on the edge will give him an edge.

4th TE?  I'm surprised Koyack is still on the roster.  I don't think he holds on to his roster spot this year.

Backup QB?  I would hope we have a better backup than this group.  I would have preferred Kessler to Lee, to be honest.  Right now, Minshew is my pick, and he will be a popular guy here.

RB 3 & 4-if you assume 3 RBs are kept, I think the edge will go to the best change of pace back between Rawls and Cunningham (my guess is Rawls).  If four, I think Cunningham has an edge due to special teams.  I like Blue, but I'm not sure he has a spot.

DE?  No there isn't much room.  I think it boils down to what the team wants more, better run defense or better pass rush.  If it's run defense, Smoot has the edge.  If it's pass rush, then McCray wins the spot.

LB-If healthy, I think Ryan is the Mike, Jack is the Will and depending on the situation, either Jacobs or Allen is the Sam.

CB-Saivion Smith will provide some strong competition for the guys like Meeks and Herndon at the bottom of the depth chart at that position.  I like both Meeks and Herndon, but they have their hands full.  Speaking of hands, Meeks will have to catch the INTs he dropped last preseason to avoid being cut.  I still say a move to FS might be better for him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-12-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bored again and battling a cold, so here's a guess at roster spots that are up for grabs to the best camp performers. 

#5 Receiver 

I highly doubt we keep 6 from this group, and at this point I feel like the 6th guy will be Michael Walker. Of course this is going to be the talk of camp so any one of these guys could emerge as that 5th guy. If Walker does make it, you know he'll be at least one of the primary return guys.

9th OL

Rooting for Agasiva here, but may the best man win the spot.

Others fighting behind the assumed 3 locks (Oliver, Swaim, O'Shaugnessy) are: McKever, Colubiale  and Koyack

Koyack isn't just giving up his post, but if one of these other names can flat beat him out, that's a very good thing.

QB #2 

I don't even see this as a battle. Give it to Minshew. Lee and McGough are fighting to see which one is the scout QB on the PS.

RB#3 and #4

We've talked about this at length. My basic take has been that the two former 3rd downs RBs, Cunningham and Blue, are vying for the 3rd downs RB role, and then after that's decided I see one additional RB for depth. Cunningham is not much of a rusher so it's essential for him to beat out Blue for the 3rd downs role if he's to make the roster. Blue, on the other hand, would still have a shot at that 4th RB spot if he can beat out Rawls. I'm surprised they don't have more competition for that 4th RB spot.

defense

DE depth

DT depth

I figure two guys make it on the DL including at least one DT... In other words, a DE and a DT or two DTs.

LB

I'm still working on sorting these guys out in that LB thread. It's like 8 guys fighting for probably 2 spots.

#4 and #5 CB

Safety depth

I feel like Davis is safe as the 3rd S, and then the other four are fighting for the last spot. I really don't see Reavis sticking around.

'02

Unless lee starts the year on the pup i dont see us keeping a 6th WR. I do think they keep a 4th TE that will moonlight as a Fullback/H-Back.

As far as RB ppl are forgetting David Williams, played well down the stretch as a rookie, can catch and is a different style runner from LF27 and Rock Armstead. I see Rawls, Cunningham, & Blue fighting for one spot with 3rd down ability and more importantly SPECIAL TEAMS being the main thing that lets them stick on this roster.

If Smoot doesnt make the roster (i think hell make it and be inactive on game day theoughout the season) then theyll stash him on IR with some trumped up injury. You dont just give up on a guy with that kind of size and raw ability, i dont think hea gottwn the snaps needed to develop but given the talwnt in front of him it makes sense hes a sub.

Also cody davis was waived/injured today, picked up an injury at rookie minicamp, damn shame thought he was the favorite for backup safety.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(Williams was released last week)

(05-13-2019, 01:01 PM)Firesky Wrote: ...

As far as RB ppl are forgetting David Williams, played well down the stretch as a rookie, can catch and is a different style runner from LF27 and Rock Armstead. I see Rawls, Cunningham, & Blue fighting for one spot with 3rd down ability and more importantly SPECIAL TEAMS being the main thing that lets them stick on this roster.
Also cody davis was waived/injured today, picked up an injury at rookie minicamp, damn shame thought he was the favorite for backup safety.

Williams was released. 

Veteran safety Cody Davis is still on the roster.  The injured release you are referring to was former AAF DB, Cody Brown. 
(Don't be surprised if Brown is back on our reserve list if he clears waivers.)

Minshew is lock as a backup unless he somehow has a Major meltdown in preseason. Lee doesn't belong in NFL.

I think they will move Jack back to Will and it will be battle between Ryan and Williams for Mike.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(05-13-2019, 01:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Williams was released. 

Veteran safety Cody Davis is still on the roster.  The injured release you are referring to was former AAF DB, Cody Brown. 

Thanks for the update! Can't believe I didn't see that :/ That's kind of a shock to me tbh, he played really well last year in limited action. Surprised they just gave up on him (or Rock Armstead is head and shoulders better).
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(05-13-2019, 01:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Williams was released. 

Thanks for clarifying the Cody Brown release. When I read that Cody Davis was injured and released, I gasped, but then I read at the rookie camp and it didn't make any sense. I thought to myself there's no way they'd just release him as thin as we are at S. 
'02

I reserve my opinions of who's going to be on the 53-Man Roster until after I see the newbies practice and play within the pre-season. I just know that they'll be a surprise or two w/respect to such an good UDFA crop.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

The reason I don’t pick camp battles anymore is because as soon as cuts are done, we start grabbing guys off the scrap heap that I’ve never heard of.

(05-12-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: ....

LB

#4 and #5 CB

Safety depth

Wash just talked about this ^ stuff a bit in his pre practice presser. 

He said:
 - starting a rookie at Will LB is not something they'll shy away from if Quincy is ready. 

- Jack has progressed w/ his understanding of the LB scheme in the run game. Adapting to being a leader in that meeting room. 

- Herndon (nickel) and Meeks (outside) are still the standout backups at CB.

- Reavis and Davis are still the primary backup safeties but Wingard and Woods are both absorbing the scheme quickly. 

- With Ngakoue and Allen not doing drills, Smoot has taken advantage of his additional opportunities.

With the potential absence of Telvin on the field, I do envision Williams being on the field as an replacement.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I miss the days of camp battles like Chris Hanson and Gransfors Bruks.
Signature goes here.

(05-12-2019, 06:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: #5 Receiver 
Keelan Cole, Tyre Brady, Michael Walker, Dedrick Snelson and Raphael Leonard. (also CJ Board)

[font=proxima-nova-bold, sans-serif]ESPN's Mike DiRocco said Chris Conley has been the Jaguars best wide receiver during OTAs and minicamp.[/font]

DiRocco goes as far as saying, "The Jaguars don't have a clear No. 1 receiver, but with Marqise Lee not expected to return from a knee injury until several weeks into training camp it could be Conley." A Donte Moncrief replacement, Conley reportedly has chemistry with Nick Foles and is working his way into a starting job. 

rotoworld via DiRoc  ^