Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags' Campbell, Jack support Telvin Smith's decision

(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

Using your analogy...

He bought a ticket to a movie that promised to have certain stars - the stars are not as promised.

Well, the Jaguars made no such promise, but that wasn't the point. The focus was on the word investment, something one hopes yields a return beyond initial expenditure. Buying a product and then considering your consumption of it a return is silly.

So no, Hurricane's season tickets are not an investment in anything.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

Using your analogy...

He bought a ticket to a movie that promised to have certain stars - the stars are not as promised.

Yes, if I bought a ticket for a movie and Tom Cruise was under contract to act in that movie then yes, I'd be pissed if Jagsfan4life9/28/82 turned out to be the lead actor in that movie.

Please see the definition of investment -- it is the correct word.  I invested money in my season tickets for a material result.  

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN
    investments (plural noun)

1. the action or process of investing money for profit or material result.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 05:18 PM by americus 2.0.)

This went sideways real fast.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 06:00 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-17-2019, 05:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: This went sideways real fast.

By definition, I'd have to say this went downhill real fast Smile

In all reality, there are 3 other threads related to the same subject matter; one consisting of 11 pages of discussion.  So I really don't see why we needed another thread on Telvin.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM by Predator.)

(05-17-2019, 04:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Using your analogy...

Yes, if I bought a ticket for a movie and Tom Cruise was under contract to act in that movie then yes, I'd be pissed if Jagsfan4life9/28/82 turned out to be the lead actor in that movie.

Please see the definition of investment -- it is the correct word.  I invested money in my season tickets for a material result.  

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN

No player is guaranteed to still be on a roster opening day. It's been that way since the beginning of the NFL. If you made that assumption when making your "investment" then it's your own stupid fault.

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN

Nope, you're still wrong. Not every purchase is an investment. That includes yours. You just want to use that word to justify your vertical position on the fainting couch. You should read this....

https://www.gainplanners.com/insights/ni...d-purchase

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 06:06 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-17-2019, 06:00 PM)Predator Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 04:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yes, if I bought a ticket for a movie and Tom Cruise was under contract to act in that movie then yes, I'd be pissed if Jagsfan4life9/28/82 turned out to be the lead actor in that movie.

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN

No player is guaranteed to still be on the roster opening day. It's been that way since the beginning of the NFL. If you made that assumption when making your "investment" then it's your own stupid fault.

I did make that assumption.  I also made the assumption that housing prices in PVB would go up as would the stock market when I invested heavily in both 25 years ago.  I guess I need to take my losses along with a few of my wins.  Just didn't realize one of my losses would be a result of one of our most passionate players quitting on the team.  Personally, I don't like losing, regardless of how material or immaterial the loss may be.

(05-17-2019, 06:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 06:00 PM)Predator Wrote: No player is guaranteed to still be on the roster opening day. It's been that way since the beginning of the NFL. If you made that assumption when making your "investment" then it's your own stupid fault.

I did make that assumption.  I also made the assumption that housing prices in PVB would go up as would the stock market when I invested heavily in both 25 years ago.  I guess I need to take my losses along with a few of my wins.  Just didn't realize one of my losses would be a result of one of our most passionate players quitting on the team.

This isn't the housing or stock market. This is the NFL. The jags had multiple players under contract that won't be suiting up for us next season. Many a passionate players leave NFL teams every year. You would have thought in 25 years you would have figured that out by now.

If you made your "investment" based on who you want on the team, which you have had zero control over the last 25 years, then you are a pretty foolish investor.

(05-17-2019, 06:19 PM)Predator Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 06:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I did make that assumption.  I also made the assumption that housing prices in PVB would go up as would the stock market when I invested heavily in both 25 years ago.  I guess I need to take my losses along with a few of my wins.  Just didn't realize one of my losses would be a result of one of our most passionate players quitting on the team.

This isn't the housing or stock market. This is the NFL. The jags had multiple players under contract that won't be suiting up for us next season. Many a passionate players leave NFL teams every year. You would have thought in 25 years you would have figured that out by now.

If you made your "investment" based on who you want on the team, which you have had zero control over the last 25 years, then you are a pretty foolish investor.

[Image: giphy.gif]

If Montana can end up in Kansas City. If Favre can end up in Minnesota. If Manning can end up in Denver. If Unitas can end up in San Diego. And if Dan Marino can go out with a 62 - 7 defeat in Jacksonville to end his career. Nobody is safe in the NFL on any team. Now we just need Belichick to trade Brady away at some point to a team and it'll be the perfect example.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 10:30 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-17-2019, 06:19 PM)Predator Wrote: If you made your "investment" based on who you want on the team, which you have had zero control over the last 25 years, then you are a pretty foolish investor.

Yes, my investment was based on the key players under contract, or equivalents (e.g. trade).  
My investment in my homes in PVB and Sarasota were based on anticipated appreciation resulting from the baby boomers relocating from the northeast
My investment in the market (including 401k) was based on anticipated Dow,Nasdaq, and S&P 500 increases over the years.

I wouldn't say that I'm a foolish investor given the above (after all Trump did lose a millions of dollars on some investments and is reportedly still worth over $3 billion), but perhaps my most "immaterial" investment won't reap the rewards that I was seeking.

(05-18-2019, 05:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote: If Montana can end up in Kansas City. If Favre can end up in Minnesota. If Manning can end up in Denver. If Unitas can end up in San Diego. 

They all had replaceable equivalents (S. Young, A. Rodgers, A. Luck) to offset their loss in talent which benefited their investors in the short and long term.  We may be replacing Telvin with Quincy Williams which presents unanticipated risk to my investment.

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 02:12 PM by americus 2.0.)

(05-17-2019, 05:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 05:18 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: This went sideways real fast.

By definition, I'd have to say this went downhill real fast Smile

In all reality, there are 3 other threads related to the same subject matter; one consisting of 11 pages of discussion.  So I really don't see why we needed another thread on Telvin.

Big Grin  True enough.

And yeah, a lot of people seem to have opinions. I stated mine and let it go.

Ok. And now, Let's Move On- Shall we?
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(05-17-2019, 03:32 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:

Well, the Jaguars made no such promise, but that wasn't the point. The focus was on the word investment, something one hopes yields a return beyond initial expenditure. Buying a product and then considering your consumption of it a return is silly.

So no, Hurricane's season tickets are not an investment in anything.

@I thought the darft was gonna make us better tho!@

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN

this, however, is pre-recorded, and would be an issue of truth in advertisement.

a better parallel would be the theater - you purchase seats to watch a play, with a cast of characters scheduled. If one of the stars is unavailable, they do not cancel the play, the understudy jumps in, and the show goes on.

When you buy season tix, you buy a seat in a stadium to see players in one uniform/helmet compete against other players in a uniform/helmet. You are paying for the right to get in the door and watch the game, not to see any particular player.

Do you expect a refund if you attend a late-season game where one of the teams rests their starters to prepare for the playoffs? good luck with that.

(05-20-2019, 09:07 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 04:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Yes, if I bought a ticket for a movie and Tom Cruise was under contract to act in that movie then yes, I'd be pissed if Jagsfan4life9/28/82 turned out to be the lead actor in that movie.

1. in·vest·ment
    [inˈves(t)mənt]

NOUN

this, however, is pre-recorded, and would be an issue of truth in advertisement.

a better parallel would be the theater - you purchase seats to watch a play, with a cast of characters scheduled. If one of the stars is unavailable, they do not cancel the play, the understudy jumps in, and the show goes on.

When you buy season tix, you buy a seat in a stadium to see players in one uniform/helmet compete against other players in a uniform/helmet. You are paying for the right to get in the door and watch the game, not to see any particular player.

Do you expect a refund if you attend a late-season game where one of the teams rests their starters to prepare for the playoffs? good luck with that.

Good Analogy regarding the theater.   

Personally, I really believe that the Jags Front Office, upon reading this thread, will be reaching out to me to offer me an equitable adjustment (i.e. discount) to my season ticket prices to compensate me for the consequential damages that I have suffered as a result of Telvin's decision.

After consulting my Jaguars ticketing agent, I've been informed that while the team potentially may or may not suffer a speed-bump in performance at the weak side linebacker position, the offset provided by the addition of a quarterback capable of throwing a consistent spiral will be resulting in a 10% increase in price to all season ticket holders.

(05-20-2019, 10:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: After consulting my Jaguars ticketing agent, I've been informed that while the team potentially may or may not suffer a speed-bump in performance at the weak side linebacker position, the offset provided by the addition of a quarterback capable of throwing a consistent spiral will be resulting in a 10% increase in price to all season ticket holders.

@we all know who to blame for this@