Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags' Campbell, Jack support Telvin Smith's decision

I think we're just beating a dead horse. This has the tell-tale signs of a young man with a mental health crisis. If that is so, then his taking time off is completely legitimate. It's not being soft. It's not bad character. It's a real condition that doesn't get clear up in a couple of weeks. A less likely scenario is a substance abuse problem. That is also a mental health crisis, but with a complicating volitional factor. Regardless, it's a real condition that needs to be addressed. The only legitimate reason fans would have to be upset with him is if he were to simply being thin skinned about criticism over his fall-off in play last year. At that point we could say, "Suck it up, buttercup."

Additionally, he should absolutely be forthcoming with the organization. Not to do so for any of the above reasons is inexcusable.

Other than that, I wish him well and hope things get sorted for him.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He was likely coddled his whole life, including by FSU which didn't help. Then come trade rumors and the fact the Jags drafted a LB in the 3rd rounds -- now, he's taking his ball and going home.

He's Soft

(05-16-2019, 09:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He was likely coddled his whole life, including by FSU which didn't help.  Then come trade rumors and the fact the Jags drafted a LB in the 3rd rounds -- now, he's taking his ball and going home.

He's Soft

LOL

You should probably investigate the area he's from in Valdosta before talking out of your [BLEEP]

Of all the ways to come at this negatively, this may be the most poorly informed version to date.

(05-16-2019, 09:29 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He was likely coddled his whole life, including by FSU which didn't help.  Then come trade rumors and the fact the Jags drafted a LB in the 3rd rounds -- now, he's taking his ball and going home.

He's Soft

You literally no idea what is going on in his head. I love when everyone has this holier than thou approach when it comes to Telvin.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

At this point, he's gotta be trolling...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-16-2019, 12:43 PM)Dimson Wrote:

He's Soft

You literally no idea what is going on in his head. I love when everyone has this holier than thou approach when it comes to Telvin.

Your comment is not intellectually correct.  Your response to my post associates my position as "holier than thou" which is really the opposite since I'm calling for Telvin to get his lame [BLEEP] back on the field.  The "holier than thou" position would correlate with someone supporting his decision to spend time with his family and disputing our (less sensitive) position on the subject matter.

(05-15-2019, 03:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 02:57 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: As I have said before, I think this whole "Telvin Smith drama" has been blown way out of proportion.  The man wants to take the year off to take care of himself as well as his family.  The fans, the team, the game, the money... that's not what is important to him right now and I respect that.  It looks to me that what is most important to him is himself and his family.  There is nothing wrong with that.

So, if someone invests heavily in you,  and you sign a contract committing to provide the contractual services, it's ok to just walk away?

If that's ok, then I hope Nick Foles, Calais Campbell, Jaylen Ramsey, and Fournette all decide to do the same thing this year since it's ok to do so.  I mean, what's it really matter.  It's just a game.  Screw the investors.

You haven't invested anything in him so I don't get your concern about that.  Also, in my mind he is doing the right thing by taking care of himself and his family first.

He's Soft

Your comment is so juvenile that it's not even worth debating.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-16-2019, 04:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 03:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: So, if someone invests heavily in you,  and you sign a contract committing to provide the contractual services, it's ok to just walk away?

If that's ok, then I hope Nick Foles, Calais Campbell, Jaylen Ramsey, and Fournette all decide to do the same thing this year since it's ok to do so.  I mean, what's it really matter.  It's just a game.  Screw the investors.

You haven't invested anything in him so I don't get your concern about that.  Also, in my mind he is doing the right thing by taking care of himself and his family first.

Every single Season Ticket Holder has an investment in every player that has a contract with the Jaguars.  

(05-16-2019, 04:51 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-16-2019, 04:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You haven't invested anything in him so I don't get your concern about that.  Also, in my mind he is doing the right thing by taking care of himself and his family first.

Every single Season Ticket Holder has an investment in every player that has a contract with the Jaguars.  

Sorry bud that’s not how it works.

The only investment/right you have is a guaranteed assigned seat for 9 home games. Anything else is pure fandom.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 04:25 AM by Predator.)

(05-16-2019, 04:04 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You haven't invested anything in him so I don't get your concern about that.  Also, in my mind he is doing the right thing by taking care of himself and his family first.

Just because you pay a season ticket you think you have the right to dictate someone's life?

Get the [BLEEP] over yourself.

In reality his is saving you and every fan from the angst of having to watch someone on the field go through the motions because their head is no longer in the game.

Look folks. It's really simple.Telvin may have a very good reason to not play football this year. He has no reason or excuse to not communicate that issue with his employer.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(05-17-2019, 07:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Look folks. It's really simple.Telvin may have a very good reason to not play football this year. He has no reason or excuse to not communicate that issue with his employer.

My take as well. 

I give him the benefit of doubt with personal concerns until/unless I know otherwise.

I don't excuse the unprofessional lack of communication.

(05-16-2019, 12:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

He's Soft

LOL

You should probably investigate the area he's from in Valdosta before talking out of your [BLEEP]

Of all the ways to come at this negatively, this may be the most poorly informed version to date.

Where he grew up doesn't make him mentally or emotionally tough.

They're all emotionally frail because of crappy upbringing.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 11:14 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(05-17-2019, 03:33 AM)knarnn Wrote:

Sorry bud that’s not how it works.

The only investment/right you have is a guaranteed assigned seat for 9 home games. Anything else is pure fandom.

I didn't say right.  I stated investment.  They don't have the same meaning and should not be used interchangeably.

(05-17-2019, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 03:33 AM)knarnn Wrote: Sorry bud that’s not how it works.

I didn't say right.  I stated investment.  They don't have the same meaning and should not be used interchangeably.

Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

(05-17-2019, 07:13 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Look folks. It's really simple.Telvin may have a very good reason to not play football this year. He has no reason or excuse to not communicate that issue with his employer.

I agree with this. He doesn't owe the fans anything but he does owe the front office some kind of communication since the team's the one that's made the investment.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I didn't say right.  I stated investment.  They don't have the same meaning and should not be used interchangeably.

Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

Using your analogy...

He bought a ticket to a movie that promised to have certain stars - the stars are not as promised.

(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

Using your analogy...

He bought a ticket to a movie that promised to have certain stars - the stars are not as promised.
Card subject to change.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-17-2019, 02:47 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Using your analogy...

Card subject to change.

Yep, not agreeing, just playing a bit of Devil's Advocate.

(05-17-2019, 02:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 02:24 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Technically, investment isn't the right word, either. You've simply agreed to a purchase price of a product meant for viewing. That I bought a ticket to watch a movie at a theater in no way means I have invested in it.

Using your analogy...

The analogy is completely flawed to begin with.  The original statement was "Every single Season Ticket Holder has an investment in every player that has a contract with the Jaguars."  That's a ridiculous assertion.  Does that mean that because I buy a ticket with the intention of seeing a specific player, that the team can't trade/bench/cut that player?  Or that each player (or the team) needs to keep all ticket holders updated on their status for every game?  I think we're all going way too far with all of this.  Yes, Telvin has every right to step away to address whatever issues he's dealing with - and yes he should communicate with his employer to let them know - although if he does that prior to mandatory events, he may feel that's sufficient since he hasn't really missed any of those.  Either way, I don't see him returning to the Jaguars for the upcoming season or even after that, I'm sure the team is tired of only hearing from him based on reading his Instagram posts, when he's obviously facing some type of issue.