Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Analyst to GM trend

Mike Mayock went from a draft analyst for NFL Network to GM of the Raiders.

Daniel Jeremiah is apparently following in those footsteps by becoming the Jets GM.

Are we noticing a new trend?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll give them credit for at least trying something different. The entire NFL power structure is very incestual, and I'm not convinced a lot of people couldn't do a better job if everyone involved in the NFL management suddenly disappeared and they were forced to bring in truly new blood.

I'm sure it will be a trend, though DJ is merely "being considered" for the Jets job at this point.

The NFL is in the business of entertainment. Blending tv talking heads/analysts with the front office of franchises isn't terribly far fetched all things considered.

The bigger question is whether hey will have enough success for it to continue the "trend."

(05-15-2019, 01:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Mike Mayock went from a draft analyst for NFL Network to GM of the Raiders.

Daniel Jeremiah is apparently following in those footsteps by becoming the Jets GM.

How are GM's usually picked.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Well, we’ve seen GMs become TV analysts, and a lot of analysts have front office experience, so it makes sense.

(05-15-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 01:06 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Mike Mayock went from a draft analyst for NFL Network to GM of the Raiders.

How are GM's usually picked.

Former scouts/coaches/players/administrators.

DJ has a background in scouting, and served in that role for roughly a decade, IIRC. That's a little different than Mayock, who had zero background in scouting before joining NFLN.

(05-15-2019, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: How are GM's usually picked.

Former scouts/coaches/players/administrators.

Thanx.  I figured it was a scouting/coach thing, but havent really paid enough attention to give any opinion.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Why is Mel Kiper being overlooked?  Wink

(05-15-2019, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Why is Mel Kiper being overlooked?  Wink

He wouldn't take the pay cut to be a NFL GM.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-15-2019, 03:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Why is Mel Kiper being overlooked?  Wink

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/25...r-a-legend

(05-15-2019, 05:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/25...r-a-legend

I remember that draft. It was one of the most entertaining drafts on record. The back and forth between Kiper and Tobin was hilarious!

(05-15-2019, 02:23 PM)TJBender Wrote:

DJ has a background in scouting, and served in that role for roughly a decade, IIRC. That's a little different than Mayock, who had zero background in scouting before joining NFLN.
THIS

Jeremiah was a starting QB at Northeastern Louisiana in 1997 and Appalachian State from 1998 to 2000. He was a college scout with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, and Philadelphia Eagles

Mayock has been a talking head, albeit a pretty good one, but nothing more.
He was barely a player at the pro level.

"trend" lol
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Well, we saw a move like this years ago, when former Pro Bowl LB and TV analyst matt millen got hired as Detroit Lions' GM.

That did NOT turn out well for the Lions.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Not a surprise. As some have already pointed out. DJ has a history of scouting. When the NFL starts targeting guys like Scott Wright, Walter Football personnel and PFF personnel THAT's when I would be more intrigued.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-17-2019, 10:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Not a surprise. As some have already pointed out. DJ has a history of scouting. When the NFL starts targeting guys like Scott Wright, Walter Football personnel and PFF personnel THAT's when I would be more intrigued.

Mike Florio hired as GM of the Cincinnati Bengals.

(05-17-2019, 12:55 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 10:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Not a surprise. As some have already pointed out. DJ has a history of scouting. When the NFL starts targeting guys like Scott Wright, Walter Football personnel and PFF personnel THAT's when I would be more intrigued.

Mike Florio hired as GM of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Traitor. He's been a Vikings fan his entire life. No more SKOL! for him.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Seems like you'd want them tested at a lower level before giving them the reins.

I'd be hesitant believing they put in all the hours necessary to accurately assess these players instead of just copying the opinions of others. There's a reason we have 19 people on our scouting team. The analysts aren't putting in the work of 19 people, but they certainly present themselves as such.

Also, how long as Greg Jones been a scout? That's new to me.

(05-17-2019, 03:00 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Seems like you'd want them tested at a lower level before giving them the reins.

I'd be hesitant believing they put in all the hours necessary to accurately assess these players instead of just copying the opinions of others. There's a reason we have 19 people on our scouting team. The analysts aren't putting in the work of 19 people, but they certainly present themselves as such.

Also, how long as Greg Jones been a scout? That's new to me.

Greg Jones is a scout? Like... Bazooka Arms from FSU Greg Jones, Greg Jones?