Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jimmy Smith 291

I finally got a chance as an adult to go back and watch this game. Jimmy Smith obliterated the best defense ever, the 2000 Ravens defense.

I wanted to point something out. In the 3rd quarter with around 12 minutes to go, Duane Starks switched over because Jimmy was killing MCAllister...anyway Brunell drops back and launches a deep throw up the right sideline and Jimmy had a step on Starks, at the last minute Starks jumps to go for the pick but he missed it.

If Jimmy comes down with that ball then the receiving record is all his. He would stand alone at the top because the Jags were on the 15 yard line, coming out. Oh by the way, there was nothing but green grass in front of him.

Had he caught it we would be talking about him have 4 TDs and 376 yards receiving,,,,against arguably the best defense ever. 

I know this topic gets brought up every couple of years, but if you haven’t watched the highlights then your missing a treat.

Search 2000 ravens vs jaguars and you’ll find what your looking for.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I remember bits and pieces of that game. The most memorable moment, at least I think it was in that game was when McCardell had a tipped pass I think? And Jimmy caught it off the rebound and said adios!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Jimmy was an amazing receiver during his prime. I still consider him the most dominant offensive player in their history, with Freddy T. a close second. I'm glad that he appears to have his addiction under control as he was not only a great player, but a good guy.

If it weren't for the whole nose candy thing I think he would heavily be considered for the Hall of Fame. Jimmy had that speed that scared every DB he went against.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-18-2019, 06:56 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

Too bad all of that was in a loss. That was the Jags first loss to them. They were10-0 against them before that. That was an odd game. The Ravens' offense was terrible that year, but they put up tons of points that day. Seemed like more than they did the rest of the year. Didn't they go five straight games without an offensive TD, including the second game against us?

Yes they went a long time without a TD. They also came back to beat us from a 17 point deficit.

Howard and Mack couldn’t hang on to the ball.

Side Note: Safety Reyna Stewart had 2 ints that game.

(05-18-2019, 06:45 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: If it weren't for the whole nose candy thing I think he would heavily be considered for the Hall of Fame.   Jimmy had that speed that scared every DB he went against.

Probably, but Jimmy's overall lack of TDs would count against him as well. After catching the ball, Jimmy would angle himself toward the sideline instead of looking to score.
'02

(05-18-2019, 11:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 06:45 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: If it weren't for the whole nose candy thing I think he would heavily be considered for the Hall of Fame.   Jimmy had that speed that scared every DB he went against.

Probably, but Jimmy's overall lack of TDs would count against him as well. After catching the ball, Jimmy would angle himself toward the sideline instead of looking to score.

You are correct. But that was because Jimmy and Mark were so good at the timing stuff. Jimmy was a top notch route runner and he perfected the 10 yard out.

He also perfected the fade route.

People say Mark was average but I don’t agree with that. Mark could throw the ball 67,68 yards. He was also very consistent with the fade and out routes. 

I watched the QB Competition from 1997 and Mark placed 4th overall. Testaverde actually won it. Brunell best out some great QBs in that event. 

Sorry I got off topic, but yeah Jimmy never scored more than 8 TDs in a season.

(05-19-2019, 07:52 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 11:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Probably, but Jimmy's overall lack of TDs would count against him as well. After catching the ball, Jimmy would angle himself toward the sideline instead of looking to score.

You are correct. But that was because Jimmy and Mark were so good at the timing stuff. Jimmy was a top notch route runner and he perfected the 10 yard out.

He also perfected the fade route.

People say Mark was average but I don’t agree with that. Mark could throw the ball 67,68 yards. He was also very consistent with the fade and out routes. 

I watched the QB Competition from 1997 and Mark placed 4th overall. Testaverde actually won it. Brunell best out some great QBs in that event. 

Sorry I got off topic, but yeah Jimmy never scored more than 8 TDs in a season.

I'm with you on Brunell. While he did have his limitations, Mark had a great pocket presence, he'd make defenders pay for blitzing, and he was one of the best at converting 3rd and long. I recall time after time Brunell facing something like a 3rd and 15, and he'd nail the pass. Brunell also really did have a strong arm. I don't mean necessarily mean he could throw the farthest, but Brunell would have out-benched most QBs in league history. 
'02

I had the great fortune to attend that game. I was living in Norfolk at the time and that was the one game I could see in person that season. It didn't really occur to me sitting in the stands the kinds of numbers he put up until the end when they flashed the stats.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(05-20-2019, 12:39 PM)Deacon Wrote: I had the great fortune to attend that game. I was living in Norfolk at the time and that was the one game I could see in person that season. It didn't really occur to me sitting in the stands the kinds of numbers he put up until the end when they flashed the stats.

I know extents your talking about. Every game I go to, I never know the stats until the show it or announce it.