Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dungy on Foles

I remember in 2017 Fournette was literally pushing piles. Toward the end of the year the wear and tear combined with injuries slowed him down.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah as he has come down clutch for Eagles. Hope he can do that to the Jaguars.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(05-22-2019, 10:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most teams don't have a legit #1 receiver. And the TE's don't have to replicate Ertz and Burton. They just have to be effective in helping move chains. 

Having Foles and DeFilippo doesn't mean the Jags have to take the exact same path to the post-season offensively the eagles took. 
This defense is going to make it easy for them several weeks as well. How many weeks in 2019 do you think the Jags will only need 20-23 points to win?  8?, 9?, 10 maybe? They'll hold many opponents to beatable scores.

I still have concerns with this defense personally. It could go 50/50 this year and the defense could end up slipping outside of being a top ten unit. It's historically typical for this franchise. Just when the offense starts to look good on paper the defense that held them up for a few years starts to dwindle. We never seem to hit all three aspects of the game at the right time. 

I have concerns with the potential heartburn of losing Telvin Smith and Malik Jackson this year when you consider that Myles Jack if left inside will have a tough job of keeping two potential rookies in check with their assignments. 

Taven Bryan has to step up big time this year to fill the void alongside Marcell Dareus. Campbell and Ngakoue have to stay healthy for obvious reasons. And if we lose Bouye at any point or Ramsey at any point it's going to shift a lot of pressure onto Wilson and Harrison to overcompensate. All of a sudden you might need more than 24 points to win a football game if these youngins on defense start blowing assignments and finger pointing.

Let's keep it positive by saying that we released our safeties for a reason that reflected their play or the lack of. Taven, when relocated to his natural position has already shown signs of improvement to say the least. Also I expect Ramsey and Bouye to have another stellar year at their positions. Barring injuries our defense will continue to hold it down while the offense picks it up. That's the formula for success.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2019, 08:50 AM by Caldrac.)

Usually I am pretty upbeat. There's going to be growing pains on defense this year. It's just the nature of inexperience and fresh faces out on the field. You'll get really good splash plays and then you'll get face palm plays more times than not. And I can honestly live with that. Provided this offense takes the field under Foles' leadership and starts to look somewhat more consistent and dependable.

I'll say it's safe to say there's only going up from here. Fair enough.But there's always some type of trade off.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-24-2019, 08:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Usually I am pretty upbeat. There's going to be growing pains on defense this year. It's just the nature of inexperience and fresh faces out on the field. You'll get really good splash plays and then you'll get face palm plays more times than not. And I can honestly live with that. Provided this offense takes the field under Foles' leadership and starts to look somewhat more consistent and dependable.

I'll say it's safe to say there's only going up from here. Fair enough.But there's always some type of trade off.

I was excited about the defense coming into the year, but there are a couple of things that have served to dampen it.

First was the news regarding Telvin Smith.

next was the injury suffered by Josh Allen.  The Jaguars have said it's a bruised knee and nothing, yet Allen will miss the remainder of the OTAs. 

After that, was the news that Telvin's presumed replacement, rookie LB Quincy Williams, was taken off the field today in a golf cart (which may or may not have been serious per Searcy).

Finally, one of the 1010 XL talking heads added perspective this morning, noting that between the two starting safeties (Harrison and Wilson), there are less than ten (10) combined starts.  Considering how important S is to our scheme, it is something of a concern.

I sincerely hope all of these things are all minor in the overall scheme of things football wise.  Hopefully, Smith is well and up for a return next year (if not sooner), Allen and Williams are healthy and will be perfectly healthy by training camp, and Wilson and Harrison (more concerned about Wilson) will fit seamlessly into the defense and provide superlative coverage and tackling in a level of player equal to if not greater than their immediate predecessors.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(05-24-2019, 08:15 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 10:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I still have concerns with this defense personally. It could go 50/50 this year and the defense could end up slipping outside of being a top ten unit. It's historically typical for this franchise. Just when the offense starts to look good on paper the defense that held them up for a few years starts to dwindle. We never seem to hit all three aspects of the game at the right time. 

I have concerns with the potential heartburn of losing Telvin Smith and Malik Jackson this year when you consider that Myles Jack if left inside will have a tough job of keeping two potential rookies in check with their assignments. 

Taven Bryan has to step up big time this year to fill the void alongside Marcell Dareus. Campbell and Ngakoue have to stay healthy for obvious reasons. And if we lose Bouye at any point or Ramsey at any point it's going to shift a lot of pressure onto Wilson and Harrison to overcompensate. All of a sudden you might need more than 24 points to win a football game if these youngins on defense start blowing assignments and finger pointing.

Let's keep it positive by saying that we released our safeties for a reason that reflected their play or the lack of. Taven, when relocated to his natural position has already shown signs of improvement to say the least. Also I expect Ramsey and Bouye to have another stellar year at their positions. Barring injuries our defense will continue to hold it down while the offense picks it up. That's the formula for success.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Injuries are definitely a huge concern until we see how solid our depth is this year.  I'm not really worried about Malik being gone.  Good guy.  Rock solid player.  But, how much longer could that last at his position?  We needed to get younger/cheaper somewhere.  He was always expected to be a sacrificial lamb.

I tend to agree with you that the defense will be somewhat different, but still strong enough to hold it down for the team.  I think Foles landed in a pretty good spot here thanks to the defense.  As long as Leonard doesn't stay stuck in a 2018 mentality, and we see improved play with the receivers/TEs, and we can stabilize the line, the offense has the potential to really make some strides.  I think he's good enough to elevate the players around him, and as long as we don't end up in a similar injury situation as we did last year, Dungy's analysis could be prophetic.

(05-28-2019, 03:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 08:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Usually I am pretty upbeat. There's going to be growing pains on defense this year. It's just the nature of inexperience and fresh faces out on the field. You'll get really good splash plays and then you'll get face palm plays more times than not. And I can honestly live with that. Provided this offense takes the field under Foles' leadership and starts to look somewhat more consistent and dependable.

I was excited about the defense coming into the year, but there are a couple of things that have served to dampen it.

next was the injury suffered by Josh Allen.  The Jaguars have said it's a bruised knee and nothing, yet Allen will miss the remainder of the OTAs. 

After that, was the news that Telvin's presumed replacement, rookie LB Quincy Williams, was taken off the field today in a golf cart (which may or may not have been serious per Searcy).

Finally, one of the 1010 XL talking heads added perspective this morning, noting that between the two starting safeties (Harrison and Wilson), there are less than ten (10) combined starts.  Considering how important S is to our scheme, it is something of a concern.

I sincerely hope all of these things are all minor in the overall scheme of things football wise.  Hopefully, Smith is well and up for a return next year (if not sooner), Allen and Williams are healthy and will be perfectly healthy by training camp, and Wilson and Harrison (more concerned about Wilson) will fit seamlessly into the defense and provide superlative coverage and tackling in a level of player equal to if not greater than their immediate predecessors.

The Telvin thing is a hit, but at the end of the day, the defense has enough talent to address his missing the season.  

I'm not going to get to worked up over a player riding off in a golf cart.  The heat has been ridiculous the past few days.  Odds are it was heat realated, and Quincy Williams will be fine.  The last time a local radio guy reported an injury like that on air, it turned out to be the player needed to drop a deuce and didn't want to go into the port-o-let.  Talking head speculation was off the charts. The fact that nobody is talking about any potential injuries in the local media is a good sign. Of course, they're all focused on Foles missing the practice for personal reasons. Maybe they really didn't even notice. I guess we'll see when they take the field for the next session.

I'm really not concerned about the Allen injury.  Would you rather see him suffer an injury like we've seen previously with our first rounder that causes him to miss his rookie season?  Or, is it better to bubble wrap the guy for voluntary practices.  Personally, I think the guy needs to bury himself in the playbook, attend all of the meetings, and give his body a break.  These draft picks tend to wear out pretty quickly their rookie year because they never really get a chance to break from football due to the combine, private workouts, and doing the dog and pony show for the draft.  I think the team wants to avoid a minor injury becoming a problem, and I'm perfectly fine with that.  Training camp is adequate time for him to get football ready.

If there was a legitimate concern about the level of play for the starting safeties, the team probably would have pursued one of the free agents that were available to them.  I guess we're going to have to trust their process.  It's certainly something to be a little worried about, but this defense is so talented that I'm sure they'll make it work.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(05-28-2019, 05:09 PM)FBT Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 08:15 AM)NH3 Wrote: Let's keep it positive by saying that we released our safeties for a reason that reflected their play or the lack of. Taven, when relocated to his natural position has already shown signs of improvement to say the least. Also I expect Ramsey and Bouye to have another stellar year at their positions. Barring injuries our defense will continue to hold it down while the offense picks it up. That's the formula for success.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Injuries are definitely a huge concern until we see how solid our depth is this year.  I'm not really worried about Malik being gone.  Good guy.  Rock solid player.  But, how much longer could that last at his position?  We needed to get younger/cheaper somewhere.  He was always expected to be a sacrificial lamb.

I tend to agree with you that the defense will be somewhat different, but still strong enough to hold it down for the team.  I think Foles landed in a pretty good spot here thanks to the defense.  As long as Leonard doesn't stay stuck in a 2018 mentality, and we see improved play with the receivers/TEs, and we can stabilize the line, the offense has the potential to really make some strides.  I think he's good enough to elevate the players around him, and as long as we don't end up in a similar injury situation as we did last year, Dungy's analysis could be prophetic.

(05-28-2019, 03:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was excited about the defense coming into the year, but there are a couple of things that have served to dampen it.

The Telvin thing is a hit, but at the end of the day, the defense has enough talent to address his missing the season.  

I'm not going to get to worked up over a player riding off in a golf cart.  The heat has been ridiculous the past few days.  Odds are it was heat realated, and Quincy Williams will be fine.  The last time a local radio guy reported an injury like that on air, it turned out to be the player needed to drop a deuce and didn't want to go into the port-o-let.  Talking head speculation was off the charts.  The fact that nobody is talking about any potential injuries in the local media is a good sign.  Of course, they're all focused on Foles missing the practice for personal reasons.  Maybe they really didn't even notice.  I guess we'll see when they take the field for the next session.

I'm really not concerned about the Allen injury.  Would you rather see him suffer an injury like we've seen previously with our first rounder that causes him to miss his rookie season?  Or, is it better to bubble wrap the guy for voluntary practices.  Personally, I think the guy needs to bury himself in the playbook, attend all of the meetings, and give his body a break.  These draft picks tend to wear out pretty quickly their rookie year because they never really get a chance to break from football due to the combine, private workouts, and doing the dog and pony show for the draft.  I think the team wants to avoid a minor injury becoming a problem, and I'm perfectly fine with that.  Training camp is adequate time for him to get football ready.

If there was a legitimate concern about the level of play for the starting safeties, the team probably would have pursued one of the free agents that were available to them.  I guess we're going to have to trust their process.  It's certainly something to be a little worried about, but this defense is so talented that I'm sure they'll make it work.

I agree.  It's May and way hotter than normal.  I usually can handle heat pretty well and at my age I feel that I'm in reasonable shape (not an athlete by any means).  This past couple of days I have had to "knock it off" and get inside to the air conditioning,... even after drinking plenty of water and Gatorade as well as snacking on cold fruit.

If there were any major injuries I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-28-2019, 07:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 05:09 PM)FBT Wrote: Injuries are definitely a huge concern until we see how solid our depth is this year.  I'm not really worried about Malik being gone.  Good guy.  Rock solid player.  But, how much longer could that last at his position?  We needed to get younger/cheaper somewhere.  He was always expected to be a sacrificial lamb.

I'm not going to get to worked up over a player riding off in a golf cart.  The heat has been ridiculous the past few days.  Odds are it was heat realated, and Quincy Williams will be fine.  The last time a local radio guy reported an injury like that on air, it turned out to be the player needed to drop a deuce and didn't want to go into the port-o-let.  Talking head speculation was off the charts.  The fact that nobody is talking about any potential injuries in the local media is a good sign.  Of course, they're all focused on Foles missing the practice for personal reasons.  Maybe they really didn't even notice.  I guess we'll see when they take the field for the next session.

I agree.  It's May and way hotter than normal.  I usually can handle heat pretty well and at my age I feel that I'm in reasonable shape (not an athlete by any means).  This past couple of days I have had to "knock it off" and get inside to the air conditioning,... even after drinking plenty of water and Gatorade as well as snacking on cold fruit.

If there were any major injuries I'm sure we would have heard something by now.
Dude... you ain't lying about that heat. I downplay it a lot around my dad when we fish at my age of 31 but he's not [BLEEP] me at his age of 52. And he's worked in this [BLEEP] his whole life since moving here back in the 70s.

And he's as strong as an Ox. So it's HOT when he [BLEEP] about it. I did yardwork on Sunday around 200 in the afternoon after fishing all morning on an empty stomach and my body said "Uhhhh... NOPE! Better catch some water right now son and get a quick 76 degrees breeze on you in the house".

Whew. I finished the yard. But damn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-28-2019, 05:09 PM)FBT Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 03:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was excited about the defense coming into the year, but there are a couple of things that have served to dampen it.

1.  The Telvin thing is a hit, but at the end of the day, the defense has enough talent to address his missing the season.  

2.  I'm not going to get to worked up over a player riding off in a golf cart.  The heat has been ridiculous the past few days.  Odds are it was heat realated, and Quincy Williams will be fine.  The last time a local radio guy reported an injury like that on air, it turned out to be the player needed to drop a deuce and didn't want to go into the port-o-let.  Talking head speculation was off the charts.  The fact that nobody is talking about any potential injuries in the local media is a good sign.  Of course, they're all focused on Foles missing the practice for personal reasons.  Maybe they really didn't even notice.  I guess we'll see when they take the field for the next session.

3.  I'm really not concerned about the Allen injury.  Would you rather see him suffer an injury like we've seen previously with our first rounder that causes him to miss his rookie season?  Or, is it better to bubble wrap the guy for voluntary practices.  Personally, I think the guy needs to bury himself in the playbook, attend all of the meetings, and give his body a break.  These draft picks tend to wear out pretty quickly their rookie year because they never really get a chance to break from football due to the combine, private workouts, and doing the dog and pony show for the draft.  I think the team wants to avoid a minor injury becoming a problem, and I'm perfectly fine with that.  Training camp is adequate time for him to get football ready.

4.  If there was a legitimate concern about the level of play for the starting safeties, the team probably would have pursued one of the free agents that were available to them.  I guess we're going to have to trust their process.  It's certainly something to be a little worried about, but this defense is so talented that I'm sure they'll make it work.
(Numbering added)

1 & 2.  Though I am concerned about Telvin's spot, I think we can get by at a decent level this year, especially if the clips we saw of Williams is a true indicia of his NFL ability and he is healthy.

3.  Given the two extremes, I'd rather he be in bubble wrap.  But there's a whole lot of territory in between.  In the bigger scheme of things, it probably isn't much to worry about.  But what can I say?  I'm still scarred from Fowler's rookie year injury. Before then, I wouldn't have given the Allen or Williams things another thought.

4.  To clarify, I am not overly concerned with Harrison.  I think he played very well, and when he was inserted into the starting lineup, he upgraded Church in many ways.  My concern more lies with Wilson.  He seemed to play decently in the limited time I saw him, and given the three year deal he got, I think the team is confident in him.  But I'm fearful more time will expose weaknesses in his game.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think this defense is good enough to minimize any negative impact created by Wilson. I truly believe that there would have been more focus on the position if they didn't like the guy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 06:37 AM by The Real Marty.)

I think that if you throw out 2018, call it a lost year due to the injuries that wiped out the offensive line, and then if you look at the fact that we seriously upgraded what is by far the most important position on the team (QB), you could reasonably say that with any luck, we could win the Super Bowl.

Because we still have all the best players from 2017, plus an all-pro offensive lineman that we added in 2018, but who was lost to injury, plus Josh Allen, Jawaan Taylor, and Nick Foles.  

We're going to line up on offense, and if the opposing defense puts 8 men in the box like they've been doing as long as we can remember, now we have Nick Foles and we'll make them pay for that.   

We can still rush the passer and cover the receivers as well as any team in the league.  

Any reasonable optimist would say this team has a real shot.