Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver ?

(05-26-2019, 10:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Zach Ertz NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses --- this guy must really suck at the NFL level

WEAKNESSES Missed half of his sophomore year due to injury. Must prove his straight-line speed to scouts. Will not elude NFL defensive backs after the catch with pure quickness. Inconsistent in-line blocker, can get after his man but also loses the leverage battle and gets pushed back too easily. Misses second-level blocks when lunging at targets instead of getting position. Nice job adding bulk to his frame, but needs to continue to develop his strength to sustain blocks at the line of scrimmage. Will round off some routes at times and needs to better control himself in/out of his breaks. Needs to do a better job coming down with contested throws and will drop some easy ones ? seems to have at least one drop each game.

Travis Kelce NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses ... lol

WEAKNESSES  Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.
Haha... yeah those two ended up being huge busts. Those draft profiles are never wrong.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-06-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...9577011201
I am slightly obsessed with Oliver.

(06-06-2019, 12:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...9577011201
I am slightly obsessed with Oliver.

He's going to have one hell of an opportunity to make a stamp as a rookie in this system. 

Interesting to watch the development for sure.

After 2 years of wanting a young receiving threat at TE,  I hope and pray Oliver is the answer.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(06-06-2019, 01:56 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

After 2 years of wanting a young receiving threat at TE,  I hope and pray Oliver is the answer.

I'm sort of comparing him to Goedert as we watch them considering I wanted Goedert over Taven Bryant.
'02

(06-06-2019, 04:35 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 01:56 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: After 2 years of wanting a young receiving threat at TE,  I hope and pray Oliver is the answer.

I'm sort of comparing him to Goedert as we watch them considering I wanted Goedert over Taven Bryant.

I'll be comparing him to Sternberger and Knox since they went in the same round after

Ertz is a smart comp to look for since he'll be functioning in a similar way in a similar system.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/otas-day-9-...in-offense

In my opinion, he will be everything we wanted Lewis to be.

(06-06-2019, 09:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In my opinion, he will be everything we wanted Lewis to be.

Lewis gets a lot of criticism, but when you consider he was drafted at the end of the first round, and he played for us for 11 years and scored 33 touchdowns and was as good a blocking TE as he was, a model citizen and great teammate, I think we need to temper our criticism a little bit.  He wasn't that bad, and a lot of players drafted at the end of the first round before and since then have had much worse careers.

(06-07-2019, 07:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In my opinion, he will be everything we wanted Lewis to be.

Lewis gets a lot of criticism, but when you consider he was drafted at the end of the first round, and he played for us for 11 years and scored 33 touchdowns and was as good a blocking TE as he was, a model citizen and great teammate, I think we need to temper our criticism a little bit.  He wasn't that bad, and a lot of players drafted at the end of the first round before and since then have had much worse careers.

He gets flak mostly because he had that one pro bowl year where he really looked like a good receiving end and then couldn't catch a cold for long stretches of the next several seasons. 

Take away about 12 dropped 1st down conversions and 6 dropped touchdowns and he's probably being revered around here. But... those things happened.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 09:53 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-28-2019, 01:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 10:55 AM)pirkster Wrote: Makes me wonder what people's definition of "small school" is.

Colorado School of Mines, Shippensburg, North Dakota State, and Delaware are examples of small schools.

Schools like Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse, and California are not so-called "small schools."w

Maybe small football program I should of said

(05-23-2019, 12:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: What was his knock? He seems like a talented TE.

(05-23-2019, 12:53 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 12:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: What was his knock? He seems like a talented TE.

That he was a receiving only TE. Pretty much the same knock all the guys who got drafted around him had.

(05-23-2019, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: He was drafted right where he should have been

Part of it was blocking concerns, and part of it is positional.

TEs have frequently been found in the mid rounds.

George Kittle was drafted in the 5th round.  Mark Bavaro was a 4th round pick.  Jay Novacek was a 6th

Shannon Sharpe was a 7th round pick.

Gates was undrafted.

Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick, as was Jordan Reed, Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Chris Cooley, Jason Witten, O.J. Santiago, Rodney Holman, and Doug Cosbie.

Regarding his blocking, I'm not overly concerned about that.

First off, history has proven you can have strong rushing attacks with TEs not considered to be great blockers.  Jay Novacek was anything but a dominant blocker, yet Dallas had one of the strongest running attacks in history while he was there.  Shannon Sharpe was no Kyle Brady in terms of blocking, yet Terrell Davis had a 2000 yard rushing season with Shannon Sharpe at Y.

Secondly, it's easier to develop blocking skills in a pass catching TE than it is to develop route running in a blocking TE.  Blocking and toughness were considered areas of concern for Marcedes Lewis in the pre draft discussions, and he turned out great in those areas.

Finally, how could Oliver have developed his blocking skills (or at least shown them off) when he was on a team that was always behind?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!