Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking Back Debate #2: Khalil Mack Trade

Early last season, the Oakland Raiders traded All Pro edge Rusher Khalil Mack to the Chicago Bears.

Specifically, the terms of that deal were as follows:

The Bears received Mack, a 2020 2nd round pick and a conditional 2020 5th round pick.

The Raiders received:

2019 Bears' 1st round pick (S Jonathan Abrams)
2020 Bears' 1st round pick
2020 Bears' 3rd round pick
2020 Bears' 6th round pick

The Bears went from 42 sacks before Mack in 2017 to 50 sacks in 2018.
The Bears went from the 9th best defense in points in 2017 to the top ranked defense in points in 2018.
The Bears went from 5-11 to 2017 to 12-4 and a divisional title in 2018.

The Raiders went from 31 sacks in 2017 (Mack accounted directly for 10.5) to 13 sacks in 2018.
The Raiders went from the 20th ranked defense in points in 2017 to 32nd ranked defense in points in 2018.
The Raiders went from 6-10 in 2017 to 4-12 in 2018.

Many of those who panned the game said the Bears paid too much for Mack, both in terms of draft pick compensation to the Raiders and in terms of money to Mack-who got $90 million guaranteed from Chicago in a six year $141 million deal.

Others who thought the Bears made a good trade felt the price was right in terms of draft choice compensation and contractually for a young, in his prime, All Pro caliber edge rusher like Mack.  Edge rushers are a premium position, and Mack is among the very best in the league and seems on a Hall of fame track.

So, one year removed from the trade, what's your take?  Do you still feel the Bears paid too much, do you think the price was about right, or do you think the Bears got a bargain?

For me, I thought the trade was a good deal for the Bears in the immediate aftermath of the deal, and a season after the deal, I think the deal represents a bargain for the Bears.  In terms of draft choice compensation, the price became cheaper considering the 2019 first rounder wound up a low first round pick, and it would appear the 2020 picks from the Bears will be low in each round, barring trades.  But when you consider the comparative impacts he had on leaving the Raiders and arriving at the Bears, there's no question Mack was well worth the investment for Chicago.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Let's just say that if Mike Mayock were the GM at the time, this deal probably doesn't happen.

The Bears obviously win this trade as long as both Mack continues to produce double-digit sacks, or distract offenses enough to help the other side create pressure, and Trubisky proves to be "The Man".

Elite pass rusher and run stopper. Zero character issues and a great teammate.

For low end draft picks that MIGHT contribute. Easy win for the Bears in my book.

(05-29-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: Let's just say that if Mike Mayock were the GM at the time, this deal probably doesn't happen.

The Bears obviously win this trade as long as both Mack continues to produce double-digit sacks, or distract offenses enough to help the other side create pressure, and Trubisky proves to be "The Man".

Doubtful, just look at the Raiders draft. Gruden makes the moves and they are mostly awful

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 07:38 PM by Bullseye.)

(05-29-2019, 09:24 AM)Mikey Wrote: Let's just say that if Mike Mayock were the GM at the time, this deal probably doesn't happen.

I dunno.  If the Raiders are as cash strapped as people claim, how could they have kept him?  Sub question:  Would they have been as cash strapped had they not signed Gruden to such a gaudy contract?

That said, Mack is an awesome player and ultimately fit in among the bears all time great defenders.

(05-29-2019, 02:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Elite pass rusher and run stopper. Zero character issues and a great teammate.

For low end draft picks that MIGHT contribute. Easy win for the Bears in my book.

Yep.  This was my view in the immediate aftermath of the trade, and it was reinforced last year as the season progressed.

(05-29-2019, 02:42 PM)JackCity Wrote:

Doubtful, just look at the Raiders draft. Gruden makes the moves and they are mostly awful

But even if Abram (?) is a hit-a HOF caliber S0which would you rather have:  a potential HOF S or a potential HOF pass rusher?

Give me the pass rusher.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!