Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFLPA Labor Negotiations

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM by shadowjag01.)

Personally I think the NFL needs to play hardball. The cost for fans is getting out of control. Pay for players that haven't proven themselves yet is way too much. I'm sure the players will use concussions as leverage but perhaps the players should stop trying to kill each other and learn to tackle. 
Ok. I'm done.

NFLPA Labor Negotiations

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Anybody seen that golden egg layin' goose? We need a sharp knife too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This is standard procedure for the union to prepare the players for any possible outcome. If a stoppage were to happen then we're probably looking at no football in 2021 or 2022, but there's little reason to think it will come to that.

It appears the league is going to approve the use of marijuana under the new CBA which would start in 2021. The rest of it should get worked out. Only the most delirious players would actually expect teams to guarantee 100 percent of their contracts, but they'll surely bargain for something more in terms of guaranteed money.
'02

(05-29-2019, 03:43 AM)Jags02 Wrote: This is standard procedure for the union to prepare the players for any possible outcome. If a stoppage were to happen then we're probably looking at no football in 2021 or 2022, but there's little reason to think it will come to that.

It appears the league is going to approve the use of marijuana under the new CBA which would start in 2021. The rest of it should get worked out. Only the most delirious players would actually expect teams to guarantee 100 percent of their contracts, but they'll surely bargain for something more in terms of guaranteed money.

The NFLPA is stupid if they give up stuff for marijuana. If you can't stop for 1 month, you aren't using it for "pain", you are addicted, want to just get high, or using it to cover your other emotional issues you aren't dealing with.

Guaranteed contracts are already available, it's called a 2 year deal, maybe 3 years. Players don't want to sign them though because the overall amount is lower and they want the immediate signing bonus payout. It would make things simpler for cap also because you don't have dead money for more than 1 year. So that would be stupid to give up something for guaranteed contracts that players aren't negotiating now.

I don't think they miss time because once it's past a few games, it's over for the year. Then you have players not having money and most of them aren't rich enough or smart enough to have saved enough to cover expenses for 1 year. Then it becomes a battle internally because they aren't all equal.

Then you have something that you haven't had in years past. The XFL will have completed its first season and they potentially could sell players to the NFL for the season.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM by The Real Marty.)

(05-28-2019, 07:59 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Personally I think the NFL needs to play hardball. The cost for fans is getting out of control. 
NFLPA Labor Negotiations

The cost of players has nothing to do with the cost of tickets.  The owners will charge as much as they can, regardless of what they're paying the players.  To do otherwise means the owners would be leaving money on the table, and they are not the type of business people to do that.  

It's all about supply and demand for tickets.  Owners will make every attempt to maximize their revenue, by charging as high a price as they can get away with.  As they should.  And if it costs too much, the fans will quit going until the price comes down.  That's the way free enterprise works.  

The cost of tickets is not set by player salaries.  The cost of tickets is set by what the fans are willing to pay.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2019, 11:15 PM by JagFan81.)

(05-28-2019, 07:59 PM)shadowjag01 Wrote: Personally I think the NFL needs to play hardball. The cost for fans is getting out of control. Pay for players that haven't proven themselves yet is way too much. I'm sure the players will use concussions as leverage but perhaps the players should stop trying to kill each other and learn to tackle. 
Ok. I'm done.

NFLPA Labor Negotiations

This times a billion!

I think this is going to get messy. I fear the football side of negotiations is going to be dwarfed by the off field issues. I see a standoff between players and owners and both think they are right. Players will be looking at the NBA and MLB money and want more for them. Also Goodell and his Pharoah power will be up for discussion. Ray Rice and Murray will be brought up. I just hope the players pick some sensible people to negotiate for them but I fear were going to lose a season.

Now Goodell is again bringing up the idea of 18 games and only 2 preseason games. Should that happen I imagine they'd have to increase roster size.

I figure with two games it's like they're getting rid of the 1st and the 4th, and it sounds like scrimmages early on may become even more common. Owners want this because regular season games sell much easier than preseason games.

Would players accept a deal to let them smokie dubies in exchange for playing two more regular season games? 
'02

Here's my plan for pre-season games:
- cut from 4 to 3 games
- Week 1 and Week 3 would be one home and one away
- Week 2 would be 16 games at 16 non-NFL cities such as San Antonio, Portland, College Station...pick 16 sites,
maybe sites with large college stadiums and put in a "reasonably" regional team (Ex. Baltimore "at" Dallas at
Norman, Oklahoma, etc)
- Week 4 would be an intrasquad scrimmage at home with proceeds going to the team's primary charity and
matched by the team
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(06-05-2019, 08:18 AM)PF* Wrote: Here's my plan for pre-season games:
  - cut from 4 to 3 games
  - Week 2 would be 16 games at 16 non-NFL cities such as San Antonio, Portland, College Station...pick 16 sites,
       maybe sites with large college stadiums and put in a "reasonably" regional team (Ex. Baltimore "at" Dallas at
       Norman, Oklahoma, etc)
  - Week 4 would be an intrasquad scrimmage at home with proceeds going to the team's primary charity and
      matched by the team

And here is mine:
  • Keep the Hall of Fame game since that is more about the Inductees than anything
  • Eliminate pre-season weeks 1 & 2
  • Replace weeks 1 & 2 with a traditional, round-robin, three-day jamboree of four teams in eight separate locations. Each team plays a jamboree style game against every other and this is wide open for fan interaction. To me, this is the Fantasy Football draft Valhalla and a great "kickoff" to the football season.
  • Have weeks 3 & 4 continue as normal

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(06-05-2019, 01:36 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 08:18 AM)PF* Wrote: Here's my plan for pre-season games:
  - cut from 4 to 3 games
       Norman, Oklahoma, etc)
      matched by the team

And here is mine:
  • Keep the Hall of Fame game since that is more about the Inductees than anything
  • Eliminate pre-season weeks 1 & 2
  • Replace weeks 1 & 2 with a traditional, round-robin, three-day jamboree of four teams in eight separate locations. Each team plays a jamboree style game against every other and this is wide open for fan interaction. To me, this is the Fantasy Football draft Valhalla and a great "kickoff" to the football season.
  • Have weeks 3 & 4 continue as normal

Interesting- what's Jamboree style, though? Short scrimmage type games?

There may be too much expense in moving a 90 man roster plus all support personnel to a different location for three days, though.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM by Upper.)

If congress had to create a law to make the NFL legal in the first place (antitrust exemptions), they should make another one. The NFL and every team needs to be forced to completely open their books, and the revenue split needs to be made exactly 50/50 by law.

The players give up so much in the way of ancillary benefits because they have to fight and claw to get their money first, which the owners obviously already have plenty of. If the players revenue was fair from the get go they could have real negotiations about guaranteed contracts, marijuana, repealing franchise tags, retiree health insurance, etc.

An 18 game season would be nice.
They could eliminate out of conference games, still have two games against each division opponent, and then play every other team in the conference once.
Strength of schedule becomes nearly equal across the board.

If the players think it's fair to trade those extra games for bigger rosters, I think that could be a win-win.

It depends on how most NFLPA members see themselves.
Do they see themselves as guys who are locks to make the 53-man roster either way, or do they see themselves as marginal players who would really benefit from a few more spots opening up?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-06-2019, 01:32 PM)mikesez Wrote: An 18 game season would be nice.
They could eliminate out of conference games, still have two games against each division opponent, and then play every other team in the conference once.
Strength of schedule becomes nearly equal across the board.

If the players think it's fair to trade those extra games for bigger rosters, I think that could be a win-win.  

It depends on how most NFLPA members see themselves.  
Do they see themselves as guys who are locks to make the 53-man roster either way, or do they see themselves as marginal players who would really benefit from a few more spots opening up?

Really looking forward to that 1P kickoff in Mid-August, y'all.

you'd probably have to include two bye weeks to account for this extended schedule, too.

They're not going to eliminate inter-conference play.