Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Like button

I have an idea. Post the names of the losers that were abusing the button. That way we can unleash internet hell upon them.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-09-2019, 07:18 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 01:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: 99% of the time us mods will discuss posts that we see and will get a consensus regarding what to do with said posts/threads.  If any of us sees a blatant violation of the rules we sometimes will act on our own and even then, most times it is reported/discussed among us.

As far as the political leanings, I feel like we have a reasonable balance.  I can honestly say that I didn't "agree" with some of the mods/admins when I joined the team and I know some of them didn't really like my point of view.  However, over time we have come to have a respect for one another and our points of view.  I for one had a learning curve and was "called out" on more than one occasion for my decisions.  The same can be said by many on our team.

My point is that the current board is governed by a collaborated effort from people from all walks of life... even the one that I affectionately call our "un-documented" mod from another country (DF).  Our goal is to provide a pleasant experience for those that choose to browse the site.

As I said, as a rule of thumb, I've had very few problems with mods here.  The few times I've actually received warnings since 2002 were warranted, and to the best of my recollection, none of those warnings had anything to do with the posts/threads I referenced above.

But the idea of a deliberative body of mods changes the perspective.  I don't know how many mods there are, but as reassuring as it is to see there is a body to ensure "board integrity," it does raise some questions.  How many mods are there?  If you all have eyes out for questionable material...how often do you "meet" (presumably in chat, unless DF has THAT much time and money to fly back and forth from Europe)?  I would imagine quite a bit.  Is there a certain percentage of mods that have to be present for a quorum to be reached.  Is it a simple majority vote required to take action on a post, is unanimity required, or is it somewhere in between?  I can imagine the blatant violations could be acted upon immediately, but the questionable ones are another matter?  Do you err on the side of keeping the post/poster?  Without getting into too much detail, I suppose there was deliberation on TMD.

We have a separate forum that only mods have access to that we check as often as we can.  Sometimes a decision might take a few days to be made since we check the forum on our own time.  Usually we will discuss and come to a consensus pretty quickly and we don't always agree.

As far as TMD he was banned before I became part of the team, but I imagine it happened the same way that we do things now.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So, I just now noticed that feature was gone. Shows how much I care. Came here to see what happened. Wow, what drama.

(06-06-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's a thought:

Be nice.  Then people will "like" you.

No button required.

This, and bring substance to your posts.

Both of these get you most of the way there.

And finally...

...as Ed Latimore would say, not caring what other people think [of you] is a superpower.

Provoke thought and be honest.  If you find your thoughts to be difficult to defend or find yourself having to spend too much time defending them, you probably need to spend more time pondering them.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

A few observations before this thread goes away:

I found TMD annoying as hell toward the end. Never hated him or anything, but I don't miss him either.
JDub obviously had Asbergers, and I was able to get my empathy on while she was annoying the rest of you.

So it makes me wonder, if the same person who couldn't stand TMD could get take JDub and her type of OCD, is the opposite true? If you could handle TMD, did that automatically make you predisposed to disliking JDub?

As for the like button, it was done in by spite. Seems there's a lot of it going around lately, but then maybe it's always been there and I was too dumb to notice. Odds are better than even that the board will lose some other feature that some of us dig before the year is out to the same emotion.

Oh, and good job mods and Admin. The board ain't what it used to be, but that's not y'all's fault.

(06-25-2019, 09:41 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: A few observations before this thread goes away:

I found TMD annoying as hell toward the end.  Never hated him or anything, but I don't miss him either.
JDub obviously had Asbergers, and I was able to get my empathy on while she was annoying the rest of you.  

So it makes me wonder, if the same person who couldn't stand TMD could get take JDub and her type of OCD, is the opposite true?  If you could handle TMD, did that automatically make you predisposed to disliking JDub?

As for the like button, it was done in by spite.  Seems there's a lot of it going around lately, but then maybe it's always been there and I was too dumb to notice.  Odds are better than even that the board will lose some other feature that some of us dig before the year is out to the same emotion.

Oh, and good job mods and Admin.  The board ain't what it used to be, but that's not y'all's fault.

I was a mere lurker during TMD's time, and didn't post much while JW was re-editing everyone's posts, but I have canceled many a post when emotion intervenes and either takes away from the point I am trying to make, or resulted in a draft that would likely get me a warning. There's some other folks on here that annoy me or post what I feel is drivel, but I usually just move on to the next post, in hope that some worthwhile content is posted to a thread.

I didn't really have an issue with TMD or JW when they were contributing to a discussion. When they weren't, though, the board became a back and forth bickering session with everyone attempting to get the last word. Like you said, there a lot of that going around lately, too.

I don't envy the mods for having to put up with the inane retaliations that are likely still going on. But, in the case with TMD and JW, they were given warnings, and direction on how to play nice with the rest of the group. They refused to budge, or allowed old habits to resurface, and are now gone. I can only hope that the same is happening to discourage the pettiness around here.

(06-25-2019, 09:41 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: A few observations before this thread goes away:

I found TMD annoying as hell toward the end.  Never hated him or anything, but I don't miss him either.

So it makes me wonder, if the same person who couldn't stand TMD could get take JDub and her type of OCD, is the opposite true?  If you could handle TMD, did that automatically make you predisposed to disliking JDub?

As for the like button, it was done in by spite.  Seems there's a lot of it going around lately, but then maybe it's always been there and I was too dumb to notice.  Odds are better than even that the board will lose some other feature that some of us dig before the year is out to the same emotion.

Oh, and good job mods and Admin.  The board ain't what it used to be, but that's not y'all's fault.
re: bolded
Succinctly and accurately put. 

TMD was irksome to me and I supported the ban, but IIRC I was not yet a mod at the time.  He quite blatantly admitted to a trolling agenda with a percentage of his posting and vowed that he'd continue to throw tantrums every time the franchise "did something dumb."  (which was basically every single move made by the team)
But what really seemed to do him in was the constant off-topic littering of threads with whatever agenda he was on about that week.  I think he was dealt with in a very lenient manner considering the bannable offenses and number of warnable off topic posts that were allowed to go unpunished. 

J-Dub didn't bother me terribly most of the time, but the mess she caused with other members definitely did.

Jdub posted on other message boards and displayed none of the behaviors she did here, it was all just a troll job for attention. TMD's stuff was more about thread [BLEEP] ting than anything else really.

And if there wasn't any pettiness it wouldn't be any fun!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-26-2019, 09:12 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I was a mere lurker during TMD's time, and didn't post much while JW was re-editing everyone's posts, but I have canceled many a post when emotion intervenes and either takes away from the point I am trying to make, or resulted in a draft that would likely get me a warning. There's some other folks on here that annoy me or post what I feel is drivel, but I usually just move on to the next post, in hope that some worthwhile content is posted to a thread.

I didn't really have an issue with TMD or JW when they were contributing to a discussion. When they weren't, though, the board became a back and forth bickering session with everyone attempting to get the last word. Like you said, there a lot of that going around lately, too.

I don't envy the mods for having to put up with the inane retaliations that are likely still going on. But, in the case with TMD and JW, they were given warnings, and direction on how to play nice with the rest of the group. They refused to budge, or allowed old habits to resurface, and are now gone. I can only hope that the same is happening to discourage the pettiness around here.

Exactly.  If you had any idea how much work was done behind the scene to get them to just slightly modify their behavior, they'd still be posting on the board.  In both instances, they couldn't follow some simple rules, and after being banned so many times it was getting ridiculous, we had to initiate a permanent ban.  I think we've done that maybe 3 or 4 times over the years for repeat offenders.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

BTW, we softened the moderation significantly moving to the new board, so if you're getting banned at this point, you probably need to find a new hobby.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(06-26-2019, 03:18 PM)FBT Wrote: BTW, we softened the moderation significantly moving to the new board, so if you're getting banned at this point, you probably need to find a new hobby.

I’d +1 this, but...ya know
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-26-2019, 09:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 03:18 PM)FBT Wrote: BTW, we softened the moderation significantly moving to the new board, so if you're getting banned at this point, you probably need to find a new hobby.

I’d +1 this, but...ya know

Et tu, bunnie?

(06-27-2019, 06:03 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 09:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I’d +1 this, but...ya know

Et tu, bunnie?

You know we don’t speak French.

It is nice to be able to fart again after years of holding it in.

(06-27-2019, 06:03 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 09:56 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I’d +1 this, but...ya know

Et tu, bunnie?

When she's right she's right.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-27-2019, 04:39 PM)Jags Wrote:

It is nice to be able to fart again after years of holding it in.

Yes, but "butt gas" may have been my favorite filter avoidance on the old board.

(06-28-2019, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 04:39 PM)Jags Wrote: It is nice to be able to fart again after years of holding it in.

Yes, but "butt gas" may have been my favorite filter avoidance on the old board.

+1

I just took the time to catch up and read this thread.. Actually had to read it in chapters because I wanted to give it my full and honest opinion on this matter.. So here it goes..

lololololololololololololololololololololol.. wait, let me catch my breath.. lololololololololololololololhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I've seen arguing over dumb stuff, but wow, yeah, this is dumb.. It was a stupid button..

Once again..

lololololololololololololololololololol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019, 11:55 AM by Caldrac.)

Didn't care for the like button most of the time. But it was a nice way of telling someone "Hey, I dug what you said there". But then when I really thought about it. You could have just as easily quoted that person's post you liked and publicly told them "Hey, I dug what you said there". And it's a good way of potentially building some good back and forth banter with folks.

And that's honestly a better way of building good relationships on here or getting like minded or healthy debates going content wise in general. I was guilty of using it as a tool against some people on here that I personally couldn't stand. People I considered trolls. Then I realized if I didn't like what they had to say or they were just dribbling on and on for the sake of doing it? I could just block them and put them in the rear view mirror. It's very easy to do.

I have been slapped with the ban hammer once or twice on here. And rightfully so. I literally grew up on this message board though. I started on here back in 2005. And even though my post count no longer reflects that I still put a lot of time into this place and it was still fun over the years and still is fun to be on here from time to time. Went from being a 16 year old know it all teen, to a punk young 20's something to a dude just barely over the 30 years of age mark.

I picked up a lot of humbling experiences through here, whether it was through the loss of a member or members. A lot of solid life advice and family advice. Picked up some better habits and even found new music BECAUSE of this message board. And I do not envy the jobs of these moderators. It's a legit labor of love. I am certainly thankful for all the things you all have done over the years. It's much appreciated!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-08-2019, 07:15 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I just took the time to catch up and read this thread.. Actually had to read it in chapters because I wanted to give it my full and honest opinion on this matter.. So here it goes..

lololololololololololololololololololololol.. wait, let me catch my breath.. lololololololololololololololhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I've seen arguing over dumb stuff, but wow, yeah, this is dumb.. It was a stupid button..

Once again..

lololololololololololololololololololol

+1.48
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]