Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is lack of discipline a valid concern for this team?

(06-18-2019, 07:55 PM)FBT Wrote: ...you had some young guys trying to do more than they should have to right the ship...

Kind of like Quincy Williams, Josh Oliver, Jarrod Wilson (if not a rookie UDFA), Jawaan Taylor and Tavon Bryant?
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-20-2019, 02:16 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 09:05 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: This debate reminds me of good ol' gene smith.  We need some GS character guys and most will be happy.  I can see the entire O'line and D'line sitting front row at church and feeding the homeless each week.

The whole "choir boys" take is old and stupid.  Relating talent to off the field issues is stupid as well.

Having a competitive, nasty, on-field disposition combined with a strong work ethic doesn't mean the player has to have a criminal record.

Gene Smith's problem was not that he drafted "good guys", it's that he drafted un-talented "good guys".

Right before he got the boot, he drafted Blackmon, who had talent along with serious issues.  That didn't work out too well, huh?

Coughlin drafted Soward back in the day, and that was a similar result.

This team needs to get another Fred Taylor/Tony Boselli caliber player again so we can stop hearing the "choir boy" arguments altogether.

That's a bright idea there in bold. Since those guys were always reliable in the few times they actually held up physically to stay on the football field. 

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-21-2019, 02:35 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 07:55 PM)FBT Wrote: ...you had some young guys trying to do more than they should have to right the ship...

Kind of like Quincy Williams, Josh Oliver, Jarrod Wilson (if not a rookie UDFA), Jawaan Taylor and Tavon Bryant?

Your point is a good one, but I wouldn't include Taven Bryan or Jarrod Wilson. 

Bryan played 30% of the defensive snaps last year and a good chunk of ST plays. He's not exactly a deer in headlights and he's also surrounded by a bunch of stud veterans on that line. "Trying to do too much" is not really a concern for him IMO. 

Wilson is a veteran. He played 222 snaps at safety last year and he's entering his fourth year in the league. He knows his role. He's spent three years learning both safety spots as a back up under Wash.
Just got to keep an eye out for bad angles from him when he's playing single high IMO. 

I could see Williams and Taylor having their share of rookie moments. 
With Oliver, they can control his snap count if he's struggling.  Though he seems like he'll be fine.

We have a bunch of players from the SEC and FSU. With that, comes discipline issues. I'd rather have that then our Gene Smith Div II team.

Why is this even a topic? It's a bunch of young alphas with new money. What discipline are you looking for besides showing up, listening to the coaches, and ballin' out? Any perceived issue is certainly not Jags specific and is a league-wide culture.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2019, 10:23 PM by NH3.)

(06-20-2019, 02:07 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 05:39 PM)NH3 Wrote: Flat out NO. Our team does not have discipline issues. Not even close. The only issue that I witnessed was LF27 getting suspended. I know of no other issues to create an thread about. The players sometimes get irate on the field but that's football. Nothing to complain about.

NH3...

Serious post, or am I getting "whooshed" again?

If you're getting "whooshed", I have No Part in it. I and others feel that this post is off base. Way Off Base. To literally say that the 2018 Jaguar players have run amuck is rediculious. To elude that Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone are Non Disciplinarians only proves that you don't know their background. Every team has players that occasionally straddle the line to which they deal/w as they see fit. 

Name an NFL team that doesn't have these issues.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-22-2019, 12:37 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 02:07 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: Serious post, or am I getting "whooshed" again?

If you're getting "whooshed", I have No Part in it. I and others feel that your post is off base. Way Off Base. To literally say that the 2018 Jaguar players have run amuck is rediculious. To elude that Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone are Non Disciplinarians only proves that you don't know their background. Every team has players that occasionally straddle the line to which they deal/w as they see fit. 

NH3...

What post would that be?  I was not the OP.

I was merely surprised that you would claim our team is not even close to having any lack of discipline issues.  It's like that night in London never happened at all...

This, of course, is more directed at the players.  Accountability issues are a separate issue, and so far the FO appears willing to levy fines for these types of issues.

I agree that other teams have similar problems.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(06-22-2019, 07:34 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 12:37 AM)NH3 Wrote: If you're getting "whooshed", I have No Part in it. I and others feel that your post is off base. Way Off Base. To literally say that the 2018 Jaguar players have run amuck is rediculious. To elude that Tom Coughlin and Doug Marrone are Non Disciplinarians only proves that you don't know their background. Every team has players that occasionally straddle the line to which they deal/w as they see fit. 

NH3...

What post would that be?  I was not the OP.

I was merely surprised that you would claim our team is not even close to having any lack of discipline issues.  It's like that night in London never happened at all...

This, of course, is more directed at the players.  Accountability issues are a separate issue, and so far the FO appears willing to levy fines for these types of issues.

I agree that other teams have similar problems.

Lord Have Mercy.

O.K. I changed your post to this post. That night in London was an set up. The players involved were under the impression that the bottles they were forced fed were complimentary because of who they were. We all know that or do we all know that?

NH3...
"AZANE"

I am not privy to what transpires 8n the locker room, but to me only two players the last two seasons represent discipline problems; Danre Fowler and Leonard Fournette.

I was fearful Dareus would turn out to be a third based on the two civil suits filed against him, but one was dismissed and there have been no other reported incidents since he arrived here, so I can't put him with the other two.

Ramsey's only "crime " is his outspokenness. Until that turns into uncommon and disruptive insubordination, I can't list him with Fowler or Fournette, either.

Of course the article begs the question of what constitutes a discipline issue in the first place.

Lawrence Taylor was known for drug use and constantly being late and skipping practices for golf.

John Riggins was known for often being drunk in the locker room and in meetings. His teammate, DE Dexter Manley, ran afoul of the league's substance abuse policy several times.

The Patriots employed Aaron Hernandez, who was convicted of murder.

All three of those franchises went to Super Bowls with those guys on the rosters.

Did those teams have discipline problems?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-26-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am not privy to what transpires 8n the locker room, but to me only two players the last two seasons  represent discipline problems; Danre Fowler and Leonard Fournette.

I was fearful Dareus would turn out to be a third based on the two civil suits filed against him, but one was dismissed and there have been no other reported incidents since he arrived here, so I can't put him with the other two.

Ramsey's only "crime " is his outspokenness.  Until that turns into uncommon and disruptive insubordination,  I can't list him with Fowler  or Fournette,  either.

Of course the article begs the question of what constitutes a discipline issue in the first place.

Lawrence Taylor was known for drug use and constantly being late and skipping practices for golf.

John Riggins was known for often being drunk in the locker room and in meetings.  His teammate,  DE Dexter Manley, ran afoul of the league's substance abuse policy several times.

All three of those franchises went to Super Bowls with those guys on the rosters.

Look who the coaches were of the teams you mention.  Bill Parcels, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Belichick

(06-26-2019, 10:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am not privy to what transpires 8n the locker room, but to me only two players the last two seasons  represent discipline problems; Danre Fowler and Leonard Fournette.

Ramsey's only "crime " is his outspokenness.  Until that turns into uncommon and disruptive insubordination,  I can't list him with Fowler  or Fournette,  either.

John Riggins was known for often being drunk in the locker room and in meetings.  His teammate,  DE Dexter Manley, ran afoul of the league's substance abuse policy several times.

Look who the coaches were of the teams you mention.  Bill Parcels, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Belichick
This question is not as silly as it seems on its face, but what difference does it make?  

Is drug use and murder somehow less egregious an assault on locker room discipline for some coaches than others?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-26-2019, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Look who the coaches were of the teams you mention.  Bill Parcels, Joe Gibbs, and Bill Belichick
This question is not as silly as it seems on its face, but what difference does it make?  

Is drug use and murder somehow less egregious an assault on locker room discipline for some coaches than others?

My point was those guys knew how to keep their teams under control regardless of what they did on their own time.  3. HOF coaches

(06-26-2019, 10:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: This question is not as silly as it seems on its face, but what difference does it make?  

My point was those guys knew how to keep their teams under control regardless of what they did on their own time.  3. HOF coaches

"under control"

We the Jaguars have no such issues to which this post isn't warranted. 

#Speculation...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-28-2019, 01:12 PM)NH3 Wrote:

We the Jaguars have no such issues to which this post isn't warranted. 

#Speculation...

NH3...

Wut?

(06-28-2019, 01:19 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 01:12 PM)NH3 Wrote: We the Jaguars have no such issues to which this post isn't warranted. 

#Speculation...

NH3...

Wut?

You can buy an NH3 Translator on Amazon for 24.99. How long will it take to learn how to use it?

Time Will Tell.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(06-30-2019, 11:17 AM)PF* Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 01:19 PM)scottyg Wrote: Wut?

You can buy an NH3 Translator on Amazon for 24.99. How long will it take to learn how to use it?

Time Will Tell.

Laughing

Yes

(06-28-2019, 01:19 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 01:12 PM)NH3 Wrote: We the Jaguars have no such issues to which this post isn't warranted. 

#Speculation...

NH3...

Wut?

From the comments on LT and below, "We the Jaguars have no such issues"...
"AZANE"

(06-30-2019, 11:17 AM)PF* Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 01:19 PM)scottyg Wrote: Wut?

Time Will Tell.

#Hilarious, BUT I searched Amazon and there's no such device. I'll continue searching the Web and eBay looking for this device while hoping for test results.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"