Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jack Del Rio: No idea we were drafting Blaine Gabbert

Soooo.....

The article said he could write a tell-all book about his time in Jax. Personally, I don't think he could because he doesn't seem like the literary type, but he might have a line on a decent ghost-writer.

Would you guys read it?

I think I might.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2019, 06:50 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-25-2019, 11:03 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 09:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: JDR wasn't that bad.

He's not, but he's also not very good. He's basically Jeff Fisher, minus the long tenure at Tennessee. None of our head coaching choices were that bad, it was the management of personnel that has crippled this franchise, all the way back to Coughlin it has been this way. Shack wasn't terrible either, but he simply could not hit on 1st rounders.

edit : Gene Smith was the absolute worst thing to ever happen to this franchise period. He ruined this team for a decade. The fact he had 0 input from his head coach is absolutely asinine and makes me wonder how Gene ever even got the job. TC trolled Wayne Weaver when he told him Gene was the next great GM lol.

So much to say, so many CoC, so little time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-26-2019, 06:35 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Soooo.....

The article said he could write a tell-all book about his time in Jax.  Personally, I don't think he could because he doesn't seem like the literary type, but he might have a line on a decent ghost-writer.

Would you guys read it?  

I think I might.

Seriously, what's he going to write about?  The coaching genius that brought a stump and ax into the locker room?  The guy who was fined by the city for using enough water to fill multiple olympic size pools daily to keep his yard green?  Not much of a page turner.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2019, 07:19 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(06-26-2019, 06:53 PM)FBT Wrote:

The article said he could write a tell-all book about his time in Jax.  Personally, I don't think he could because he doesn't seem like the literary type, but he might have a line on a decent ghost-writer.

Would you guys read it?  

I think I might.

Seriously, what's he going to write about?  The coaching genius that brought a stump and ax into the locker room?  The guy who was fined by the city for using enough water to fill multiple olympic size pools daily to keep his yard green?  Not much of a page turner.

I'd like to know what the bet was that he lost that made him have to fit the words "big knockers" into a post-game press conference. Like when he lost a bet to MJD and had to wear a UCLA jersey to a press conference. Going for it on 4th down wasn't the only gambling he was doing during his time here.

Well, the one story that showed up on NFL.com made me click. Makes me wonder what else happened here that I didn't hear about.

I'm not kidding myself, I don't know if a JDR tell-all would sell five thousand copies if it were written by Melville. I love the Jags, but they're the least popular team in the NFL with not much success to hang a narrative on. But if Jack has some cool stories up his sleeve from dealing with Gene, Jimmy, MJD, Wayne, and Lefty (just to name a few), as a Jags fan, I'd be interested. That's not even getting into his dealings with Mullet Man and Jughead.

When Del Rio let Brunell go I was not a fan of that. Jack was always scared to throw the ball.

Should have just kept Tom Coughlin and Brunell. Jimmy probably plays another couple of years.

(06-27-2019, 01:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When Del Rio let Brunell go I was not a fan of that. Jack was always scared to throw the ball.

Should have just kept Tom Coughlin and Brunell. Jimmy probably plays another couple of years.

What do Coughlin and Brunell have to do with Smith playing another couple of years?  They were going to make him stop doing the blow that derailed his career?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Would you guys read it?  

I think I might.

Pretty solid book title though: Keep Choppin' Wood

(06-27-2019, 01:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: When Del Rio let Brunell go I was not a fan of that. Jack was always scared to throw the ball.

It was time to move on from all three when it happened...

Coughlin was out as GM and needed to be. He stunk in later years as a GM, and being the HC only of the Jaguars was not an option for him at the time.

Brunell was clearly near the end of his rope. He did manage one nice season with the Redskins after leaving, but that was it. The Jaguars were ready for Leftwich, and I still think he'd have been so much more successful had we provided him with much better protection.

As for Jimmy, we held onto him for too long. His declining skills were evident with him dropping a lot of passes. His final season he was almost more of a liability than an asset.
'02

Would you guys read it?  

I think I might.

I disagree.  There was a lot of craziness that occurred that has a ton of intrigue, including Byron getting hurt the day before a game-potentially in some wrestling skirmish with Big John, the Hugh Douglas stuff, the story behind Reggie and Matt, how much he hated Gregg Williams, etc..

Lots of stuff I’d love to know.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM by mikesez.)

Del Rio is an interesting character.
He had more success as a defensive coordinator. He has a gift as a former player of being able to communicate what each player needs to do, whether the scheme was simple or complex.
I don't think he had much to offer on offense.
I also don't think he was able to manage his emotions well, and that spilled over into players also not managing their emotions well.
As for scouting, note that he's just saying, "I wouldn't have traded up for Gabbert." Del Rio was supposed to be scouting, and I think we can assume that Del Rio gave Gabbert a positive scouting report. He didn't deny it.
This team had a lot of bad first round picks, but only one made me groan and moan watching it live. That was Gabbert. The one player in that draft that I didn't want.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-05-2019, 08:28 AM)mikesez Wrote: Del Rio is an interesting character.
He had more success as a defensive coordinator.  He has a gift as a former player of being able to communicate what each player needs to do, whether the scheme was simple or complex.
I don't think he had much to offer on offense.
I also don't think he was able to manage his emotions well, and that spilled over into players also not managing their emotions well.
As for scouting, note that he's just saying, "I wouldn't have traded up for Gabbert." Del Rio was supposed to be scouting, and I think we can assume that Del Rio gave Gabbert a positive scouting report.  He didn't deny it.
This team had a lot of bad first round picks, but only one made me groan and moan watching it live.  That was Gabbert.  The one player in that draft that I didn't want.

On the emotions thing...

I think JDR held it in check most of the time, but just not on that fateful Sunday against those winless Bengals when they beat us. Indeed he lost control of his emotions on that day resulting in his unfortunate and undeserved blow-up at Mike P, which then led to him losing the locker room and the rest of the season. It would the Jaguars franchise several years to recover from the repercussions of that blow-up. 
'02