Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Descendant's of Slaves

(07-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 09:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, Germany paid heavily for a long time. You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_...st_victims
The difference being the reparations were set fairly shortly after the Holocaust... as opposed to generations later.

Also... the gov't of Germany paid the gov't of Israel over 14 years or something.

Not exactly apples to apples.

No one alive today was even remotely affected by slavery. And tax payers today shouldn't be on the hook for something some people's ancestors were responsible for over 100 years ago.

Reparations is just more of "give me what you have because I feel I deserve it"
Which is an asinine thought process of so many Americans.

Long gone are the days of "give me what I'm due because I've earned it"
Just being born gives so many people this idea that they deserve or are owed something.

(07-01-2019, 01:27 PM)Predator Wrote: Your reading comprehension is what is preposterous. 

I'd be glad to pay slaves reparations, unfortunately the last person to claim to be a slave died in 1971. He also claimed to be the preposterous age of 124. 

No one alive even had parents who were slaves and only a handful of extremely elderly people could even possibly make the claim their grandparents were born under slavery.

The truth is most African Americans are 5-6 generations or more removed from slavery, and if you want to mention Jim Crow laws, most of the people who experienced that are also dead.

Ain't nobody trying to hear that.

And you only need to look to the African Americans that think reparations are idiotic and not needed to know it's just a political talking point from the left and another tool they use to claim anyone who disagrees with them is racist.

All of those arguments are sound.
So what if, instead, they claim that the reparations they want are actually for a hundred years of legalized housing discrimination, employment discrimination, and education discrimination?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2019, 05:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: The difference being the reparations were set fairly shortly after the Holocaust... as opposed to generations later.

Also... the gov't of Germany paid the gov't of Israel over 14 years or something.

No one alive today was even remotely affected by slavery. And tax payers today shouldn't be on the hook for something some people's ancestors were responsible for over 100 years ago.

Just being born gives so many people this idea that they deserve or are owed something.

And you only need to look to the African Americans that think reparations are idiotic and not needed to know it's just a political talking point from the left and another tool they use to claim anyone who disagrees with them is racist.

So what if, instead, they claim that the reparations they want are actually for a hundred years of legalized housing discrimination, employment discrimination, and education discrimination?

Then it is no longer a Reparations For Slavery movement and becomes a Reparations For A Hundred Years of Legalized Housing Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, and Education Discrimination movement, which then opens it up to the descendants of the Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Italians, Jews, American Indians, and myriad other groups. We'll all just pay each other $20 and call it even.

(07-01-2019, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: The difference being the reparations were set fairly shortly after the Holocaust... as opposed to generations later.

Many ethnic groups who are now considered part of "white America" were subjected to discrimination.  Irish, poles, Italians, Jews. Where does the reparations end?

(07-01-2019, 08:24 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: All of those arguments are sound.

Many ethnic groups who are now considered part of "white America" were subjected to discrimination.  Irish, poles, Italians, Jews. Where does the reparations end?

It already did, this bull [BLEEP] isn't ever going to happen because it's stupid on it's face and only morons and hucksters even consider it to be any kind of good idea.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-01-2019, 05:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Then it is no longer a Reparations For Slavery movement and becomes a Reparations For A Hundred Years of Legalized Housing Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, and Education Discrimination movement, which then opens it up to the descendants of the Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Italians, Jews, American Indians, and myriad other groups. We'll all just pay each other $20 and call it even.

American Indians have gotten a lot of consideration already, and maybe should get more.

As for the others, they faced private employment discrimination, but not much else.
They did not get forced into separate public schools.  
They did not get their neighborhoods marked as "no-go" zones for FHA loans.
They had equal access to government jobs (the Wilson administration famously fired a lot of black clerical and postal workers, and re-segregated the rest. But Catholics and Jews went unscathed)

The discrimination that Jews and Catholics faced was more private than public. If reparations are owed, they would be from private individuals. I say this with both types of people in my family tree.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-30-2019, 01:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have a few of questions.

1.  How do we determine if a black person today is a direct descendant of a slave vs. a slave owner?

2.  What about people that immigrated to the U.S. after say 1863?  Should their descendants have to pay?

3.  What about those of us that are descendants of people that never owned slaves?  In my case my family were indigenous (Mexican Heritage born and raised in the southwest).

4.  What about the non-black people who were slaves?

I think all of those are moot if one, anyone, were to look in the mirror and ask themselves seriously why we should be paying people today for what their great, great, great grandparents endured. Paying reparations to the families of direct descendants of people who died during the Civil Rights movements, yes, but paying reparations to individuals who can barely trace their heritage back to the crime itself doesn't make sense. If my great, great, great grandfather killed your great, great grandfather in the 1880s, would you reasonably expect me to pay you for your loss today?

(07-02-2019, 11:02 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have a few of questions.

1.  How do we determine if a black person today is a direct descendant of a slave vs. a slave owner?

2.  What about people that immigrated to the U.S. after say 1863?  Should their descendants have to pay?

3.  What about those of us that are descendants of people that never owned slaves?  In my case my family were indigenous (Mexican Heritage born and raised in the southwest).

4.  What about the non-black people who were slaves?

I think all of those are moot if one, anyone, were to look in the mirror and ask themselves seriously why we should be paying people today for what their great, great, great grandparents endured. Paying reparations to the families of direct descendants of people who died during the Civil Rights movements, yes, but paying reparations to individuals who can barely trace their heritage back to the crime itself doesn't make sense. If my great, great, great grandfather killed your great, great grandfather in the 1880s, would you reasonably expect me to pay you for your loss today?

Well now, that depends. Are you black, an illegal immigrant, or could I persuade you to vote the Democratic ticket?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

wut?

First of all... if every group that has ever been discriminated against if owed something....

I need my cut, I'm 60% Irish. 
I know Japanese Americans that could probably get something. 
It could go on and on....

I don't care what the reparations are for..... I will not support setting such a precedent.

In 10 years the LGBQT community could be coming with their hands out....
and at that point anyone could claim to be gay and Chuck and Larry the whole thing.

Reparations don't make sense. However new legislation, if needed, or proper enforcement of current laws and regulations is always welcomed.

(07-02-2019, 09:42 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Then it is no longer a Reparations For Slavery movement and becomes a Reparations For A Hundred Years of Legalized Housing Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, and Education Discrimination movement, which then opens it up to the descendants of the Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Italians, Jews, American Indians, and myriad other groups. We'll all just pay each other $20 and call it even.

American Indians have gotten a lot of consideration already, and maybe should get more.

As for the others, they faced private employment discrimination, but not much else.
They had equal access to government jobs (the Wilson administration famously fired a lot of black clerical and postal workers, and re-segregated the rest. But Catholics and Jews went unscathed)

The discrimination that Jews and Catholics faced was more private than public. If reparations are owed, they would be from private individuals. I say this with both types of people in my family tree.

Oh, I didn’t realize we were quantifying degrees of discrimination. This complicates things. Now we’ll have to come up with Degree of Discrimination Reparations table. (sigh)

(07-02-2019, 12:21 PM)Kane Wrote:

wut?

First of all... if every group that has ever been discriminated against if owed something....

I don't care what the reparations are for..... I will not support setting such a precedent.

and at that point anyone could claim to be gay and Chuck and Larry the whole thing.

Reparations don't make sense. However new legislation, if needed, or proper enforcement of current laws and regulations is always welcomed.

You don't have to wait 10 years, it's already starting now with the alphabet soup of sexual abnormalities being celebrated last month.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 01:12 PM by Kane.)

(07-02-2019, 09:42 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Then it is no longer a Reparations For Slavery movement and becomes a Reparations For A Hundred Years of Legalized Housing Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, and Education Discrimination movement, which then opens it up to the descendants of the Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Italians, Jews, American Indians, and myriad other groups. We'll all just pay each other $20 and call it even.

But where do we draw the line... what discrimination is allowed and not allowed?
What types of discrimination call for reparations.
Slavery only?
Indentured servants, as much of the Irish were, may not technically been slavery, but mistreated much in the same ways.
How about the Japanese that were rounded up IN AMERICA after Pearl Harbor put into camps.... should their descendants be paid reparations? Or was the 20k per encamped person enough?
How far back do we go?
Perhaps we owe reparations to the British for the American Revolution?

It's a rabbit hole we just shouldn't be going down.

(07-02-2019, 01:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 12:21 PM)Kane Wrote: wut?

You don't have to wait 10 years, it's already starting now with the alphabet soup of sexual abnormalities being celebrated last month.

Eh, they can celebrate if they want. Doesn't bother me. Just don't ask for special treatment, reparations, or mistake my tolerance for acceptance.
Also... if a straight pride parade happens... I don't want to hear any sissies whining about it.
 I'm pretty liberal when it comes to stuff like marriage equality.

But when someone starts talking about digging around in my pockets I get pretty far right about it lol

(07-02-2019, 11:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 11:02 AM)TJBender Wrote: I think all of those are moot if one, anyone, were to look in the mirror and ask themselves seriously why we should be paying people today for what their great, great, great grandparents endured. Paying reparations to the families of direct descendants of people who died during the Civil Rights movements, yes, but paying reparations to individuals who can barely trace their heritage back to the crime itself doesn't make sense. If my great, great, great grandfather killed your great, great grandfather in the 1880s, would you reasonably expect me to pay you for your loss today?

Well now, that depends. Are you black, an illegal immigrant, or could I persuade you to vote the Democratic ticket?

1. No
2. No
3. Depends on the candidate, but probably not.

(07-02-2019, 01:09 PM)Kane Wrote: But when someone starts talking about digging around in my pockets I get pretty far right about it lol

You and me both, sister.

(07-02-2019, 01:54 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 11:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Well now, that depends. Are you black, an illegal immigrant, or could I persuade you to vote the Democratic ticket?

1. No
2. No
3. Depends on the candidate, but probably not.

(07-02-2019, 01:09 PM)Kane Wrote: But when someone starts talking about digging around in my pockets I get pretty far right about it lol

You and me both, sister.

If you did not answer "yes" to any of the questions in Part 1 please take your checkbook and report to the nearest Tax Collector's Office.

Affirmative action, the end of segregation thanks to the civil right's movement and civil rights act along with access to now more than seventy-five black only colleges [with access to any other college practicing actual diversity] is enough reparations.

So tired of this [BLEEP]. We all, at one point, had ancestors who fought to free themselves from slavery. There's more [BLEEP] slaves today in the modern world than we've ever seen in our known existence.

But, sure, the USA's history of slavery still demands more reparations. Pathetic. In a way you're saying "Hey, I am Black. No longer shackled by a ball and chain. But I still need help from my White Masters".

Just.... pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It’s nothing more than a campaign ploy which gets dusted off every 4 years. It’ll go away soon when the dem front runners are determined and they realize it’s a dead end subject.

Slavery as an institution was established by the U.K. And existed much longer under their rule than the U.S..

Why aren't people calling for a boycott of things made by or representing the U.K.?

Where are the demands for reparations from the country that established the institution of slavery in multiple places around the world?

(07-05-2019, 01:04 PM)Predator Wrote: Why aren't people calling for a boycott of things made by or representing the U.K.?

They're too busy cheering on Brexit as it burns down faster than Notre Dame.

Point 1 - Everyone else was doing it is not a valid excuse.

Point 2 - Comparing the treatment of Irish, Italian, Asian, Jewish and any other immigrant to the treatment of African slaves and how they were treated for at least 100 years after they gained freedom is the worst false equivalency ever imagined.

Point 3 - If we are all descendents of slaves, who can tell us where and when it happened?

Point 4 - I comb my hair to cover it.

Carry on with your silly debate.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Point 1 - The fact that everyone else was doing it is completely valid as that is what brought slavery to these lands. If it wasn't for King George III, who knows if slavery would have been a piece of our history.

Point 2 - Slavery, is slavery, is slavery. You don't get to ignore one group over the other. This is placing things neatly in a box for argument sake is weak at best.

Point 3 - That should be the job of those seeking reparations. Prove that connection. Either way, the one up game is ridiculous and adds nothing to the argument for or against idiotic reparations talk.

Point 4 - Shave your head... unless you have a large crater filled nugget that looks like it was beaten with a baseball bat. Then, hats are your friend!

Carry on with...well, just carry on!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-06-2019, 10:58 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Point 1 - Everyone else was doing it is not a valid excuse.

Point 2 - Comparing the treatment of Irish, Italian, Asian, Jewish and any other immigrant to the treatment of African slaves and how they were treated for at least 100 years after they gained freedom is the worst false equivalency ever imagined.

Point 3 - If we are all descendents of slaves, who can tell us where and when it happened?

Point 4 - I comb my hair to cover it.

Carry on with your silly debate.

Point 1 - I don't feel anyone on here is trying to say it's a valid excuse. The primary argument is "Where do you draw the line in the sand and stop demanding reparations for something that's been over with and done for nearly 100 years?". We've come a long way from the days of Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit and Emmett Till's beyond barbaric beating and death which was recently confirmed that it had be established off a woman's lie? 

We're all well aware that despite the abolishing of slavery and just before and after the civil right's movement that we had some racial tension in this Country. We're all collectively reminded of this every February with Black History Month. But, the issue is that while all of this is constantly being dredged up. What is the ultimate intended purpose of it and who is being aimed at directly?

Plantations, cotton picking, lynchings and overseers are no longer a thing in this Country. I mean, modern day socialites can argue otherwise about it being "modernized" but don't let that get in the way of actual progression in this Country. 

Point 2 - You're basically repeating Point 1. So what's the point of point 2? This isn't a matter of a game of "Let's see whose suffered more". Plenty of historical facts can support that a great deal of all races and religions at some point or points in various markers on our lowly timeline of existence have suffered at the hands of another for a plethora of excuses or barbaric reasons. Why should black people get a pass? Especially in 2019? When there's just as many black people in all fields of life in this country shining brightly and serving as inspiration or a reason to have pride? 

Point 3 - That's completely up to where you're getting your information from, who and what you seek, and what the timeline was. We do know that Egyptians may have or may not have built their empire on the backs of slavery. It depends on whether or not you want to believe in the Bible and certain stories in that book. You could look at most of Europe's history which has been cut and diced for centuries over entitlements (whether justifiable or not), resources, religion (mostly propagated by fanatics who sought total control beyond just church but also state and wealth), etc. 

I mean. Take your pick man. It's not a debate at this point. It's just bull [BLEEP] being spewed at an ad nauseam level and it needs to eventually come to a head. This way of thinking, this old world "Well, you did this to my ancestors X years ago, so therefore, you owe me Y now or else I will do Z later" is stunting growth in this country. I think if people spent less time finger pointing at each other across the aisle or at our neighbors and spent more time following the paper trails, the money, the primary beneficiaries of all of this well crafted hate and misdirection we would all be much happier in due time. 

Have a nice and blessed Sunday good sir!
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."