Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Day Steals...

How is no one talking about the 2006 Draft?
1st round: Marcedes Lewis - Probowler, best TE we've ever had and owns virtually every TE record in franchise history.
2nd round: MJD - Multiple probowls/all-pro nods & a rushing title. He's at least the 2nd best RB we've ever had (depending on who you ask)
3rd round: Clint Ingram: gave us half a decade of solid play at Strong Side Linebacker ... this man could HIT!!!
5th round: Brent Hawkins, rotational depth at DE that gave us 5-6 sacks across 2 years of play. Not a HoF player but a hit and great value out of a mid round selection!

The top 2 picks alone make the draft but overall bc it's a class of only like 4 people I think it tends to get overlooked as far as "best draft" and importance to the franchise.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-08-2019, 01:03 PM)Firesky Wrote: How is no one talking about the 2006 Draft?
1st round: Marcedes Lewis - Probowler, best TE we've ever had and owns virtually every TE record in franchise history.
2nd round: MJD - Multiple probowls/all-pro nods & a rushing title. He's at least the 2nd best RB we've ever had (depending on who you ask)
3rd round: Clint Ingram: gave us half a decade of solid play at Strong Side Linebacker ... this man could HIT!!!
5th round: Brent Hawkins, rotational depth at DE that gave us 5-6 sacks across 2 years of play. Not a HoF player but a hit and great value out of a mid round selection!

The top 2 picks alone make the draft but overall bc it's a class of only like 4 people I think it tends to get overlooked as far as "best draft" and importance to the franchise.

Lewis being the best tight-end we ever had is debatable. Best tight-end drafted in Franchise history? Sure. 

Some folks will argue for Pete Mitchell though who was pretty impressive considering the era in which he played. Kyle Brady would also be another argument made for the position. Those two guys also played on much better football teams overall here in Jacksonville and had more memorable moments and more meaningful games. 

Maurice Jones-Drew was a steal. He made that draft for sure. But I think his short comings (pun intended for Pocket Hercules there) due to injuries and being ran into the dirt ultimately elevated just how amazing Fred Taylor's franchise marks are in our team's history since he missed nearly three years worth of football. 

Clint Ingram was decent. He had his moments. Solid role player for sure. 

And I don't remember Hawkins. That was a fairly solid draft class for this Franchise. 2006 was pretty good to this team's roster. But I think 1995 was good when you consider they landed Boselli at LT, Stewart at RB and Rob Johnson at QB (Who would eventually be flipped to Buffalo for Fred Taylor). 1996 also netted this team Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens and Aaron Beasley. Again, a nice trio on defense that would assist us in a nice three, four year play-off stretch. 1997 is forgettable. 1998 netted us Taylor and Darius in RD1. Good pair there too.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-08-2019, 01:03 PM)Firesky Wrote: 3rd round: Clint Ingram: gave us half a decade of solid play at Strong Side Linebacker ... this man could HIT!!!

Clint Ingram played 4 years in the NFL compiling 194 tackles for the Jags.  He didn't play another regular season snap after he left Jacksonville.  I'd have to say that was a 3rd round bust for a LB

Brent Hawkins?  2 Years in the NFL with 23 tackles ... steal??

A 3rd round bust? That played 4 years and was a starter? A bust???
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(07-08-2019, 02:12 PM)Dimson Wrote: A 3rd round bust? That played 4 years and was a starter? A bust???

That we only moved on from because we added Poz, and kept guys like Daryl Smith & Justin Durant who were already solid.

Ingram was very much NOT a bust. And having a 5th round pick provide quality production in limited snaps off the bench is yk a good 5th round pick. Not every selection needs to be a 400 foot bomb out of the park.
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Brian Smith, Brent Hawkins, Jorge Cordova, Larry Hart....man I remember us trying to find that "Designated Pass Rusher" for YEARS!

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(07-08-2019, 02:12 PM)Dimson Wrote: A 3rd round bust? That played 4 years and was a starter? A bust???

OK, so if we get  4 years - 194 tackles (average 3 tackles per game) from Quincy Williams, is that really a steal?

My expectations are that he'll contribute for a longer duration and not be out of the NFL within 5 years.

(07-08-2019, 03:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

OK, so if we get  4 years - 194 tackles (average 3 tackles per game) from Quincy Williams, is that really a steal?

My expectations are that he'll contribute for a longer duration and not be out of the NFL within 5 years.

Quincy has the luxury of playing on a pretty stacked defense already. He's a major wildcard for this team this year. He'll either be the head scratch pick of the draft that ends up being just that. Or he'll be a legitimate steal and hopefully play equally or as good as Telvin Smith did for us. 

Given Caldwell's ability of finding late round talent on defense I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-08-2019, 01:19 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 01:03 PM)Firesky Wrote: How is no one talking about the 2006 Draft?

Lewis being the best tight-end we ever had is debatable. Best tight-end drafted in Franchise history? Sure. 

Some folks will argue for Pete Mitchell though who was pretty impressive considering the era in which he played. Kyle Brady would also be another argument made for the position. Those two guys also played on much better football teams overall here in Jacksonville and had more memorable moments and more meaningful games. 

Maurice Jones-Drew was a steal. He made that draft for sure. But I think his short comings (pun intended for Pocket Hercules there) due to injuries and being ran into the dirt ultimately elevated just how amazing Fred Taylor's franchise marks are in our team's history since he missed nearly three years worth of football. 

Clint Ingram was decent. He had his moments. Solid role player for sure. 

And I don't remember Hawkins. That was a fairly solid draft class for this Franchise. 2006 was pretty good to this team's roster. But I think 1995 was good when you consider they landed Boselli at LT, Stewart at RB and Rob Johnson at QB (Who would eventually be flipped to Buffalo for Fred Taylor). 1996 also netted this team Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens and Aaron Beasley. Again, a nice trio on defense that would assist us in a nice three, four year play-off stretch. 1997 is forgettable. 1998 netted us Taylor and Darius in RD1. Good pair there too.

I actually sat down one day and looked up how many games Fred Taylor actually missed and it was an astonishing 55 career games missed with injuries.

55 divided by 16 games is 3.4, so he basically missed 3 and a half years of football. And this is 55 regular season games not including any playoff games.

However he missed 36 regular season games as a Jaguar. 

Back on topic, I agree about the TE. Mitchell was my favorite bc he caught some passes in very big moments. He had good hands. Kyle Brady was a Pro Bowl TE and could block and catch. So I would have to rank Lewis as the 3rd best TE. Based on stats Lewis is at the top. I remember Lewis dropping too many passes and basically zero YAC. Stats may say otherwise but that’s what I remember of him. 

Hawkins - I forgot he even played 
Ingram - was a an average run of the mill LB. 

MJD - was a steal in round 2 of course.

(07-08-2019, 03:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 03:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: OK, so if we get  4 years - 194 tackles (average 3 tackles per game) from Quincy Williams, is that really a steal?

Quincy has the luxury of playing on a pretty stacked defense already. He's a major wildcard for this team this year. He'll either be the head scratch pick of the draft that ends up being just that. Or he'll be a legitimate steal and hopefully play equally or as good as Telvin Smith did for us. 

Given Caldwell's ability of finding late round talent on defense I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I beg to differ.  If you are on a stacked defense, your stats will go down.  Conversely, if you are on a defense that can't tackle, you can rack up your stats like when Poz was the only dude we could rely on.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM by Caldrac.)

(07-09-2019, 09:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 03:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Quincy has the luxury of playing on a pretty stacked defense already. He's a major wildcard for this team this year. He'll either be the head scratch pick of the draft that ends up being just that. Or he'll be a legitimate steal and hopefully play equally or as good as Telvin Smith did for us. 

I beg to differ.  If you are on a stacked defense, your stats will go down.  Conversely, if you are on a defense that can't tackle, you can rack up your stats like when Poz was the only dude we could rely on.

It depends on the scheme and down and distances to go though IMHO. If you're stacked on one side of the defense and the majority of your pressure or choke point filters through the opposite side then he'll be responsible as the "catch all" on his side of the field. Telvin Smith benefited from this throughout the last few years. If I am a QB, RB or TE I am running the hell away from Campbell at times and taking my chances with Ngakoue instead. 

If the box is loaded with Harrison at times and he's lining up over Ngakoue's or Jack's shoulder then I am certainly going in the opposite direction. I think with Quincy's speed and hitting ability he'll have a chance to shine in spurts if he just keeps the game in front of him and doesn't try to be a hero. By having so much veteran and proven consistency all around him he'll have plenty of plays funneling towards him by the opposition.

I also feel that at times fans get too caught up on statistics and overlook the more important aspects of the game. Which is how effectively a player or unit reacts in critical down and distances. If Quincy ends his rookie year with 70 tackles and a few picks, maybe a sack here or there and he's not being pegged or burned for blown assignments or over pursuing then he's an effective player.

I could care less if one defender has 100+ tackles. I would rather see a well rounded group of 70+ tackles across the board for everyone. It means there was effectiveness occurring more times than not throughout the year.

Back to the original Subject Title: "Draft Day Steals"

If you draft a LB in the 3rd round and they go on to have a 4-year NFL Career consisting of 194 tackles, is that really considered a "Steal" ---- Absolutely Not.

As a matter of fact, the Jags had a really good defense in 2006 and 2007 then declined in 2008 and 2009 because we relied on players like Clint Ingram who were just below average.

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM by Firesky.)

(07-08-2019, 03:45 PM)NCJag Wrote: Brian Smith, Brent Hawkins, Jorge Cordova, Larry Hart....man I remember us trying to find that "Designated Pass Rusher" for YEARS!

Of your list, Hawkins and Cordova (ironically the first generation of DPR's) had the most success in that role until John Chick & Ryan Davis came to town (mentioned below). The biggest mistake this franchise made with Hawkins was trying to convert him to LB during the offseason; he was thriving in his DPR role as a rotational guy off the bench, and they were looking for ways to get him on the field (which makes sense) but having him cut weight and play a brand new position meant that by the time the project was scrapped he's now undersized for his DPR role and hasn't been repping at the spot for months which puts him wayyyy behind the rest of the guys competing for spots. I think Hawkins had a Bobby McCray like celing for us if we had just left him well enough alone and kept him at DPR [for the record i'm VERY glad we're having Josh Allen ONLY rep at the DE spot until he's fully comfortable to digest more as far as the Defense and his own role/responsibilities go]

John Chick, Ryan Davis (the two I mentioned above to add to your list) having the most success in that role (Chick was an animal until that career ending leg injury) & Davis could rush from all over the line and was the key cog in "The Lightning Package" that was the famed "3 LEO set" beloved by Gus Bradley.

As far as Clint Ingram ... He was FAR from "bad" ... The reason he didn't stick around was that he wanted to be a starter, he was already playing limited snaps due to the 3rd CB replacing the SLB in Nickel sets; & with Daryl Smith & Justin Durant having EARNED 2/3 starting spots by this point, the writing was on the wall that we would likely add another LB [& he was right ... after the Raiders took a LB #4 overall, Rolando McClain, they just handed us their incumbent starter Kirk Morrison, who was coming off a career year, in order to swap picks in the mid rounds]. Ingram took a short term deal with the Saints who were coming off a Super Bowl, and aside from Vilma had no standouts at LB, it was a good deal for Ingram to go to a contending team where he had a better shot at starting (And after Morrisons contract expired the next offseason we added yet another LB ... and his name was Paul Posluszny!! so I have zero qualms with the way things worked out lol)
Championship Formula:

4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-11-2019, 04:39 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 03:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Quincy has the luxury of playing on a pretty stacked defense already. He's a major wildcard for this team this year. He'll either be the head scratch pick of the draft that ends up being just that. Or he'll be a legitimate steal and hopefully play equally or as good as Telvin Smith did for us. 

Williams will no doubt be an Very Good player for we the Jaguars. As he's already running w/the first defense, the coaching staff has no doubt in his abilities. His learning curve will be an factor but the good will outweigh the bad.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

"AZANE"

(07-11-2019, 04:46 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 04:39 PM)NH3 Wrote: Williams will no doubt be an Very Good player for we the Jaguars. As he's already running w/the first defense, the coaching staff has no doubt in his abilities. His learning curve will be an factor but the good will outweigh the bad.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

That's good. Where did you read that?

(07-12-2019, 02:51 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: That's good. Where did you read that?

It's been widely known throughout OTAs that Williams was running w/the #1 defense. Wash even stated in an interview that he wanted to see how fast he would adapt and the best way to find out was to play him w/the first team. Remember, he was drafted for this reasoning.

But to answer your question, I didn't read it anywhere. I respectfully try to keep up w/the latest news to which is now old news.

NH3...
"AZANE"