Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Day Steals...

(07-03-2019, 04:42 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 10:19 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: I'd rate that below my top 3. Obviously, Fred was a great pick and one of the top 3 Jags ever. Darius was good, but not great. His cover skills were just so-so. Cordell Taylor was one of the worst picks ever for this team; he was a total bust kept around for too long due to being such a high pick. If Banks didn't get hurt, he would have put this class higher. 

I am excited about the potential of this year's draft class. I'd be shocked if Allen and Taylor don't become very good NFL players very soon. Taylor could turn out to be the steal of the entire draft if he remains healthy and in shape. The wild-cards are Armstead and Williams. Hopefully we won't see too much of Armstead right away since that would mean Fournette got hurt again, but he should become a solid back-up this season and eventually can become the starter. If he turns out as good as Stacey Mack, our other Temple back who was a solid pro, I'd be quite happy. Williams could turn out to be a fan favorite due to his aggressive style of play and small-school status. I just worry about him getting hurt due to the impact of his tackling style.

I disagree wholeheartedly that Darius was merely good and not great. So what if he wasn't the best cover guy even though he started getting INTs right and left after using a Juggs machine to practice catching. Darius was a tremendous playmaker and one of the better tackling Safeties in league history even though he rarely gets the credit. The Jaguars knew the better franchise him in back-to-back seasons. 

Jags02 - I agree with everything you said about Double D.

I will never forget that time he met Bettis in the “A” gap and put Bettis on his behind.

The Ferguson knock out was a vicious hit. You could always count on Darius getting a unnecessary roughing penalty just about every other game. 

Anytime our defense would come out flat, and teams would start running the ball, Darius was a tone-setter. Best Safety in team history in my eyes.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-03-2019, 07:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:42 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I disagree wholeheartedly that Darius was merely good and not great. So what if he wasn't the best cover guy even though he started getting INTs right and left after using a Juggs machine to practice catching. Darius was a tremendous playmaker and one of the better tackling Safeties in league history even though he rarely gets the credit. The Jaguars knew the better franchise him in back-to-back seasons. 

I will never forget that time he met Bettis in the “A” gap and put Bettis on his behind.

The Ferguson knock out was a vicious hit. You could always count on Darius getting a unnecessary roughing penalty just about every other game. 

Anytime our defense would come out flat, and teams would start running the ball, Darius was a tone-setter. Best Safety in team history in my eyes.

I certainly respect your opinions on this. I can't disagree that he has been the best safety in team history. He was also a team leader and a great citizen who continues to give back to the community. Maybe it's just a case of semantics, but I can't call him "great" due to his limitations in coverage. Not that it's the most important thing, but he also was never selected for a pro bowl. That's one of the best things about sports- people have very different opinions and enjoy debating their difference in opinions.

And I just remembered that the Jags traded a 3rd and 5th from 1995 draft for Mark Brunell. Add to the calculus that the Jags got Buffalo's 1st round pick in 1998 for Rob Johnson (also drafted in 1995), with which the Jags drafted Fred Taylor, and you have the makings of one of the best draft days for ANY team.

Talk about peaking early.

I think Allen and Taylor are going to go down as steals, but I think the Jags will regret passing on Sternberger and Grier for Oliver and Q. Williams. If Minshew actually achieves franchise status against the odds, the draft will be a success no matter what else happens to the rest of the class.

Good points anon2112, that draft was indeed a great one.

I'm very interested in seeing what the future holds for the 2018 draft.
The top three picks, Bryan, Chark, and Harrison will all have opportunity to breakout this season.
And I'd not be shocked if Jacobs becomes a solid starting OLB here or somewhere else in time.

(Reports are also good thus far on Will Richardson's development under his new coach as he returns from injury.
Hopefully he's not needed, but he's on track to be listed on the depth chart backing up two positions. And he may even compete at RG with AJ Cann)

(07-03-2019, 07:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:42 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I disagree wholeheartedly that Darius was merely good and not great. So what if he wasn't the best cover guy even though he started getting INTs right and left after using a Juggs machine to practice catching. Darius was a tremendous playmaker and one of the better tackling Safeties in league history even though he rarely gets the credit. The Jaguars knew the better franchise him in back-to-back seasons. 

The hit on Ferguson was a cheap shot and he would have been suspended for multiple games if it happened recently.  I don't mind a hard hit. but headhunting is uncalled for.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(07-03-2019, 12:26 PM)Rico Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 07:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jags02 - I agree with everything you said about Double D.

The hit on Ferguson was a cheap shot and he would have been suspended for multiple games if it happened recently.  I don't mind a hard hit. but headhunting is uncalled for.

I remember how JDR tried to spin that as Darius "going for the ball". Really Jack? Was he trying to knock it out with his elbow or something because Darius' forearm was around Ferguson's neck.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(07-03-2019, 01:53 PM)Deacon Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 12:26 PM)Rico Wrote: The hit on Ferguson was a cheap shot and he would have been suspended for multiple games if it happened recently.  I don't mind a hard hit. but headhunting is uncalled for.

I remember how JDR tried to spin that as Darius "going for the ball". Really Jack? Was he trying to knock it out with his elbow or something because Darius' forearm was around Ferguson's neck.

Well, I also remember that Darius said it was just 'technique'.  I almost laughed.  Almost.

(07-03-2019, 01:57 PM)Rico Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 01:53 PM)Deacon Wrote: I remember how JDR tried to spin that as Darius "going for the ball". Really Jack? Was he trying to knock it out with his elbow or something because Darius' forearm was around Ferguson's neck.

Well, I also remember that Darius said it was just 'technique'.  I almost laughed.  Almost.

Duh, the technique is called a clothesline tackle.  It's the last one real one I've ever seen.  Everyone these days is just too soft to put themselves out there, risking the lives of their fellow competitors.

(07-03-2019, 12:26 PM)Rico Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 07:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jags02 - I agree with everything you said about Double D.

Do you remember how quick that play happened?

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM by RicoTx.)

(07-03-2019, 03:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 12:26 PM)Rico Wrote: The hit on Ferguson was a cheap shot and he would have been suspended for multiple games if it happened recently.  I don't mind a hard hit. but headhunting is uncalled for.

Do you remember how quick that play happened?

Yes.  Do you remember it?  It was a cheap hit and there was no reason to clothesline the receiver.  If you remember otherwise, you need to re-watch it.  He took three strides and clotheslined Ferguson and there was absolutely no reason for him to hit him that high.

I've been a fan and season  ticket holder since day one.  That play was embarrassing to me as a fan.  If that wasn't intentional, please tell me why he never tried to use his right arm.  It was a blatant clothesline.  A DB did that to one of our receivers and there would be a gigantic uproar.

(07-03-2019, 10:42 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: And I just remembered that the Jags traded a 3rd and 5th from 1995 draft for Mark Brunell.  Add to the calculus that the Jags got Buffalo's 1st round pick in 1998 for Rob Johnson (also drafted in 1995), with which the Jags drafted Fred Taylor, and you have the makings of one of the best draft days for ANY team.

I think Allen and Taylor are going to go down as steals, but I think the Jags will regret passing on Sternberger and Grier for Oliver and Q. Williams.  If Minshew actually achieves franchise status against the odds, the draft will be a success no matter what else happens to the rest of the class.

I hear you. It'll be interesting keeping track of Sternberger vs Oliver over the next few years.

I also have to admit that when the Jaguars passed on Grier I initially flipped out a little bit. It was like that insurance commercial where the guy breaks into a player's car, and the player says "WHAT!" But c'est la vie... Telvin forced their hand.
'02

(07-03-2019, 02:25 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 01:57 PM)Rico Wrote: Well, I also remember that Darius said it was just 'technique'.  I almost laughed.  Almost.

Duh, the technique is called a clothesline tackle.  It's the last one real one I've ever seen.  Everyone these days is just too soft to put themselves out there, risking the lives of their fellow competitors.

It was vicious tho. Darius earned a little bit of a rep with that play.

The ugliest, nastiest plays I've ever seen were from Big John Henderson. I recall him picking a QB up by the head and then flinging him to the ground like a rag doll... I haven't seen a QB get rag-dolled like that until watching Mariota a couple of years ago.  On another play, the camera zoomed into a pile of players, and you could see Big John's big hand grabbing a helmet and just slamming it into the ground over and over. He was just a monster out there. Of note, Jurrell Casey for the Titans has some of that nasty in him too.
'02

Back on topic...

In my opinion, our 2016 NFL draft is/was one of the BEST drafts to date. Not to dispel Freddy-T and Double D but this draft has produced multiple play makers to say the least even though I feel that Jack isn't the right fit for our MLB position. Our 2019 NFL draft just may eclipse the 2016 NFL draft.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(07-03-2019, 04:46 PM)Rico Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 03:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Do you remember how quick that play happened?

Yes.  Do you remember it?  It was a cheap hit and there was no reason to clothesline the receiver.  If you remember otherwise, you need to re-watch it.  He took three strides and clotheslined Ferguson and there was absolutely no reason for him to hit him that high.

I've been a fan and season  ticket holder since day one.  That play was embarrassing to me as a fan.  If that wasn't intentional, please tell me why he never tried to use his right arm.  It was a blatant clothesline.  A DB did that to one of our receivers and there would be a gigantic uproar.

You’d be very wrong about there being no reason....

There were several instances where receivers had big time alligator arms against us for a while.

(07-04-2019, 09:03 AM)nate Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:46 PM)Rico Wrote: Yes.  Do you remember it?  It was a cheap hit and there was no reason to clothesline the receiver.  If you remember otherwise, you need to re-watch it.  He took three strides and clotheslined Ferguson and there was absolutely no reason for him to hit him that high.

There were several instances where receivers had big time alligator arms against us for a while.

[Image: spt21leveled_12-21-2004_5A3BOHD.jpg]

[Image: 200.gif]

[Image: donovindarius.jpg?w=640]

I still remember that play. Pretty dirty. Glad it wasn't one of our guys for sure. The only other two plays I remember that were pretty dirty was J.J Redmond's hit on special team's on a guy trying to fair catch the ball (JDR gave him a pat on the back for that one BTW) and Courtney Brown (I think?) clearly gunning for Mark Brunell and aiming with his helmet well after he rolled out and threw a pass.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Darius did that to other WRs, he only stopped after he injured Ferguson.

He was "man of god" btw lol.

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2019, 01:15 PM by Caldrac.)

(07-04-2019, 10:18 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Darius did that to other WRs, he only stopped after he injured Ferguson.

He was "man of god" btw lol.

He's a cool cat off the field. I remember years ago he jumped on here and invited a bunch of us out for Bowling one night. Me and my family ran into him all the time around Southside when I was a kid. It was mostly at Publix here and there or at Golden Coral on Sunday's after Church. Really soft spoken and easy going in person. Completely different guy on the field though. LOL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-04-2019, 09:03 AM)nate Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:46 PM)Rico Wrote: Yes.  Do you remember it?  It was a cheap hit and there was no reason to clothesline the receiver.  If you remember otherwise, you need to re-watch it.  He took three strides and clotheslined Ferguson and there was absolutely no reason for him to hit him that high.

So he wouldn't have been able to accomplish that with a clean, hard, hit?

It was bull [BLEEP].  He could have permanently injured the guy and/or ended his career.  That's cool with you?

(07-04-2019, 09:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-04-2019, 09:03 AM)nate Wrote: You’d be very wrong about there being no reason....

[Image: spt21leveled_12-21-2004_5A3BOHD.jpg]

[Image: 200.gif]

[Image: donovindarius.jpg?w=640]

I still remember that play. Pretty dirty. Glad it wasn't one of our guys for sure. The only other two plays I remember that were pretty dirty was J.J Redmond's hit on special team's on a guy trying to fair catch the ball (JDR gave him a pat on the back for that one BTW) and Courtney Brown (I think?) clearly gunning for Mark Brunell and aiming with his helmet well after he rolled out and threw a pass.

I remember Greg Lloyd knocked Brunell 5 yards back.

(07-04-2019, 04:37 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 10:42 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: And I just remembered that the Jags traded a 3rd and 5th from 1995 draft for Mark Brunell.  Add to the calculus that the Jags got Buffalo's 1st round pick in 1998 for Rob Johnson (also drafted in 1995), with which the Jags drafted Fred Taylor, and you have the makings of one of the best draft days for ANY team.

I think Allen and Taylor are going to go down as steals, but I think the Jags will regret passing on Sternberger and Grier for Oliver and Q. Williams.  If Minshew actually achieves franchise status against the odds, the draft will be a success no matter what else happens to the rest of the class.

I hear you. It'll be interesting keeping track of Sternberger vs Oliver over the next few years.

I also have to admit that when the Jaguars passed on Grier I initially flipped out a little bit. It was like that insurance commercial where the guy breaks into a player's car, and the player says "WHAT!" But c'est la vie... Telvin forced their hand.

If Telvin were slated to play this year, I truly feel that our fourth overall pick would've been different but as you stated, our need overcame the desire at the position. Williams will do well though.

NH3...
"AZANE"