Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Flash mobs vandalizing stores

I'm fine with having a debate about which taxes are moral. I just don't really like to see people saying that "all taxation is theft," because it's rhetoric that starts to become gospel.

I hate the income tax, not because I'm taxed, but because the average person doesn't have to physically pay it. It is a shock when people first look at their pay check, but pretty soon, people don't even look at those numbers any more. If it were me, every citizen would get a bank account and taxes would be withdrawn to that account automatically, similarly to how it's done now. The citizens would collect interest on their tax money over the course of the year. At the end of the year, they'd get a receipt, line-item, for everything they paid taxes towards, showing exactly what they paid for it that year. Then they'd have to write a check to the IRS that comes out of that bank account. After they write the check, the bank can refund anything left over for the year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 02:30 PM by Caldrac.)

(07-12-2019, 07:47 AM)Last42min Wrote: I'm fine with having a debate about which taxes are moral. I just don't really like to see people saying that "all taxation is theft," because it's rhetoric that starts to become gospel.

I hate the income tax, not because I'm taxed, but because the average person doesn't have to physically pay it. It is a shock when people first look at their pay check, but pretty soon, people don't even look at those numbers any more. If it were me, every citizen would get a bank account and taxes would be withdrawn to that account automatically, similarly to how it's done now. The citizens would collect interest on their tax money over the course of the year. At the end of the year, they'd get a receipt, line-item, for everything they paid taxes towards, showing exactly what they paid for it that year. Then they'd have to write a check to the IRS that comes out of that bank account. After they write the check, the bank can refund anything left over for the year.

I like that idea. I know it'll probably never happen. But I genuinely wonder what would happen if society worked together here collectively to put in place a list of beliefs or areas where we all feel taxes should be provided for. Would morality balance out here for once? For the better? Jacque Fresco had a very lofty dream of the future for all of us. And I think most sensible people would have enjoyed his thoughts on how life should be lived and maintained.

If the public had more of a say in it. I think it would make us feel a little bit more better about giving up that dollar amount every month or year to good old Uncle Sam.

I don't mind paying my share of taxes. I just wish I could put it towards things that I actually cared for. Maybe I want to see my taxes go towards better public school systems for teachers and students, veterans who have long been neglected and need help, mental health awareness and mental health care in general. Maybe I want to see more of my taxes go towards fixing or developing the importance of having a strong family unit and foundation so it can potentially help educate those seeking to break a terrible family cycle of abandonment and fear. 

Instead of allowing God knows who to do whatever with it that they see fit. There's been quite a few articles about a [BLEEP] ton of tax dollars gone missing over the years. Somewhere to the tune of $21 trillion tax dollars just "lost" or "misplaced" between 1998 - 2015. 

And there's been reports of people abusing tax dollars for luxury type expenses, etc. That's absurd.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Yeah, I've tried to think of systems that are more "fair." I've tried before to start online think tanks with various message boards I visit, but most people would rather get hung up on differences than looking for solutions. If it's not a solution being offered by some politician or news agency, people typically reject or ignore it. It's odd to me.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM by americus 2.0.)

(07-12-2019, 12:13 AM)TJBender Wrote: Consumption tax.

Yep, went there again.

It's also worth noting that the amendment allowing income tax only happened because the US ran out of Louisiana Purchase land to sell.

You and I could preach this until pigs fly and the cows come home but no one will listen. Sadly.

I thought this was about vandalism and idiots running amok. 

Another thread hijacked.