Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Report: Jaguars signing Marcus Simms

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...cus-simms/

Sounds like we're not sitting pat at WR
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2019, 03:37 PM by Deacon.)

Seems like a good candidate for the "short leash" crew.

"...
He had off-field issues while in school, including a pair of DUIs and reported issues with the coaching staff
..."
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM by Captain_Caldwell.)

(07-10-2019, 03:27 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...cus-simms/

I like that we are picking up a wr. Interesting dude, definitely  has work cut out for him but maybe keenan can polish him up. Could learn from a vet like lee. Shows almost no effort to run block and when he tries, he gets out muscled and no technique. When covered, seems to give up on routes and slows down. Takes plays off when it’s not coming his way. For being describes as a deep threat, he certainly doesn’t have the top end speed and not very quick. I think I saw his 40 time was almost 4.5. But the man competes when the ball is coming his way. Hands are adequate but the system doesn’t require a lot of technique. Routes are basic but seems to resemble things that could be asked for him in this system with foles. Hes always looking to make guys miss and has a lot of wiggle and vision. Not tall, not strong, not fast but there is something there to like that’s hard to describe. He seems to have a great feel to when to make his cuts, when to sit in a soft spot, and break down the coverage. I can’ see why he would be under rated. I think he could make splash plays when put in the right situations until he can fully learn the techniques required at this level.

His highlight reel is impressive.  Let's see if he can make it, and if his game translates to the NFL.  Hopefully he's put his off field issues behind him.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Cole and Pryor's seats just got hotter. Simms' ability as a returner also hurts Michael Walker's chances in a big way.

I don't see him unseating anyone w/NFL experience. I don't even see him being ahead of Walker either. Simms is behind the eight ball w/respect to not knowing the playbook/system. Is he in shape? How many receivers do we have that's faster than he is? Lots of questions.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2019, 05:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Dude can definitely play.  He just needs to upload the Uber and Lyft apps.

Dang, Will Grier throws a nice deep ball from the looks of it on the highlight reel

Not surprised. They were at his workout “pro day” as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(07-10-2019, 03:52 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote:
(07-10-2019, 03:27 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...cus-simms/

I like that we are picking up a wr. Interesting dude, definitely  has work cut out for him but maybe keenan can polish him up. Could learn from a vet like lee. Shows almost no effort to run block and when he tries, he gets out muscled and no technique. When covered, seems to give up on routes and slows down. Takes plays off when it’s not coming his way. For being describes as a deep threat, he certainly doesn’t have the top end speed and not very quick. I think I saw his 40 time was almost 4.5. But the man competes when the ball is coming his way. Hands are adequate but the system doesn’t require a lot of technique. Routes are basic but seems to resemble things that could be asked for him in this system with foles. Hes always looking to make guys miss and has a lot of wiggle and vision. Not tall, not strong, not fast but there is something there to like that’s hard to describe. He seems to have a great feel to when to make his cuts, when to sit in a soft spot, and break down the coverage. I can’ see why he would be under rated. I think he could make splash plays when put in the right situations until he can fully learn the techniques required at this level.

So overall, a decent prospect
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(07-10-2019, 03:54 PM)FBT Wrote: His highlight reel is impressive.  Let's see if he can make it, and if his game translates to the NFL.  Hopefully he's put his off field issues behind him.

Will Grier was making some nice throws.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Kiss of death for Cole?
'02

(07-10-2019, 11:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Kiss of death for Cole?

Doubtful. He may make the practice squad, unless he shows flashes in his return game, probably a camp body/taking a flyer on him.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019, 06:42 AM by RicoTx.)

Why is it that you are so anxious to get rid of Cole?  Almost everybody that gets drafted or picked up, you make this comment.  Everything that I've read has Cole being very good in OTAs.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

This is the first time I can ever recall the Jaguars either drafting or someone from a supplemental draft. If we do sign him, I'm glad we were able to get him without having to surrender a draft choice, especially given his off field issues.

Speaking of which, I can only wonder how McCardell will coach this guy.

I can only assume he and the Jaguars brass generally are cognizant of his DUI arrests. Will he be tougher on him to get whatever substance issues in check, given his personal experience with R. Jay Soward?

As for Simms, I think his lack of experience in the offense has the potential to hurt him trying to make the team.

Having come aboard at such a late date, he is behind the other newcomers to the offense-to say nothing of roster incumbents who have experience going against NFL secondaries.

If he represents a talent upgrade at the position, I welcome him. I just hope he does not represent another WR with substance abuse/dependence issues.

We've had enough of them on the team to cover several franchises.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-11-2019, 06:42 AM)Rico Wrote:

Why is it that you are so anxious to get rid of Cole?  Almost everybody that gets drafted or picked up, you make this comment.  Everything that I've read has Cole being very good in OTAs.

It's easy to pick on Cole. For starters, he STUNK the second half of the season. Two, I give little credence to offseason underwear practice prior to training camp. Three, we're picking up additional WRs suggesting they're at least looking for more competition. So, if there's any chance for Marcus Simms to actually make the roster, who do you cut? You sure as heck aren't cutting Westbrook who is probably our best WR. Chark is a recent draft pick, and Conley is a big name free agent so they're safe. Lee they unfortunately can't cut with his contract so we're stuck with his sorry behind and will try to get the most of him since we have to roster him. I really don't think we're cutting Terrell Pryor who actually gives us some a legit red zone threat. Cole is like the one guy we can easily cut unless he seriously shows up in games this Preseason. 
'02

(07-11-2019, 12:25 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 06:42 AM)Rico Wrote: Why is it that you are so anxious to get rid of Cole?  Almost everybody that gets drafted or picked up, you make this comment.  Everything that I've read has Cole being very good in OTAs.

It's easy to pick on Cole. For starters, he STUNK the second half of the season. Two, I give little credence to offseason underwear practice prior to training camp. Three, we're picking up additional WRs suggesting they're at least looking for more competition. So, if there's any chance for Marcus Simms to actually make the roster, who do you cut? You sure as heck aren't cutting Westbrook who is probably our best WR. Chark is a recent draft pick, and Conley is a big name free agent so they're safe. Lee they unfortunately can't cut with his contract so we're stuck with his sorry behind and will try to get the most of him since we have to roster him. I really don't think we're cutting Terrell Pryor who actually gives us some a legit red zone threat. Cole is like the one guy we can easily cut unless he seriously shows up in games this Preseason. 

So underwear practice is not an indicator for Cole but zero underwear practice or college performances do matter for every UFA pickup?  Then you say Cole stunk yet you want to disregard how badly Pryor sucked outside of one year with Cleveland three years ago.  Hell, he couldn't even play in New York or Buffalo.  Legit red zone threat?  Pffft...the guy has 7 career touchdown catches and I would wager that at least half of those were not in the red zone.

Giants probably should have cut Tiki Barber by your logic.  He sucked for three years.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Westbrook, Chark, and Conley are our dudes.... so signings like this are great insurance for the possibility of Lee not being ready and also competition is great for the depth.

I see this guy being a PS stash, he has no takers in the supplemental draft so I doubt he'll be poached, unless a team starts hurting health-wise at the position.

I like his ability... and like others here, am loving the Grier highlights lol
Woulda, shoulda, coulda....

His PR/KR experience was likely a big factor in this signing.

(07-12-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: His PR/KR experience was likely a big factor in this signing.

It depends on which year you focus on. 2017 he was pretty solid on kick returns. Last year he didn't really do too much of that. He got lost in the shuffle up there behind Sills and Jennings. Still had a pretty decent year though receiving wise. I really like his open field ability and RAC ability from those highlights though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-12-2019, 03:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: His PR/KR experience was likely a big factor in this signing.

I think so as well. Especially if Westbrook and Chark are to assume a bigger role on offense.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."