Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN ranks Jags as worst offense weapons for 2019

(07-11-2019, 06:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 05:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’ve been saying this all offseason. They better find a WR that can go make a play.

We’re right back where we were when Jimmy Smith retired, Blackmon was suspended, and Hurns and Arob left town.

Name wise I agree with you on this line of thinking. However, Foles will hopefully be able to carry over his 72.3% completion percentage from last year with the Eagles. In comparison to Bortles' 60.3% completion percentage from last year. I also believe Flip's offensive philosophy and approach will be more about shorter, timing routes and rhythm Vs. 5 step drops and deep shots. 

We may see more output this year from the WR position. But the TE group will more than likely carry a little bit more on their shoulders in the passing game which will be fun to see. Westbrook and Lee could be better with Foles than we've ever seen them with Bortles. This offensive system might actually work better to their skill sets as well. 

If Cole can start catching again he's another guy to watch out for. And Chark is really a wildcard in all of this. I'am trying to be as optimistic as I can while being realistic about the roster. I just hope Foles doesn't end up being another waste of time that ends up laying a huge egg for this franchise. Because if he does lay that egg up this year it's fixing to be spring cleaning time next year in 2020 for a lot of folks in that building.

I've been hard on Foles due to this FO making head scratching decisions off and on.  Foles is going to be himself, which i believe is average to above average.  The OC we have now, Flip, should be night and day from what we had before.  I dont care if karl malone was at QB, the previous OC should've called an NFL caliber offense and let the cards fall where they may.  He repeatedly kept trying to beat a dead horse and make things up as he went along as to why the offense wasnt working how he expected it to.  If we can actually do what the greats do, and mix up the quick throws, TE looks, and deep passes, we should look alot better this year.  As i've said before, I have my popcorn ready hoping for the best
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's an opinion, but the ESPN writer is right or very close in his ranking. Hopefully, the "potential" shines this year and the offense becomes productive.

if Bortles was our QB then I could understand where he's coming from. But Foles is the difference maker

(07-12-2019, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: if Bortles was our QB then I could understand where he's coming from.  But Foles is the difference maker

If he stays upright.  This team has blown it on the offensive side of the ball for as long as I can remember.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM by Caldrac.)

(07-12-2019, 09:38 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 06:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Name wise I agree with you on this line of thinking. However, Foles will hopefully be able to carry over his 72.3% completion percentage from last year with the Eagles. In comparison to Bortles' 60.3% completion percentage from last year. I also believe Flip's offensive philosophy and approach will be more about shorter, timing routes and rhythm Vs. 5 step drops and deep shots. 

We may see more output this year from the WR position. But the TE group will more than likely carry a little bit more on their shoulders in the passing game which will be fun to see. Westbrook and Lee could be better with Foles than we've ever seen them with Bortles. This offensive system might actually work better to their skill sets as well. 

If Cole can start catching again he's another guy to watch out for. And Chark is really a wildcard in all of this. I'am trying to be as optimistic as I can while being realistic about the roster. I just hope Foles doesn't end up being another waste of time that ends up laying a huge egg for this franchise. Because if he does lay that egg up this year it's fixing to be spring cleaning time next year in 2020 for a lot of folks in that building.

I've been hard on Foles due to this FO making head scratching decisions off and on.  Foles is going to be himself, which i believe is average to above average.  The OC we have now, Flip, should be night and day from what we had before.  I dont care if karl malone was at QB, the previous OC should've called an NFL caliber offense and let the cards fall where they may.  He repeatedly kept trying to beat a dead horse and make things up as he went along as to why the offense wasnt working how he expected it to.  If we can actually do what the greats do, and mix up the quick throws, TE looks, and deep passes, we should look alot better this year.  As i've said before, I have my popcorn ready hoping for the best

Agreed. That's all we can do as fans. I will remain as optimistic as humanly possible with this team. If this defense can maintain it's level of play from 2017 - 2018 (minus the miscues and blown assignments here and there last year) they really don't need this offense to be a world beater. 

It just needs to be efficient and effective enough to make the plays that are needed to win in critical situations that could chew up the clock or clinch it with a field goal. We know this team shouldn't need 28 points on average to win some games this year. They could potentially get by with anywhere between 17 - 21 points per game depending on the opponent.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Of all of the fools errands to run down during the dead zone - trying to “rank” something so unquantifiable has got to be one of the silliest.

(07-12-2019, 11:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Of all of the fools errands to run down during the dead zone - trying to “rank” something so unquantifiable has got to be one of the silliest.

Agreed. It's all a crapshoot before the pads are even on and the rounds are live. I think this team may end up pleasantly surprising the NFL this year on offense. I could see Foles even bailing out this defense late in a game or two as well.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-12-2019, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: if Bortles was our QB then I could understand where he's coming from.  But Foles is the difference maker

they aren't including qb or scheme

If the point is that the skill positions have to stay healthy and we're still completely unproven at WR, I get where they're coming from. But there's talent at every position except maybe TE although people seem really jazzed about Oliver. I would say they're in the top 3rd talent-wise and have the ability to break into the top 10 provided Fournette stays healthy and plays like he's got something to prove.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Truth be told we don't have any weapons on paper.  Lets see how it works out.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I don't know about dead last, but definitely bottom tier. Average RB, way below average WRs, and probably the worst TE corps.

(07-11-2019, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 12:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Rightfully so. For all the homers, please name 5 teams that have less offensive talent than the jags.

1. Miami
2. Arizona
3. Buffalo
4. New York - Jets
5. Washington

Those were statistically the five least effective teams last year on offense. We were ranked 27th. Now, all homerism aside. Those teams improved this off season, at least on paper or through experience and growth. But they're also looking at a lot of rookies to fix their issues on offense. And they're also relying on some coaching changes as well. 

I think we could be better in 2019. I cited in my original post. I don't disagree with ESPN completely. But I have a hard time saying we're dead last considering Foles should be an improvement at the QB position and he's being paired with a familiar face to gameplan with on a weekly basis with Flip in the building. 

Miami is relying on Rosen and a new HC.
Arizona is relying on Murray and a new HC.
Buffalo is relying on a 2nd year player at QB and 2nd year HC.
New York is relying on a 2nd year player at QB and a new HC. 
Washington is relying on Haskins and maybe Gruden can make it work. 

There's plenty of reasons to be optimistic about this offense. More than those teams I listed above in my honest opinion. But we really don't know how this will look until they actually get out on the field and start taking actual snaps against opponents suited up, etc.
Lets see here.

I would take Murray and his upside over Foles. David Johnson is miles better than Fournette. Kirk and Fitz are better than any WR the Jags have. Not to mention Butler and Isabella have upside.

Yea. Arizona better. Jets have Bell, Herndon, Crowder and the very underrated Robby Anderson.

I think Miami is the worst btw.

Jag fan is funny. We've been beaten so low it's like we're terrified to admit there's any talent anywhere on this team. I guess only time will change those perceptions.

(07-12-2019, 09:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Miami
2. Arizona
3. Buffalo
4. New York - Jets
5. Washington

Those were statistically the five least effective teams last year on offense. We were ranked 27th. Now, all homerism aside. Those teams improved this off season, at least on paper or through experience and growth. But they're also looking at a lot of rookies to fix their issues on offense. And they're also relying on some coaching changes as well. 

I think we could be better in 2019. I cited in my original post. I don't disagree with ESPN completely. But I have a hard time saying we're dead last considering Foles should be an improvement at the QB position and he's being paired with a familiar face to gameplan with on a weekly basis with Flip in the building. 

There's plenty of reasons to be optimistic about this offense. More than those teams I listed above in my honest opinion. But we really don't know how this will look until they actually get out on the field and start taking actual snaps against opponents suited up, etc.
Lets see here.

I would take Murray and his upside over Foles. David Johnson is miles better than Fournette. Kirk and Fitz are better than any WR the Jags have. Not to mention Butler and Isabella have upside.

Yea. Arizona better. Jets have Bell, Herndon, Crowder and the very underrated Robby Anderson.

I think Miami is the worst btw.
I'll admit I was a major fan of what Arizona pulled off during the draft. But that offensive line is pretty bad. I do worry for Murray behind that line.

The Jets could leap with Gase. He might be able to elevate Darnold. Bell should be solid. But he's not in Pittsburgh anymore. And that could spell 8 man fronts for him if Darnold can't throw them out of a jam.

Miami is... Miami. I agree with you. They stand to nosedive the most this year. At least on paper they do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2019, 01:49 AM by JackCity.)

I'd happily take the Jets skill positions, better RB, better WRs , better TE

(07-12-2019, 09:49 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Jag fan is funny. We've been beaten so low it's like we're terrified to admit there's any talent anywhere on this team. I guess only time will change those perceptions.

There's definitely talent, just a lot of teams have talent, and most are better equipped than the Jags at the offensive skill positions

(07-12-2019, 09:49 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Jag fan is funny. We've been beaten so low it's like we're terrified to admit there's any talent anywhere on this team. I guess only time will change those perceptions.
Well that talent hasn’t amounted to anything.

Fournette can’t get above 4 yards a carry. Cole, Lee, Chark, Conley and Westbrook have proven.... what exactly? And the TE spot may be the weakest in the league until proven otherwise.

They have some talented players but they haven’t proven a single thing at this point. I’m optimistic they can do some good things but they gotta actually do something first.

(07-13-2019, 11:51 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Well that talent hasn’t amounted to anything.

Fournette can’t get above 4 yards a carry. Cole, Lee, Chark, Conley and Westbrook have proven.... what exactly? And the TE spot may be the weakest in the league until proven otherwise.

They have some talented players but they haven’t proven a single thing at this point. I’m optimistic they can do some good things but they gotta actually do something first.

Proving otherwise? As long as you don't count getting within a few minutes of the Superbowl in 2017 as proving anything and would anyone really argue that Hurns is better than Westbrook or Lewis is a better pass catcher than Oliver? I know last year sucked but the injury factor, the over-confidence of the defense, and the inconsistent play at the QB and RB positions have nothing to do with the talent of the offense. I guess you could expect all those factors to play into 2019, like I said Jag Fan has learned to be a pessimist but I see that as unlikely.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2019, 10:38 AM by Caldrac.)

(07-14-2019, 07:28 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 11:51 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well that talent hasn’t amounted to anything.

Proving otherwise? As long as you don't count getting within a few minutes of the Superbowl in 2017 as proving anything and would anyone really argue that Hurns is better than Westbrook or Lewis is a better pass catcher than Oliver? I know last year sucked but the injury factor, the over-confidence of the defense, and the inconsistent play at the QB and RB positions have nothing to do with the capabilities of the offense. I guess you could expect all those factors to play into 2019, like I said Jag Fan has learned to be a pessimist but I see that as unlikely.

The more I look back on 2017. The more I realize this team caught a [BLEEP] load of breaks. The entire division that year at the QB position was either plagued with injuries or lacked overall experience to overtake this defense. But we also saw an extraordinary amount of efforts and creativity being made on special teams with trickery to keep the defense off the field longer and to keep the clock running. 

Bortles didn't have to do too much to win that year. Fournette missed a few games but the games he did play he seemed to make a lot of difference in keeping the opponents on their toes and honest. We did indeed see a lot of injuries last year on offense. Lee was a huge blow. Linder failing to finish yet another full season as a Jaguar, Norwell's injuries along with Robinson missing out hurt us tremendously. 

Then Fournette's constant nagging injuries set us back further. Grant's lis franc injury hurt too. After that loss in Kansas City and Dallas you could slowly see the morale dwindle. All the hype was there after we smacked the Patriots down at home and that was that for the rest of the year. 

I think we'll be better in 2019 on offense. Foles is more accurate. He's working with a familiar coach in Flip. I think the TE position will be the ultimate difference this year for this football team. It just seems to be leaning that way based on Foles and Flip's history on offense with that position in particular. We'll see.

(07-11-2019, 12:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 12:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Rightfully so. For all the homers, please name 5 teams that have less offensive talent than the jags.

1. Miami
2. Arizona
3. Buffalo
4. New York - Jets
5. Washington

Quarterback and scheme are not factors in these rankings, he states that in the article. As far as just offensive weapons goes we are probably last. Definitley bottom 3.

(07-14-2019, 07:28 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-13-2019, 11:51 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Well that talent hasn’t amounted to anything.

Proving otherwise? As long as you don't count getting within a few minutes of the Superbowl in 2017 as proving anything and would anyone really argue that Hurns is better than Westbrook or Lewis is a better pass catcher than Oliver? I know last year sucked but the injury factor, the over-confidence of the defense, and the inconsistent play at the QB and RB positions have nothing to do with the talent of the offense. I guess you could expect all those factors to play into 2019, like I said Jag Fan has learned to be a pessimist but I see that as unlikely.

I mean, to be clear, i want us to succeed.  I think the change at OC and QB will do positive things on offense.  This Defense can brawl with the best of them and offense just needs to be average and consistent.  There isn't any one team, in our division, that i feel fear of playing.  We should take this division and then the rest is up in the air.  My concerns are mainly the passing game, being up to par with the league norm since things have changed over the years.  We should be easily moving the ball through the air with the current rules in place.  Fournette needs to show up, of course, but we should be a well balanced attack with a top tier defense to hold firm.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.