Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ESPN ranks Jags as worst offense weapons for 2019

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2715...-1-ranking

Dead last, which I disagree with.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

ESPN bashing the Jaguars?

Whoda thunk it?!?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-11-2019, 08:39 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2715...-1-ranking

Dead last, which I disagree with.

LOL...new quarterback, new offense, and anybody knows how good they're going to be?

Please.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

ESPN is all about ratings, so they will slant everything towards the bigger markets.

The ESPN??

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

I’d put ‘em just under middle of the pack - but there is no way to know till we see what Flip and Foles are really able to do.

Wait and see.

There's valid concerns with this offense. I agree with a lot of their obvious points though. Mostly at the WR position.

Lee is coming off an ACL injury. Cole regressed tremendously in his 2nd year. Westbrook was the only consistent option we had. Chark had little to no impact as a rookie. And we added a few players during free agency that may or may not pan out. A lot of it falls on Foles' shoulders and Flip's abilities to figure out how to make this all work on paper.

Fournette HAS the abilities and potential to be a game changing back in the NFL. He's shown enough flashes here and there to make that fairly apparent. But can he stay healthy and physically hold up long enough to allow us to win enough games? He's yet to prove that. And the depth behind him? That's a concern of mine.

I honestly feel that the TE position will be improved simply because it's a staple in Flip's offensive approach and Foles was utilizing that position effectively during his tenure with the Eagles. Between O'Shaugnessy, Oliver & Swaim I believe they'll be able to make things happen and I expect it to take over much of the passing game approach wise. It could ultimately be the "unsung hero" for this team by the time we make it to week 17.

The offensive line is yet another concern. Linder has yet to play a full 16 game season here in Jacksonville. Norwell didn't hold up physically and was a bit of a let down considering the signing. Robinson has to hold up at LT. Taylor has to play well at RT, which I think he has the capacity to do so as a rookie. There's just a lot of glaring concerns still that we really won't be able to predict or get a feel for until pre season starts in a month's time.

Would I say we're DEAD LAST offensively when it comes to weapons? I don't know. That's a stretch. Would I say it's just below middle of the pack? Yes. I would say that until the wheels start turning.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

In all seriousness, while our WR and TE core has potential, most other teams have much better and consistent players at that position.

Also, I'm not certain Fournette's 439 years in 2018 is boosting any confidence from those not wearing teal glasses.

New QB
Injured RB
Rookie TE
Young and Hurt WRs
Young and Hurt OL

What's there not to love about our offense.

Rightfully so. For all the homers, please name 5 teams that have less offensive talent than the jags.

(07-11-2019, 12:28 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Rightfully so. For all the homers, please name 5 teams that have less offensive talent than the jags.

1. Miami
2. Arizona
3. Buffalo
4. New York - Jets
5. Washington

Those were statistically the five least effective teams last year on offense. We were ranked 27th. Now, all homerism aside. Those teams improved this off season, at least on paper or through experience and growth. But they're also looking at a lot of rookies to fix their issues on offense. And they're also relying on some coaching changes as well. 

I think we could be better in 2019. I cited in my original post. I don't disagree with ESPN completely. But I have a hard time saying we're dead last considering Foles should be an improvement at the QB position and he's being paired with a familiar face to gameplan with on a weekly basis with Flip in the building. 

Miami is relying on Rosen and a new HC.
Arizona is relying on Murray and a new HC.
Buffalo is relying on a 2nd year player at QB and 2nd year HC.
New York is relying on a 2nd year player at QB and a new HC. 
Washington is relying on Haskins and maybe Gruden can make it work. 

There's plenty of reasons to be optimistic about this offense. More than those teams I listed above in my honest opinion. But we really don't know how this will look until they actually get out on the field and start taking actual snaps against opponents suited up, etc.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Jags are the most unproven. We won't know how bad or good they are until after this season.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(07-11-2019, 12:58 PM)Dimson Wrote: Jags are the most unproven. We won't know how bad or good they are until after this season.

Well, hopefully we can start forming more educated opinions on the state of the offense before the season ends.  In fact, I'll bet a large number of us will have our minds fully made up after the first game, if not by halftime.

(07-11-2019, 02:29 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(07-11-2019, 12:58 PM)Dimson Wrote: Jags are the most unproven. We won't know how bad or good they are until after this season.

Well, hopefully we can start forming more educated opinions on the state of the offense before the season ends.  In fact, I'll bet a large number of us will have our minds fully made up after the first game, if not by halftime.

Indeed. The Armchair Aerial Assault Coordinators and Beer Chuggin' Bruisers will know precisely how this offense should operate by the opening kick-off during preseason.

The offensive line, with the injuries, was the biggest problem last year. Hard to judge the rest of the offense, when at times the defense was in the backfield before the quarterback completed his drop back. I believe that was the one of worst offensive line performances in the history of the franchise. So all the gloom and doom predictions are a little premature in my opinion.

I’ve been saying this all offseason. They better find a WR that can go make a play.

We’re right back where we were when Jimmy Smith retired, Blackmon was suspended, and Hurns and Arob left town.

You can make arguments for several of those teams being the worst skill position wise, I don't think the Jags are dead last but almost certainly bottom 6 or 7

(07-11-2019, 05:35 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’ve been saying this all offseason. They better find a WR that can go make a play.

We’re right back where we were when Jimmy Smith retired, Blackmon was suspended, and Hurns and Arob left town.

Name wise I agree with you on this line of thinking. However, Foles will hopefully be able to carry over his 72.3% completion percentage from last year with the Eagles. In comparison to Bortles' 60.3% completion percentage from last year. I also believe Flip's offensive philosophy and approach will be more about shorter, timing routes and rhythm Vs. 5 step drops and deep shots. 

We may see more output this year from the WR position. But the TE group will more than likely carry a little bit more on their shoulders in the passing game which will be fun to see. Westbrook and Lee could be better with Foles than we've ever seen them with Bortles. This offensive system might actually work better to their skill sets as well. 

If Cole can start catching again he's another guy to watch out for. And Chark is really a wildcard in all of this. I'am trying to be as optimistic as I can while being realistic about the roster. I just hope Foles doesn't end up being another waste of time that ends up laying a huge egg for this franchise. Because if he does lay that egg up this year it's fixing to be spring cleaning time next year in 2020 for a lot of folks in that building.

I think we’ve gotta go make a Amari Cooper type of trade like Dallas did last year.

We can’t seriously pay all that loot to Foles and give him Conley, Chark, Lee, and Pryor, with Westbrook.

I know it’s far fetched and probably impossible but man I would love a proven WR that can stretch the defense out.

Someone should save us and post a link to somebody praising us again. It'll balance it out.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.