Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't be surprised this season

(07-15-2019, 09:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 10:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I can't speak for the Wolfster but I think you could look at the defense and have valid concerns. 

Starting with the back end at FS and SS. No more Church. No more Gipson. That's a lot to ask of Harrison as a 2nd year player who finished on IR and Wilson who has very limited starting experience. Ramsey, Bouye and Hayden should keep the CB positions competent at a high level and could make everyone's job's easier. But if one of them misses any action? The burden falls back on Harrison and Wilson. 

Move up a bit to the linebackers. You have, again, limited starting experience here now with Myles Jack holding it down in the middle and going into this year with no Telvin Smith. This leaves Quincy Williams and Jacobs along with a few other journeyman here to fill the outside positions. Could be some learning curves and growing pains there this year. 

Along the trenches? Campbell, Ngakoue and Dareus are fairly consistent. We know what to expect from those guys. Bryan needs to step it up inside now. Jones needs to showcase more abilities this year coming off of only 6 starts from last year and Josh Allen seems hopeful at this time as a rookie. 

There's plenty of room for error this year on defense. Will we see a catastrophic backslide in production? I don't personally think so. I think on paper the schedule does have some fairly strong opponents offensively though. And a lot of these rookies and 2nd year guys are going to get picked on early and often.

Well if you want to find things to worry about, sure.   You're a lot like my mother.   She worries a lot about everything.  

But the actuality is, the players we have lost from our defense were not our best players.  We lost some average players who had really good surrounding teammates who made them look good.    Church, Gipson, and Smith were not our best players.  Our best players are Ngakoue, Campbell, Ramsey, Bouye, and Dareus.  All of those players are still there.  Plus, we've added Josh Allen, arguably the best defensive player in the entire draft.  

Also, I have to emphasize very strongly how much an improved offense will help our defense, by keeping them off the field and putting them in much better situations. 

So, worry all you want about our defense.  I'm not worried.  Not even slightly.

I don't really have too many concerns. Despite everything that I mentioned earlier I have been saying all along that I still expect this team to finish in the top 10 at the minimum on defense and that it's possible they either win the division as a 4th seed or at least clinch the 6th seed in the AFC this year. 

I like putting myself on both sides of the argument. Happy medium I suppose. I think despite all of the inexperience on the defense starting this year that they'll be able to overcome a lot of that by leaning on all of those great players you mentioned above. I was mostly making an argument or case for Wolfie here. 

Because that's honestly what you'll hear from most of the local pundits and/or outside critics. I did the same exact thing in the other thread about ESPN's rankings with our offensive skill positions. I made a case for and against each side of the argument while leaning towards being personally optimistic about the direction they're going in with Foles and Flip.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-15-2019, 11:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well if you want to find things to worry about, sure.   You're a lot like my mother.   She worries a lot about everything.  

But the actuality is, the players we have lost from our defense were not our best players.  We lost some average players who had really good surrounding teammates who made them look good.    Church, Gipson, and Smith were not our best players.  Our best players are Ngakoue, Campbell, Ramsey, Bouye, and Dareus.  All of those players are still there.  Plus, we've added Josh Allen, arguably the best defensive player in the entire draft.  

Also, I have to emphasize very strongly how much an improved offense will help our defense, by keeping them off the field and putting them in much better situations. 

So, worry all you want about our defense.  I'm not worried.  Not even slightly.

I don't really have too many concerns. Despite everything that I mentioned earlier I have been saying all along that I still expect this team to finish in the top 10 at the minimum on defense and that it's possible they either win the division as a 4th seed or at least clinch the 6th seed in the AFC this year. 

I like putting myself on both sides of the argument. Happy medium I suppose. I think despite all of the inexperience on the defense starting this year that they'll be able to overcome a lot of that by leaning on all of those great players you mentioned above. I was mostly making an argument or case for Wolfie here. 

Because that's honestly what you'll hear from most of the local pundits and/or outside critics. I did the same exact thing in the other thread about ESPN's rankings with our offensive skill positions. I made a case for and against each side of the argument while leaning towards being personally optimistic about the direction they're going in with Foles and Flip.

Foles and Flip are great, and it is a huge upgrade at the most important position on offense, that is true, but don't forget, we are about to have a huge upgrade at the second most important position on offense- the offensive line- with the return of Robinson, Norwell, Linder, and the new RT, Jawaan Taylor.   By the time last season ended, we were playing mid-season street free agents on our offensive line, so if you think about it, the return of our injured starters could be a bigger upgrade than going from Bortles to Foles!

how are jags going to stop the run. we couldn't stop the run with telvin smith playing last season. derrik henery ran all over us,and so did other teams after that game. I'm just saying if a team has a top rb our defense is in trouble.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(07-15-2019, 03:16 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: how are jags going to stop the run. we couldn't stop the run with telvin smith playing last season. derrik henery ran all over us,and so did other teams after that game. I'm just saying if a team has a top rb our defense is in trouble.

We finished 19th against the run. Not perfect by any means. But a good offense is a smart defense for us in 2019. We'll stop our opponents run by running it more effectively on our end and keeping the defense rested on the sideline. 

It'll be alright bubba! And it's the tacks.. they kind of always get us here and there no matter how good our team looks on paper or against other opponents. Don't sweat it! 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-15-2019, 03:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 03:16 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: how are jags going to stop the run. we couldn't stop the run with telvin smith playing last season. derrik henery ran all over us,and so did other teams after that game. I'm just saying if a team has a top rb our defense is in trouble.

We finished 19th against the run. Not perfect by any means. But a good offense is a smart defense for us in 2019. We'll stop our opponents run by running it more effectively on our end and keeping the defense rested on the sideline. 

It'll be alright bubba! And it's the tacks.. they kind of always get us here and there no matter how good our team looks on paper or against other opponents. Don't sweat it! 

[Image: giphy.gif]

Fixed for accuracy

(07-15-2019, 02:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 11:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't really have too many concerns. Despite everything that I mentioned earlier I have been saying all along that I still expect this team to finish in the top 10 at the minimum on defense and that it's possible they either win the division as a 4th seed or at least clinch the 6th seed in the AFC this year. 

Foles and Flip are great, and it is a huge upgrade at the most important position on offense, that is true, but don't forget, we are about to have a huge upgrade at the second most important position on offense- the offensive line- with the return of Robinson, Norwell, Linder, and the new RT, Jawaan Taylor.   By the time last season ended, we were playing mid-season street free agents on our offensive line, so if you think about it, the return of our injured starters could be a bigger upgrade than going from Bortles to Foles!

It's more likely than not the entire right side of our line is below average

Pls let's sign and keep Ngakoue

You dont have to stop the run when you're up by 14 points every game.  Cool
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The defense took a step back LAST year. Our secondary will be healthy again and then add Josh Allen and more experience in our front 7 I don't see what the big problem is other than no Telvin. To be honest there is room for improvement at his position anyways.. I'm looking forward to many homerun sacks by the D.
No pain, no gain.

(07-16-2019, 08:45 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: The defense took a step back LAST year. Our secondary will be healthy again and then add Josh Allen and more experience in our front 7 I don't see what the big problem is other than no Telvin. To be honest there is room for improvement at his position anyways.. I'm looking forward to many homerun sacks by the D.

The defense took a step back mainly because the offense was severely injured.  That left the defense on the field, facing opponents who didn't have to pass as much as they had to in 2017.   Our lack of offense left us behind, which meant the opponents could run the ball, and that is not the strength of this defense.  

I remember several games where it appeared that the defense just gave out from being on the field for so long.  

This is why I keep saying, the 2019 defense will look a lot more like the 2017 defense not because of anything special or different we do on defense, but because we will have a better offense.

(07-12-2019, 05:59 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 04:47 PM)NH3 Wrote: When the offense improves the defense has...

I'd still go with "if". There's a lot to prove yet.

The offense has already improved. 

OC (Devised an system catered to his QB's strengths)
QB (Better passer, better commander)
OL (Healthy and new RT)
RB (Healthy and better depth)
TE (Better pass catcher)
WR (Much needed experience/Better Red Zone  threat)

Overall we've definately gotten better.

NH3...
"AZANE"

i'm not so sure about the better depth at RB, but the rest i definitely agree with.
In Dougie I Trust!

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 11:25 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

Any news on Corey Grant in FA? I know he had the injury, but are we even considering bringing him back during training camp or anything? He shouldnt cost much and we could use a back that showed flashes for us already instead of the stable we have right now.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

We're no longer starting Malik Jackson who isn't exactly a run defender (but was a marvelous pass rusher!) and Telvin Smith who is undersized and had a down year. Our rush defense is far from my concern, if we struggle filling gaps at the second level then just insert Jake Ryan into the LB corps (strongside or middle) as he's a stellar run support linebacker that reminds me of a budlight Poz.

Wolfie your concerns are overblown, we'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot down the stretch so long as we start the season hot in the first 4 games.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-18-2019, 11:24 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Any news on Corey Grant in FA?  I know he had the injury, but are we even considering bringing him back during training camp or anything?  He shouldnt cost much and we could use a back that showed flashes for us already instead of the stable we have right now.

There is a thread on this. 

Checking out Grants social media, I see a guy that has zero intention of playing football in 2019.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 12:44 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(07-18-2019, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 11:24 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Any news on Corey Grant in FA?  I know he had the injury, but are we even considering bringing him back during training camp or anything?  He shouldnt cost much and we could use a back that showed flashes for us already instead of the stable we have right now.

There is a thread on this. 

Checking out Grants social media, I see a guy that has zero intention of playing football in 2019.

Didnt know, and if thats the case, cool beans.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-18-2019, 12:43 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 12:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There is a thread on this. 

Didnt know, and if thats the case, cool beans.
Here it is if you wish to peruse:

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=30821

[url=https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=30821][/url]

On topic: 

The only surprise for me this season would be if the defense does not return to something resembling their 2017 form.

(07-18-2019, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

On topic: 

The only surprise for me this season would be if the defense does not return to something resembling their 2017 form.

Failing to account for the entire team staying in London because the pubs are better than those in the states would be a surprise, too.

Gotta be ready for everything, NYC.

I remember in the 90s we were so nervous about Larry Johnson and how was our run defense going to hold up.

He ended the game with 5 yards rushing and 0 tds