Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't be surprised this season

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 06:01 PM by snowwolf776.)

this year jags defense will decline while we see improvement in the offensse. the defense will still be good enough at times to stop teams,but nothing like in 2017. 

the team will end up looking better overall.  the record is yet to be decided but jags will be a improved team on offensse this year.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2019, 02:38 PM by Caldrac.)

I hope this defense is god like enough at times as well to stop teams. That might be all we need this year.

I will say this defense still finishes in the top ten overall in the NFL. Potentially top five in the AFC alone.

I will say this offense finishes in the top sixteen overall in the NFL. Potentially top ten in the AFC alone.

And I think they'll manage a 9 - 7 or 10 - 6 record and sneak into the play-off's as either a week 17 division clinching 4th seed or at least a wild card earning 6th seed.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I’m good with god enough

(07-12-2019, 02:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’m good with god enough

This is why we need a like button.

(07-12-2019, 02:34 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: this year jags defense will decline while we see improvement in the offensse. the defense will still be god enough at times to stop teams,but nothing like in 2017. 

the team will end up looking better overall.  the record is yet to be decided but jags will be a improved team on offensse this year.

If the offense improves, I think the defense has a chance to be as good as they have the last two seasons just based on the fact that they probably won't be on the field as much and they still have enough talent to be elite.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-12-2019, 03:42 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 02:34 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: this year jags defense will decline while we see improvement in the offensse. the defense will still be god enough at times to stop teams,but nothing like in 2017. 

If the offense improves, I think the defense has a chance to be as good as they have the last two seasons just based on the fact that they probably won't be on the field as much and they still have enough talent to be elite.

When the offense improves the defense has...
"AZANE"

(07-12-2019, 03:02 PM)Kane Wrote:

This is why we need a like button.

lol.....i second this.  Best Comment Ever
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-12-2019, 04:47 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 03:42 PM)hb1148 Wrote: If the offense improves, I think the defense has a chance to be as good as they have the last two seasons just based on the fact that they probably won't be on the field as much and they still have enough talent to be elite.

When the offense improves the defense has...

I'd still go with "if". There's a lot to prove yet.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-12-2019, 03:42 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

That's a crucial point.  I totally agree.   Offensive improvement should help the defense massively.  Not just keeping the defense off the field, but also putting the other team in more situations where they have to pass, which plays to the strength of our defense- rushing the QB and covering the receivers.

Why would the defense decline with a much better offense? Just because?

I expect the defense to resemble 2017 much more than 2018 simply because the offense has the potential to actually score points thus creates leads leading to more pass rush opportunities etc etc etc...

I will be surprised if the defense suddenly sucks.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(07-14-2019, 08:18 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: Why would the defense decline with a much better offense?  Just because?

I expect the defense to resemble 2017 much more than  2018 simply because the offense has the potential to actually score points thus creates leads leading to more pass rush opportunities etc etc etc...

I can't speak for the Wolfster but I think you could look at the defense and have valid concerns. 

Starting with the back end at FS and SS. No more Church. No more Gipson. That's a lot to ask of Harrison as a 2nd year player who finished on IR and Wilson who has very limited starting experience. Ramsey, Bouye and Hayden should keep the CB positions competent at a high level and could make everyone's job's easier. But if one of them misses any action? The burden falls back on Harrison and Wilson. 

Move up a bit to the linebackers. You have, again, limited starting experience here now with Myles Jack holding it down in the middle and going into this year with no Telvin Smith. This leaves Quincy Williams and Jacobs along with a few other journeyman here to fill the outside positions. Could be some learning curves and growing pains there this year. 

Along the trenches? Campbell, Ngakoue and Dareus are fairly consistent. We know what to expect from those guys. Bryan needs to step it up inside now. Jones needs to showcase more abilities this year coming off of only 6 starts from last year and Josh Allen seems hopeful at this time as a rookie. 

There's plenty of room for error this year on defense. Will we see a catastrophic backslide in production? I don't personally think so. I think on paper the schedule does have some fairly strong opponents offensively though. And a lot of these rookies and 2nd year guys are going to get picked on early and often.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

[Image: 35mya5.jpg]
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Not be surprised at all if the offense is better rather expect that. The defense will be ok (we need to get ngoukwe signed). The defense could be the surprise as long as the lb situation works itself out imo.

This defense will finish the season top five in the league in multiple categories.

*don’t be surprised*

(07-14-2019, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This defense will finish the season top five in the league in multiple categories.

*don’t be surprised*

I'm leaning toward your assessment, but that all rides on the team signing  Ngakoue.  I am concerned that this may carry into training camp and maybe even the season. I am afraid the team will put a cap on about 18 mil a year and Yan is looking for 20 to 22 mil. That would leave the rookie to fill Yan's spot and that is a tall order. 

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 09:12 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Our defense will improve with a better offense that can move the chains and eat up some clock. Last year, our defense was exhausted from being on the field all game as our offense struggled to get 1st downs.

God is Good.

(07-15-2019, 09:11 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Our defense will improve with a better offense that can move the chains and eat up some clock.  Last year, our defense was exhausted from being on the field all game as our offense struggled to get 1st downs.

God is Good.
God Is Great, Beer is good, People are crazy.

(07-14-2019, 10:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-14-2019, 08:18 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: Why would the defense decline with a much better offense?  Just because?

I expect the defense to resemble 2017 much more than  2018 simply because the offense has the potential to actually score points thus creates leads leading to more pass rush opportunities etc etc etc...

I can't speak for the Wolfster but I think you could look at the defense and have valid concerns. 

Starting with the back end at FS and SS. No more Church. No more Gipson. That's a lot to ask of Harrison as a 2nd year player who finished on IR and Wilson who has very limited starting experience. Ramsey, Bouye and Hayden should keep the CB positions competent at a high level and could make everyone's job's easier. But if one of them misses any action? The burden falls back on Harrison and Wilson. 

Move up a bit to the linebackers. You have, again, limited starting experience here now with Myles Jack holding it down in the middle and going into this year with no Telvin Smith. This leaves Quincy Williams and Jacobs along with a few other journeyman here to fill the outside positions. Could be some learning curves and growing pains there this year. 

Along the trenches? Campbell, Ngakoue and Dareus are fairly consistent. We know what to expect from those guys. Bryan needs to step it up inside now. Jones needs to showcase more abilities this year coming off of only 6 starts from last year and Josh Allen seems hopeful at this time as a rookie. 

There's plenty of room for error this year on defense. Will we see a catastrophic backslide in production? I don't personally think so. I think on paper the schedule does have some fairly strong opponents offensively though. And a lot of these rookies and 2nd year guys are going to get picked on early and often.

Well if you want to find things to worry about, sure.   You're a lot like my mother.   She worries a lot about everything.  

But the actuality is, the players we have lost from our defense were not our best players.  We lost some average players who had really good surrounding teammates who made them look good.    Church, Gipson, and Smith were not our best players.  Our best players are Ngakoue, Campbell, Ramsey, Bouye, and Dareus.  All of those players are still there.  Plus, we've added Josh Allen, arguably the best defensive player in the entire draft.  

Also, I have to emphasize very strongly how much an improved offense will help our defense, by keeping them off the field and putting them in much better situations. 

So, worry all you want about our defense.  I'm not worried.  Not even slightly.

I agree with Marty. If the offense improves to the point that we are performing 5+ minute drives on a regular basis instead of our 90 second 3 & outs, the defense stays rested, and much more effective.

It's interconnected, the same way a great secondary makes those sack numbers start to stack up.

To Wolfie's point, the defense might not be 2017 Jags level, but that defensive team is, if not the best, then one of the best of the decade. It would be a high standard to reach.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-15-2019, 11:09 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: I agree with Marty.  If the offense improves to the point that we are performing 5+ minute drives on a regular basis instead of our 90 second 3 & outs, the defense stays rested, and much more effective.

It's interconnected, the same way a great secondary makes those sack numbers start to stack up.  

To Wolfie's point, the defense might not be 2017 Jags level, but that defensive team is, if not the best, then one of the best of the decade.  It would be a high standard to reach.

Even if our 2019 defense is not as good as our 2017 defense, statistically they could be much better, because they won't be out there all game long with the other team protecting a lead by running the ball down our throat.   If we are ahead in games, rather than behind, the other team will have to pass, and that plays right into our strengths- rushing the passer and covering the receivers.  Being ahead in games will allow us to unleash the pass rush.  

So, our 2019 defense, while qualitatively maybe or maybe not as good as 2017, statistically they will be much better, because of the offensive improvement.  Less time on the field, and better situations.   This is so obvious I don't see how anyone can argue with it.