Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 25 Jaguars

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019, 01:46 PM by SeldomRite.)

Taylor is a class act, clearly if the words are real they were meant as a joke.

As for whether he or Boselli were #1, I'd say they're #1-a and #1-1. I wouldn't say one was greater than the other, they're both hall of fame level players and we were privileged to have seen them both on the same team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-01-2019, 12:36 PM)Rico Wrote: How close are he and Boselli?  Is it possible that it was said tongue in cheek and misconstrued?  I know I hear Oesher and other guys giving Boselli crap from time to time.

He was legit mad about it.  I follow his twitter account. He went on and on for a couple hours yesterday.

As I said before, it would be hard for me to order the top 3 since I really liked watching all three play and I personally think all three should be in the NFL Hall of Fame.  My favorite all-time Jaguars player has always been Jimmy Smith, but Fred Taylor is right up there with him (my opinion).

I suspect since the media (if I understand correctly) voted on this they probably put Boselli as #1 since he has been a HOF candidate for the last few years.

Just my opinion, but I think Fred is off-base with his twitter tantrum.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Oh there's no doubt he should have been given consideration for #1 but damn man, to play it like that in public... Seems like he may still need some life coaching.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Boselli was easily the best.

Fred never made a pro bowl for a reason - there were other RBs in the league better at the time.

No one was ever better than Boselli. In the history of the entire NFL. Sorry Freddy.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019, 03:37 PM by dennisp3.)

(08-01-2019, 03:31 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Boselli was easily the best.

Fred never made a pro bowl for a reason - there were other RBs in the league better at the time.

No one was ever better than Boselli. In the history of the entire NFL. Sorry Freddy.

Sorry can't agree about Fred but Boselli was as good as any left tackle.

(08-01-2019, 03:35 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:

My bad I posted to the wrong comment. Yes, Fred was elite.

(08-01-2019, 03:35 PM)dennisp3 Wrote:

What's there not to agree with?

His rookie year Randy Moss blew away his numbers.

He never had a season where other AFC backs weren't clearly better. He just had the bad luck of being in the same time as LaDanian Tomlinson.

(08-01-2019, 03:37 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 03:35 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: Sorry can't agree about Fred but Boselli was as good as any left tackle.

What's there not to agree with?

His rookie year Randy Moss blew away his numbers.

He never had a season where other AFC backs weren't clearly better. He just had the bad luck of being in the same time as LaDanian Tomlinson.
I corrected my comment about Fred in the pryer post.

Taylor made the Pro Bowl in 2007.

Any list not having Tony Boselli at the #1 position should be rendered invalid. The guy may have had a short career, but he was the BEST LT in NFL history, IMO. I am old enough to have seen Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Walter Jones play. Yes, I am old. Boselli when healthy, was the best of them all and that's not me being a "homer." That's the honest truth. If I had to rank them, I'd have.....

1. Boselli
2. Jones
3. Munoz
4. Pace
5. Ogden

After Boselli, as far as the Jags, I'd have.......

1. Boselli
2. Taylor
3. Smith
4. Stroud
5. MJD
6. Brackens
7. Mathis
8. Campbell
9. McCardell
10. Brunell

(08-01-2019, 01:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 12:36 PM)Rico Wrote: How close are he and Boselli?  Is it possible that it was said tongue in cheek and misconstrued?  I know I hear Oesher and other guys giving Boselli crap from time to time.

He was legit mad about it.  I follow his twitter account. He went on and on for a couple hours yesterday.

I couldn't work out what angle he was coming from. If he feels under appreciated well you'd be hard pressed to find any jags fan from any era who doesn't think Freddie is at worst top 3 all time. If he feels underappreciated by the wider NFL and Jacksonville media then I understand it more but feel its more a product of so many great backs

(08-01-2019, 12:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 11:53 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Soooo nobody mentioned Fred Taylor's response? Keepin it classy..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...r-over-me/

I can understand his frustration.

He has been overlooked and underrated his entire career.

His rookie year saw him rush for over 1200 yards and score 17 TDs, which would have been sufficient for rookie of the year consideration most years.  But the year he came out, he went up against Randy Moss, who commanded all of the attention and media hype.

He is in the top twenty all time during an era where the running game began to wane in comparison to the running game, but doesn't get credit for that.

He was dogged most of his career by the whole "Fragile Fred" label.  Yet in a head to head comparison against a man whose career was just over half as long as his, but suddenly that doesn't matter in the analysis.

I cringe at his sentiment that Boselli being ranked over him is a joke for several reasons.  First, Boselli was a great player and should be in the hall of fame.  Secondly, much of Taylor's early success is attributable to Boselli and his dominant run blocking.  I think to the extent his response trashes Boselli-willingly or not-is most unfortunate and will earn him some consternation from observers.

But I can see why he would be frustrated given the things that transpired over his career.

I think either could have been named the best overall and most Jaguars fans wouldn't have a problem either way.

Perhaps to avoid hard feelings, just naming a top 25 team and not ranking the players would have been better.

But I love all those guys.
The fragile Fred was a direct result of Tom C downplaying the severity of his injury and as a result, many thought he should have been back playing when he never could have taken the field. I always respected Fred and his character was always above reproach.  I feel he has the right to his opinion and I don't see where he throw Tony under the bus. I do agree both players have played to a level that either could be put at number one and I would not expect Fred to agree with the results of the top 25. Tony and Fred have every right to believe they are number one.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2019, 05:26 PM by Firesky.)

Not only did he make a probowl in 2007 he was also a 2nd team all pro. There's a legit argument for Taylor, Bosselli, MJD and Smith as best all time Jag.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Boselli only played for five years.
It's pretty impressive that Fred was the second or third best RB in the league for 10 years running, while the guys who were better than him over those years came and went.  
You can't really solve which is better.
Do you value a single season performance, or many seasons?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-03-2019, 07:50 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Boselli only played for five years.
It's pretty impressive that Fred was the second or third best RB in the league for 10 years running, while the guys who were better than him over those years came and went.  

In those 5 years he was the best LT in NFL history.

Fred Taylor doesn't even break top 20 in NFL history.

I love me some Freddy T and his cutbacks were a thing of beauty... but let's be real... no one else will remember Fred Taylor in 20 years.

(08-06-2019, 03:45 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 07:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Boselli only played for five years.

In those 5 years he was the best LT in NFL history.

Fred Taylor doesn't even break top 20 in NFL history.

I love me some Freddy T and his cutbacks were a thing of beauty... but let's be real... no one else will remember Fred Taylor in 20 years.

I’ll remember him in 40 years. So will every person in the world that watches football in the late 90’s. 

At his position it could be debated that Taylor is a top 20 RB of all time. Especially if you break it down by the number of games played. 

Man he gave everybody else a 55 game head start and still retired as the 17th all time in rushing yards.

He just happened to play in an era where there were guys like Shaun Alexander, Preist Holmes, LT, Edgerrin James, Jerome Bettis, Larry Johnson, Corey Dillion, Ricky Williams, Robert Smith, Emmitt Smith, Brian Westbrook, etc.

Holmes had the best 3 year stretch of any RB. Smith was the all time record holder. Alexander scored 28 TDs in a season and LT followed that up with 29. Dillion was all the Bungals had.

Man Taylor would have been ranked in the Top 3 if he didn’t miss all of those games.