Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 25 Jaguars

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019, 08:39 AM by Caldrac.)

(07-20-2019, 05:04 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 06:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Fred Taylor
2. Jimmy Smith
3. Keenan McCardell
4. Tony Boselli
5. Mark Brunell
6. Maurice Jones-Drew
7. Tony Brackens
8. John Henderson
9. Marcus Stroud
10. Donovin Darius
11. Rashean Mathis
12. Jalen Ramsey
13. Aaron Beasley
14. Mike Peterson
15. Daryl Smith
16. Calais Campbell
17. Brad Meester
18. Yannick Ngakoue
19. Greg Jones
20. Mike Hollis
21. Josh Scobee
22. A.J Bouye
23. Paul Posluszny
24. David Garrard
25. Rob Meier

I based my list just on memories. I know I'll catch [BLEEP] for not having a TE like Brady or Lewis on here. Or maybe for not listing Leon Searcy. But I based it on personal recollection. These 25 stand out for memorable plays, good years on good teams, longevity, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I like your list.

Campbell, Bouye, Yannick, and Ramsey are already some of the best Jags of all time.

I like that you put Hollis and Scobee. I actually had Barker on my list but took him off.

One question though...Can we switch Kevin Hardy for Garrard on your list?

I just don't remember enough of him personally. By the time I was old enough to truly comprehend the game the best linebackers that I took notice to were guys like Mike Peterson, Daryl Smith and Paul Posluszny. Daryl Smith is probably one of the most underrated players we ever had here in Jacksonville. 

I was tempted to put Telvin Smith up there at the 25th spot but after how everything has shaked out between last year and this off season I couldn't do it. Garrard for me stands out more since I was a bit younger and I remember those Steelers games. I also felt horrible for him. 

Garrard had so much potential. He really was Coughlin's parting gift in a way to this team. Had Jack Del Rio and James Harris just relaxed and waited it out another year or two with Brunell instead of running up to the podium for Byron Leftwich we could have seen Garrard develop into a better passer at this level. They never gave him a fair chance. 

I remember him playing in mop up duties in a loss up in Indy his rookie year and he was so strong that a defender tore a piece of his jersey off of him as he broke away and scampered downfield for what looked like 20+ yards with ease. I know we labeled him "Captain Checkdown" here for awhile. But after the slew of turnovers we had to endure with Bortles and the ineffectiveness of Henne and Gabbert prior to Bortles?

Captain Checkdown looked like Captain America in a short amount of time. I also enjoy his story. Losing his mother to breast cancer, then dealing with Chron's Disease, dealing with his weight loss and coming back to play for us. I'll always have a special place for underdog's like that in my heart. Garrard was awesome. Still is awesome.

Two things always bothered me about this franchise over the years.

1. David Garrard's release from this team under Gene Smith
2. Fred Taylor's release from this team under Gene Smith
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Did they really put Meester as the 13th best player in team history????

I would take the entire 2017 defense over him. 13th? Really? Lol

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM by Caldrac.)

I have Meester ranked at 17th. He's the longest tenured player with the most starts in Franchise history. He gave this team 209 games.

He was no slouch at Center for this franchise. Very much an unsung hero. Certainly deserves his name on the list.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-20-2019, 03:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I have Meester ranked at 17th. He's the longest tenured player with the most starts in Franchise history. He gave this team 209 games.

He was no slouch at Center for this franchise. Very much an unsung hero. Certainly deserves his name on the list.

Brad Meester...oh man where do I start with this one.

Meester has the most starts. Ok fair enough. If I stopped 1000 Jaguar fans down at the stadium and asked them to name me the 13 best Jaguars of ALL TIME none of them would say Meester.

If your gonna put him on the list, put him in the 20’s. Don’t put him as the 13th best Jaguar of all time. Wow

What a silly list. I’ve asked on other sites who made the list, does anybody know?

@Caldrac I really like your list

2. Jimmy Smith
3. Keenan McCardell
4. Tony Boselli
5. Mark Brunell
6. Maurice Jones-Drew
7. Tony Brackens
8. John Henderson
9. Marcus Stroud
10. Donovin Darius
11. Rashean Mathis
12. Jalen Ramsey
13. Aaron Beasley
14. Mike Peterson
15. Daryl Smith
16. Calais Campbell
17. Brad Meester
18. Yannick Ngakoue
19. Greg Jones
20. Mike Hollis
21. Josh Scobee
22. A.J Bouye
23. Paul Posluszny
24. David Garrard
25. Rob Meier

I based my list just on memories. I know I'll catch [BLEEP] for not having a TE like Brady or Lewis on here. Or maybe for not listing Leon Searcy. But I based it on personal recollection. These 25 stand out for memorable plays, good years on good teams, longevity, etc.

I'm with this. May change one or two but basically this. When you read the name your brain just springs something up about them. We are know the main guys but I was so excited when we got Mathis, Smith and Peterson were beasts in the middle, Stroud and Henderson being one of the most disruptive DT's going, I'll always have a soft spot for Poz a true warrior, Calais, Yannick and Jalen have given us something we've not seen here before.

I have one question though for everyone, would the worst 25 list be easier?!

Daryl Smith gets the 12th spot.

Meester was decent prior to tearing his bicep. After that he was awful

(07-21-2019, 05:56 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Meester was decent prior to tearing his bicep.  After that he was awful

Is he in your top 25?

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-22-2019, 12:21 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 05:56 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Meester was decent prior to tearing his bicep.  After that he was awful

Is he in your top 25?

I guess not considering he tore his bicep midway through his career (and had well below average strength thereafter).  I'm coming to the realization that our Top 25 kind of sucks when you solely factor in each players contributions solely to the Jaguars.

(07-21-2019, 12:50 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
2. Jimmy Smith
3. Keenan McCardell
4. Tony Boselli
5. Mark Brunell
6. Maurice Jones-Drew
7. Tony Brackens
8. John Henderson
9. Marcus Stroud
10. Donovin Darius
11. Rashean Mathis
12. Jalen Ramsey
13. Aaron Beasley
14. Mike Peterson
15. Daryl Smith
16. Calais Campbell
17. Brad Meester
18. Yannick Ngakoue
19. Greg Jones
20. Mike Hollis
21. Josh Scobee
22. A.J Bouye
23. Paul Posluszny
24. David Garrard
25. Rob Meier

I'm with this. May change one or two but basically this. When you read the name your brain just springs something up about them. We are know the main guys but I was so excited when we got Mathis, Smith and Peterson were beasts in the middle, Stroud and Henderson being one of the most disruptive DT's going, I'll always have a soft spot for Poz a true warrior, Calais, Yannick and Jalen have given us something we've not seen here before.

The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

Hicken went on and on about how Garrard should be higher on the list than Scobee..

Hicken is truly clueless if he believes that garbage.

At their respective position Scobee was a far, far better player for far, far longer than David Garrard ever was. And no it doesn't matter at all that QB is more important.

(07-22-2019, 10:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-21-2019, 12:50 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I'm with this. May change one or two but basically this. When you read the name your brain just springs something up about them. We are know the main guys but I was so excited when we got Mathis, Smith and Peterson were beasts in the middle, Stroud and Henderson being one of the most disruptive DT's going, I'll always have a soft spot for Poz a true warrior, Calais, Yannick and Jalen have given us something we've not seen here before.

The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

1. Blaine Gabbert-  Had great physical tools, but was terrible between the ears. 

2. Justin Blackmon- What a waste of talent! He teased us with some great performances before finally succumbing to his alcohol problems.

3. Derrick Harvey- Worst trade in Jags history when they moved up to get him. 

4. Julius Thomas- Without Manning throwing to him, he was nothing special. Waste of a lot of money.

5. Bryce Paup- First really big free agent signing who turned out to be nothing special. More money wasted.

6. Luke Joeckel- Everyone said this guy was a can't miss prospect at left tackle. They were very wrong. 

7. Byron Leftwich- His terribly slow delivery could not be overcome. Might end up being a better coach than player.

8. Reggie Williams- Had his moments on the field, but too inconsistent and a real "head case."

9. R.J. Soward- Speaking of head cases, this guy took the cake. Probably the only guy who needed a chauffer (sp) to make it to practice. I imagine T.C. still has nightmares about him.

10. Toby Gerhart- Just terrible.

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

12. Derek Cox- Traded up to get him and the guy could never stay healthy.

13. Mike Sims-Walker- Looked great in pre-season. Ketchman gushed over his receiving skills. He also couldn't stay healthy.

14. Michael Cheever- Could have been a pro-bowler only to have devastating injury to end his career just after it started.

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

16. Matt Jones- Horrible draft pick in the first round. 

17. Khalif Barnes- Had talent which never materialized. Also got into trouble off the field.

18. Blake Bortles- Why so low? It's hard to be disappointed when you've seen very little to give you hope.

19. Bryan Anger- What was Caldwell thinking? 

20. Austin Pasxtor- Very poor pass protector paid way too much in free agency.

21. Zane Beadles- Another free agent bust on the offensive line.

22. Hugh Douglas- Tied for biggest [BLEEP] in team history with

23. Jerry Porter- 

24. Terrance Knighton- Had a great nickname, but his weight problems caused him to never rech his potential.

25. Jason Myers- How could a guy kick 55 yard field goals yet cause you to hold your breath on every extra point attempt? Now a pro-bowler.

Who did I leave out?

(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 10:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

1. Blaine Gabbert-  Had great physical tools, but was terrible between the ears. 

2. Justin Blackmon- What a waste of talent! He teased us with some great performances before finally succumbing to his alcohol problems.

4. Julius Thomas- Without Manning throwing to him, he was nothing special. Waste of a lot of money.

5. Bryce Paup- First really big free agent signing who turned out to be nothing special. More money wasted.

6. Luke Joeckel- Everyone said this guy was a can't miss prospect at left tackle. They were very wrong. 

7. Byron Leftwich- His terribly slow delivery could not be overcome. Might end up being a better coach than player.

8. Reggie Williams- Had his moments on the field, but too inconsistent and a real "head case."

9. R.J. Soward- Speaking of head cases, this guy took the cake. Probably the only guy who needed a chauffer (sp) to make it to practice. I imagine T.C. still has nightmares about him.

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

13. Mike Sims-Walker- Looked great in pre-season. Ketchman gushed over his receiving skills. He also couldn't stay healthy.

14. Michael Cheever- Could have been a pro-bowler only to have devastating injury to end his career just after it started.

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

17. Khalif Barnes- Had talent which never materialized. Also got into trouble off the field.

18. Blake Bortles- Why so low? It's hard to be disappointed when you've seen very little to give you hope.

23. Jerry Porter- 

24. Terrance Knighton- Had a great nickname, but his weight problems caused him to never rech his potential.

25. Jason Myers- How could a guy kick 55 yard field goals yet cause you to hold your breath on every extra point attempt? Now a pro-bowler.

Who did I leave out?
Pretty damn good list.

I saw a good amount of players I would list. I'll knock mine out in the morning for sure.

(07-22-2019, 07:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

23. Jerry Porter- 

Who did I leave out?
Pretty damn good list.

I saw a good amount of players I would list. I'll knock mine out in the morning for sure.

I look forward to seeing who I left out.

I find it odd when players who had their career cut short by injury make someone's "worst" list.  
Seems at least a bit unfair, and at worst ill-informed.
Listing players who were undrafted and signed dirt cheap seems weird to me as well.

My top Jags list is basically Fred Taylor followed by 24 other dudes that we could all shift around in rankings and debate about for a week. 

My worst list is basically 95% of the players associated with Gene Smith.

My worst players (Blackmon doesn’t make my list because he was a beast) his personal issues cost him.

Here’s mine

1. Derrick Harvey - was supposed to put us over the top.
2. Quinton Groves- he was supposed to do the same
3. Leftwich - I will never forgive the Jags with how they ran Brunell out of town after 4 playoff years and Pro Bowls and 2 AFC title games. Leftwich was a pitcher not a QB
4. Gabbert - traded up for him. He was terrible
5. Bortles - something happened to him after his rookie year. He honestly can’t throw a spiral.
6. Joke - just ran out of developmental time around here
7. Alualu - how did he go in round 1. He was a 5th all day
8. Matt Jones - long, slow strides. Dropped a game winner vs Cleveland in the end zone
9. Reggie Williams - he was supposed to be the 3rd best WR that draft. Andre Johnson went number 5 overall and we got stuck with Williams.
10. RJ Soward - Waste of time
11. Hugh Douglas - we signed him at 32 years old I think. Mistake
12. Bryan Anger - in the 3rd round ahead of R.Wilson
13. Cheever - injuries
14. Beadles- product of Manning
15. Julius Thomas - product of Manning
16. Mike Thomas - we gave him 9million to be our WR1. Lol
17. Paup - couldn’t cover the TE at all
18. Aaron Kaumpman - wasted FA signing
19. Reggie Nelson - terrible angles and couldn’t tackle
20. Patrick Johnson - I remember he was a WR for us at one time
21. Troy Edwards - he paired up with Johnson and it was one of our weakest points at the WR spot.
22. Toby Gearhart - wasted money...again
23. Andre Branch - 2nd round pick that made garbage time plays
24. Troy Williamson - more wasted money
25. Justin Durant - another gene smith quality pick

(07-23-2019, 03:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: My worst players (Blackmon doesn’t make my list because he was a beast) his personal issues cost him.

Here’s mine

1. Derrick Harvey - was supposed to put us over the top.
2. Quinton Groves- he was supposed to do the same
3. Leftwich - I will never forgive the Jags with how they ran Brunell out of town after 4 playoff years and Pro Bowls and 2 AFC title games. Leftwich was a pitcher not a QB
4. Gabbert - traded up for him. He was terrible
5. Bortles - something happened to him after his rookie year. He honestly can’t throw a spiral.
6. Joke - just ran out of developmental time around here
7. Alualu - how did he go in round 1. He was a 5th all day
8. Matt Jones - long, slow strides. Dropped a game winner vs Cleveland in the end zone
9. Reggie Williams - he was supposed to be the 3rd best WR that draft. Andre Johnson went number 5 overall and we got stuck with Williams.
10. RJ Soward - Waste of time
11. Hugh Douglas - we signed him at 32 years old I think. Mistake
12. Bryan Anger - in the 3rd round ahead of R.Wilson
13. Cheever - injuries
14. Beadles- product of Manning
15. Julius Thomas - product of Manning
16. Mike Thomas - we gave him 9million to be our WR1. Lol
17. Paup - couldn’t cover the TE at all
18. Aaron Kaumpman - wasted FA signing
19. Reggie Nelson - terrible angles and couldn’t tackle
20. Patrick Johnson - I remember he was a WR for us at one time
21. Troy Edwards - he paired up with Johnson and it was one of our weakest points at the WR spot.
22. Toby Gearhart - wasted money...again
23. Andre Branch - 2nd round pick that made garbage time plays
24. Troy Williamson - more wasted money
25. Justin Durant - another gene smith quality pick

Sounds like you're blaming Leftwich for being drafted by the Jags.. not the Jags for drafting him.

No way is Leftwich the 3rd worst.

(07-23-2019, 12:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd when players who had their career cut short by injury make someone's "worst" list.  
Listing players who were undrafted and signed dirt cheap seems weird to me as well.

My top Jags list is basically Fred Taylor followed by 24 other dudes that we could all shift around in rankings and debate about for a week. 

Agree.  That said, if there is a body of work (~ 3 years) in which you could see some dude is pretty much going to be a bust prior to the their injury then I think it's fair game to put him on the list.

(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 10:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

23. Jerry Porter- 

Who did I leave out?

Caldwell has enough to worry about without being blamed for Gene "We wanted to draft a starter" Smith's mistakes.

(07-23-2019, 12:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd when players who had their career cut short by injury make someone's "worst" list.  

To be clear, my list was comprised of players whose time in Jacksonville created the most disappointment in our fans. Tavian Banks, in his very brief career, showed signs that he could become an exciting and productive player. He demonstrated rare skills and his injury was extremely unfortunate. The same with Cheever. 

Lists like this are subjective and fun ways to kill time during the boring off-season. I clarified my criterion as "most disapponting" rather than "worst." You are entitled to your opinion, but to call my list "unfair, ill-informed and weird" is way too harsh.