Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Top 25 Jaguars

(07-23-2019, 10:57 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd when players who had their career cut short by injury make someone's "worst" list.  
Seems at least a bit unfair, and at worst ill-informed.
Listing players who were undrafted and signed dirt cheap seems weird to me as well.

My top Jags list is basically Fred Taylor followed by 24 other dudes that we could all shift around in rankings and debate about for a week. 

My worst list is basically 95% of the players associated with Gene Smith.

To be clear, my list was comprised of players whose time in Jacksonville created the most disappointment in our fans. Tavian Banks, in his very brief career, showed signs that he could become an exciting and productive player. He demonstrated rare skills and his injury was extremely unfortunate. The same with Cheever. 

Lists like this are subjective and fun ways to kill time during the boring off-season. I clarified my criterion as "most disapponting" rather than "worst." You are entitled to your opinion, but to call my list "unfair, ill-informed and weird" is way too harsh.

Most disappointing vs "worst" involves a different criteria. 
I missed that in your post. 
Apologies. 

How was Pasztor so disappointing?  He was a street free agent cast off signed to a vet minimum. No one was really expecting anything from the guy. He was a longshot. 

Caldwell did not draft Anger, btw.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Storm Johnson RB should be in the Top 25. Dude had 2 TDs in his 6 game NFL Career. Imagine had he played 10 years (160 games) he would have had 53 TDs

(07-23-2019, 11:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 10:57 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: To be clear, my list was comprised of players whose time in Jacksonville created the most disappointment in our fans. Tavian Banks, in his very brief career, showed signs that he could become an exciting and productive player. He demonstrated rare skills and his injury was extremely unfortunate. The same with Cheever. 

Lists like this are subjective and fun ways to kill time during the boring off-season. I clarified my criterion as "most disapponting" rather than "worst." You are entitled to your opinion, but to call my list "unfair, ill-informed and weird" is way too harsh.

Most disappointing vs "worst" involves a different criteria. 
I missed that in your post. 
Apologies. 

How was Pasztor so disappointing?  He was a street free agent cast off signed to a vet minimum. No one was really expecting anything from the guy. He was a longshot. 

Caldwell did not draft Anger, btw.
No problem. Also, thanks for the corrections on Pasztor and Anger. Both were correct.

Marcus Stroud comes in at #9

Next up? Brackens? Mathis? McCardell?

Mathis comes in at number 8
McCardell makes the list at 7
Brackens is number 6

Then it will be
MJD at 5
Brunell 4
Smith 3
Boselli 2
Taylor 1

5th best was Brunell
4th was MJD
3rd was Jimmy

That leaves Boselli and Taylor.

Boselli probably makes number 1

In my opinion it's hard to really get the order of the top 3 settled.  All three players should eventually be in THOF.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I am outraged Chris Doering is nowhere on this list.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 10:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

1. Blaine Gabbert-  Had great physical tools, but was terrible between the ears. Nope, he had several OCs, didn't have decent WRs for their firt 2 or 3 years and Del Rio was always awful at developing Offensive players. Gabbert is nowhere near dumb.

2. Justin Blackmon- What a waste of talent! He teased us with some great performances before finally succumbing to his alcohol problems.

3. Derrick Harvey- Worst trade in Jags history when they moved up to get him. Wrong again, actually that was a great trade wasted on a horrible player. We went like from 29 to 9 for a 3rd or something like that

4. Julius Thomas- Without Manning throwing to him, he was nothing special. Waste of a lot of money.

5. Bryce Paup- First really big free agent signing who turned out to be nothing special. More money wasted.

6. Luke Joeckel- Everyone said this guy was a can't miss prospect at left tackle. They were very wrong. 

7. Byron Leftwich- His terribly slow delivery could not be overcome. Might end up being a better coach than player. Dude was decent and much better than Garrard overall, Garrard had 1 good season. He also didn't laugh like an idiot after an INT or a loss like Garrard

8. Reggie Williams- Had his moments on the field, but too inconsistent and a real "head case." Dude was decent, I followed him every game, and there were several plays where he was open and Leftwich never looked his way. He could have been a decent #2. BTW Reggie only got into problems when Matt Jones arrived

9. R.J. Soward- Speaking of head cases, this guy took the cake. Probably the only guy who needed a chauffer (sp) to make it to practice. I imagine T.C. still has nightmares about him.

10. Toby Gerhart- Just terrible.

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

12. Derek Cox- Traded up to get him and the guy could never stay healthy. He was decent here

13. Mike Sims-Walker- Looked great in pre-season. Ketchman gushed over his receiving skills. He also couldn't stay healthy.

14. Michael Cheever- Could have been a pro-bowler only to have devastating injury to end his career just after it started.

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

16. Matt Jones- Horrible draft pick in the first round. 

17. Khalif Barnes- Had talent which never materialized. Also got into trouble off the field. Another guy who was decent and doesn't deserve to be on the list.

18. Blake Bortles- Why so low? It's hard to be disappointed when you've seen very little to give you hope.

19. Bryan Anger- What was Caldwell thinking? 

20. Austin Pasxtor- Very poor pass protector paid way too much in free agency.

21. Zane Beadles- Another free agent bust on the offensive line.

22. Hugh Douglas- Tied for biggest [BLEEP] in team history with

23. Jerry Porter- 

24. Terrance Knighton- Had a great nickname, but his weight problems caused him to never rech his potential. He had like 1 bad season and he is here? I think he was a pro bowler one season

25. Jason Myers- How could a guy kick 55 yard field goals yet cause you to hold your breath on every extra point attempt? Now a pro-bowler.

Who did I leave out?

We had a few CB who were awful, WRs, OL (Jeff Smith lol).

(07-31-2019, 12:18 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

1. Blaine Gabbert-  Had great physical tools, but was terrible between the ears. Nope, he had several OCs, didn't have decent WRs for their firt 2 or 3 years and Del Rio was always awful at developing Offensive players. Gabbert is nowhere near dumb.

2. Justin Blackmon- What a waste of talent! He teased us with some great performances before finally succumbing to his alcohol problems.

3. Derrick Harvey- Worst trade in Jags history when they moved up to get him. Wrong again, actually that was a great trade wasted on a horrible player. We went like from 29 to 9 for a 3rd or something like that

4. Julius Thomas- Without Manning throwing to him, he was nothing special. Waste of a lot of money.

5. Bryce Paup- First really big free agent signing who turned out to be nothing special. More money wasted.

6. Luke Joeckel- Everyone said this guy was a can't miss prospect at left tackle. They were very wrong. 

7. Byron Leftwich- His terribly slow delivery could not be overcome. Might end up being a better coach than player. Dude was decent and much better than Garrard overall, Garrard had 1 good season. He also didn't laugh like an idiot after an INT or a loss like Garrard

8. Reggie Williams- Had his moments on the field, but too inconsistent and a real "head case." Dude was decent, I followed him every game, and there were several plays where he was open and Leftwich never looked his way. He could have been a decent #2. BTW Reggie only got into problems when Matt Jones arrived

9. R.J. Soward- Speaking of head cases, this guy took the cake. Probably the only guy who needed a chauffer (sp) to make it to practice. I imagine T.C. still has nightmares about him.

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

12. Derek Cox- Traded up to get him and the guy could never stay healthy. He was decent here

13. Mike Sims-Walker- Looked great in pre-season. Ketchman gushed over his receiving skills. He also couldn't stay healthy.

14. Michael Cheever- Could have been a pro-bowler only to have devastating injury to end his career just after it started.

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

17. Khalif Barnes- Had talent which never materialized. Also got into trouble off the field. Another guy who was decent and doesn't deserve to be on the list.

18. Blake Bortles- Why so low? It's hard to be disappointed when you've seen very little to give you hope.

23. Jerry Porter- 

24. Terrance Knighton- Had a great nickname, but his weight problems caused him to never rech his potential. He had like 1 bad season and he is here? I think he was a pro bowler one season

25. Jason Myers- How could a guy kick 55 yard field goals yet cause you to hold your breath on every extra point attempt? Now a pro-bowler.

Who did I leave out?

We had a few CB who were awful, WRs, OL (Jeff Smith lol).
Jaguars traded their 1st, two 3rd's and a 4th rounder for Harvey. 

I included "Pot Roast" because he never was able to follow up that one excellent season. He had the nightclub incident damaging his eye and always struggled with his weight. My list was made up of "most disappointing," players- not worst players. 

Cox falls in the same category. Jaguars loved the kid so much that they traded next season's 2nd rounder to take him in the 3rd. At his best, he was a good player but was always hurt.

Leftwich and Williams were decent as you said. That's the reason they made my list. You don't want your 1st round pick to be a "decent" player.

All that being said, I incorrectly interpreted the saying "terrible between the ears." It does mean dumb and Gabbert certainly was not that- as you stated. I used this saying due to Gabbert's inability to handle pressure from the opposing defense. He would often just "collapse" when getting pressured in the pocket. My terminology was not correct so I learned something. Thank you for that!
I do stand by my rating Gabbert number 1 on my list of most disappointing. After he was drafted, there were times he looked like he'd become a great quarterback. I remember watching these moments and saying it looked like the Jags had their true "franchise quarterback" of the future. Unfortunately, his inability to handle pressure did not allow this to happen.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019, 04:59 PM by Rockman1966.)

(07-22-2019, 06:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 10:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The worst 25 would be a fantastic list for a lot of people on here. Whether that player didn't live up to expectations, came in through free agency, talked smacked after they left or cost us draft picks in the process that list would be very interesting to see.

Your last comment about the worst 25 made me think. My list below is mostly made of the most disappointing Jaguars who never lived up to expectations. Here it is:

1. Blaine Gabbert-  Had great physical tools, but was terrible between the ears. 

3. Derrick Harvey- Worst trade in Jags history when they moved up to get him. 

7. Byron Leftwich- His terribly slow delivery could not be overcome. Might end up being a better coach than player.

8. Reggie Williams- Had his moments on the field, but too inconsistent and a real "head case."

11. Andre Branch- Ditto

12. Derek Cox- Traded up to get him and the guy could never stay healthy.

15. Tavian Banks- Ditto

17. Khalif Barnes- Had talent which never materialized. Also got into trouble off the field.

23. Jerry Porter- 

24. Terrance Knighton- Had a great nickname, but his weight problems caused him to never rech his potential.

Who did I leave out?

Great job!
This brings back so many terrible memories. Douglas, Paup (played out of position) Porter, Soward, Jones, Blackmon (wasted talent).  I may have nightmares tonight.

I hope Taven doesn’t make the list with an Alualu type of pick.

(07-31-2019, 06:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I hope Taven doesn’t make the list with an Alualu type of pick.

Taven was picked much later than Alualu. 29th is very different than 10th. 

Bryan also went right where analysts projected him and several analysts expressed how they thought he'd go higher. 

There are no Gene Smithisms connected to the Bryan pick. Like you, I hope we aren't putting him on any worst of lists one day, but we have little to go on right now. I'm optimistic he can find his groove as we get nearer to the reg. season.

(07-31-2019, 03:23 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 12:18 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: We had a few CB who were awful, WRs, OL (Jeff Smith lol).
Jaguars traded their 1st, two 3rd's and a 4th rounder for Harvey. Still a great trade imo. Awful player though

I included "Pot Roast" because he never was able to follow up that one excellent season. He had the nightclub incident damaging his eye and always struggled with his weight. My list was made up of "most disappointing," players- not worst players. 

Cox falls in the same category. Jaguars loved the kid so much that they traded next season's 2nd rounder to take him in the 3rd. At his best, he was a good player but was always hurt.

Leftwich and Williams were decent as you said. That's the reason they made my list. You don't want your 1st round pick to be a "decent" player. Yeah, I guess, especially top 10 picks

All that being said, I incorrectly interpreted the saying "terrible between the ears." It does mean dumb and Gabbert certainly was not that- as you stated. I used this saying due to Gabbert's inability to handle pressure from the opposing defense. He would often just "collapse" when getting pressured in the pocket. My terminology was not correct so I learned something. Thank you for that! Yeah, that was his biggest downfall at least here with the Jags. And I do understand that he is the biggest disappointment for a lot of people
I do stand by my rating Gabbert number 1 on my list of most disappointing. After he was drafted, there were times he looked like he'd become a great quarterback. I remember watching these moments and saying it looked like the Jags had their true "franchise quarterback" of the future. Unfortunately, his inability to handle pressure did not allow this to happen.

Dang, we've had Gabbert and Bortles... those are 2 of the worst QBs in the last 2 decades or more...

(07-23-2019, 03:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: My worst players (Blackmon doesn’t make my list because he was a beast) his personal issues cost him.

Here’s mine

1. Derrick Harvey - was supposed to put us over the top.
2. Quinton Groves- he was supposed to do the same
3. Leftwich - I will never forgive the Jags with how they ran Brunell out of town after 4 playoff years and Pro Bowls and 2 AFC title games. Leftwich was a pitcher not a QB
4. Gabbert - traded up for him. He was terrible
5. Bortles - something happened to him after his rookie year. He honestly can’t throw a spiral.
6. Joke - just ran out of developmental time around here
7. Alualu - how did he go in round 1. He was a 5th all day
8. Matt Jones - long, slow strides. Dropped a game winner vs Cleveland in the end zone
9. Reggie Williams - he was supposed to be the 3rd best WR that draft. Andre Johnson went number 5 overall and we got stuck with Williams.
10. RJ Soward - Waste of time
11. Hugh Douglas - we signed him at 32 years old I think. Mistake
12. Bryan Anger - in the 3rd round ahead of R.Wilson
13. Cheever - injuries
14. Beadles- product of Manning
15. Julius Thomas - product of Manning
16. Mike Thomas - we gave him 9million to be our WR1. Lol
17. Paup - couldn’t cover the TE at all
18. Aaron Kaumpman - wasted FA signing Dude got hurt but was a pretty good player, same with Reggie Hayward
19. Reggie Nelson - terrible angles and couldn’t tackle You do realize he is been in the league for like 10 years as a starter (Not sure if he was even a pro bowler). Coaching can make the difference. He was nowhere near terrible for us.
20. Patrick Johnson - I remember he was a WR for us at one time
21. Troy Edwards - he paired up with Johnson and it was one of our weakest points at the WR spot. You don't seem to have a good memory at all. For the Steelers? sure he was a bust, he was very decent for us
22. Toby Gearhart - wasted money...again
23. Andre Branch - 2nd round pick that made garbage time plays
24. Troy Williamson - more wasted money
25. Justin Durant - another gene smith quality pick Doesn't really surprise me coming from you... Durant was pretty good for us and still went to play as a starter for the Cowboys and some other team.

Soooo nobody mentioned Fred Taylor's response? Keepin it classy..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...r-over-me/
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Fred got salty.

He'd have my vote over Boselli.

His talent was so incredibly rare and what he did above and beyond the x's and o's probably affected the scoreboard more than Boselli's incredible feats at LT.

Fred should have been #1

(08-01-2019, 11:53 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Soooo nobody mentioned Fred Taylor's response? Keepin it classy..

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...r-over-me/

I can understand his frustration.

He has been overlooked and underrated his entire career.

His rookie year saw him rush for over 1200 yards and score 17 TDs, which would have been sufficient for rookie of the year consideration most years.  But the year he came out, he went up against Randy Moss, who commanded all of the attention and media hype.

He is in the top twenty all time during an era where the running game began to wane in comparison to the running game, but doesn't get credit for that.

He was dogged most of his career by the whole "Fragile Fred" label.  Yet in a head to head comparison against a man whose career was just over half as long as his, but suddenly that doesn't matter in the analysis.

I cringe at his sentiment that Boselli being ranked over him is a joke for several reasons.  First, Boselli was a great player and should be in the hall of fame.  Secondly, much of Taylor's early success is attributable to Boselli and his dominant run blocking.  I think to the extent his response trashes Boselli-willingly or not-is most unfortunate and will earn him some consternation from observers.

But I can see why he would be frustrated given the things that transpired over his career.

I think either could have been named the best overall and most Jaguars fans wouldn't have a problem either way.

Perhaps to avoid hard feelings, just naming a top 25 team and not ranking the players would have been better.

But I love all those guys.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

How close are he and Boselli? Is it possible that it was said tongue in cheek and misconstrued? I know I hear Oesher and other guys giving Boselli crap from time to time.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]